Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Regular Visitor
fh78,-fr5hlxp
Accepted Solution

OUTGOING MAIL SERVER problems

[ Edited ]

It looks like the Sky switchover to Yahoo may have led to a change in the "port number" needed for your outgoing server settings.  I have not been able to send outgoing emails for 24 hours from my iMac using Mail.  None of Sky's description about the settings bother to refer to "port number".

When I checked my iPhone settings for outgoing email (which worked) I found the port number was 465.

I went back to my iMac Mail settings and found it was to 'default ports', which by the way included 465.

Any way I changed the setting to set 'custom port' = 465.

This worked!! I now have outgoing email again.

Maybe a kick in the gonads is what is needed!!!

This will probably work with any mail package.

Give me loads of kudos!

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Regular Visitor
Dawn-xx

Re: OUTGOING MAIL SERVER problems

Just tried this - unfortunately it didn't work for me - has anyone any other solutions?

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Visitor
BerkshireUser

Doesn't work for me either - mine was already on 465. It was working up until yesterday, now; nothing. :smileysad:

Occasional Visitor
Pudguy

This is SOOOO annoying. When are they getting it fixed? My MAC is not downloading anything, until I click on the sky password 3 times. The mail icon justs sits there, bouncing away, seeking my attention. 

HURRY UP SKY!

Super User
caesarome

Dawn-xx wrote:

Just tried this - unfortunately it didn't work for me - has anyone any other solutions?

Are you using:

smtp.tools.sky.com

To send your emails ?

__________________________________________________________________________________________.

If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
I do not work for Sky.
Occasional Visitor
Philinghorn

Hi,

I have 4 Sky email accounts, on my Mac using Mac Mail, 3 accounts worked ok, 1 would not send email. All settings for all acounts were the same ?!?

I changed the outgoung port to custom 465 - even though 465 is a default port. Now it works ?!?!?

Thank you fh78

Occasional Visitor
Sushi.

Thanks for the port info - worked for me just now.

:smileyhappy:

Regular Visitor
Dawn-xx

Still doesn't work for me - I phoned them and apparently there are similar issues with all mail clients (not just Mac mail) and their advice is to use Yahoo for the time being whilst they find a solution

Visitor
TeeGeeZone

I had the same problem with my main user account but not with two other user accounts. I changed the port to custom 465 and I can now send mail! Many thanks fh78,-fr5hlxp for your helpful post.

FuriousD

Just went and put 465 in custom box and the email sent.

Many thanks!
D

Contributor
Sally64

I still can't send emails since yesterday. I tried switching to custom port 465 but no change. I have Tiscali as my incoming mail server and am receiving emails with no problem. Anyone in a similar situation?

Regular Visitor
fh78,-fr5hlxp

It's me again, your friendly solution provider!!!!

For those who have not succeeded in getting outgoing email to work yet, make sure that you are not changing to POP if you were using IMAP before, nor vice-versa, unless you also change your preferred protocol on the Sky email server (accessed via your browser at your My Sky).  Both ends of the communication channel must be set to the same protocol of course.

If you are sure this is set correctly for you, then if you are using port 465 try switching to use default ports.

If this does not work try port 25 or 587, other usual default ports.

If neither work then try going back to port 465 - you never know it might work this time!

Contributor
Sally64

Thanks for the additional help, but still can't send any emails and now keep being asked for  my password which is being rejected? Will give them a call.

Thanks again

Regular Visitor
Dawn-xx

I still can't get send mail from my Mac mail client - SKY don't even seem to mention this issue in their (rare) updates - they just bang on about mails that either haven't got migrated or have been duplicated. It's all pretty pants really!

Regular Visitor
Dawn-xx

I have no idea how to inlcude a link to this post but if you search for "SMTP stopped working UPDATE" posted by MB1968 on 4/4, there is a solution that worked for me and I can now send emails fine from my MAC mail client