Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Occasional Visitor
Doom+and+Gloom

Not sure if my Sky HD box is set up correctly.

I had Sky HD installed over 2 years ago and found little difference between normal and SD & HD channels in terms of picture quality so I cancelled my HD subscription!  

However went over to friends house yesterday and watched a programme on one of the HD channels and the difference between the HD channel and the same channel on standard view was clearly noticeable.  My friend suggested that the set up for my TV/Sky Box might be wrong but I cannot find any instructions on the internet to confirm. 

My Sky HD box is connected to my TV by a scart and a HDMI cable.

My TV is a Panasonic Viera and before the switch over my TV was set up as button 1 for BBC1, button 2 for BBC2, button 3 for ITV, button 4 for Ch4 and button 5 for Sky TV.  The first 4 buttons no longer find picture but still access Sky TV through button 5.

My friend thinks I was trying to watch HD programmes through the scart connection rather than the HDMI connection? 

Should the Sky HD box should be connected by scart as well as HDMI?  How can I check whether the Sky HD box was set up correctly?  I have tried reading the Sky+ HD pdf manual for clues as to the correct setup but I am afraid I could not find any answers.

Are you able to help?  Do not want to pay for the services of a professional installer if this is something I can do myself by changing the defaults on my TV and/or Sky HD box.

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Community Coordinator
Robert

Re: Not sure if my Sky HD box is set up correctly.

Hi Doom+and+Gloom, 

We recommend for best viewing that you connec only the HDMI cable between the Sky+HD box and your HD TV as the Scart connection when connected can take over and default your tv to a non-HD input.

To check you have everything set up and connected properly, please see our Self Set-Up guide on the Help Centre.

Robert
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Occasional Visitor
Doom+and+Gloom

Thanks Robert.

My Sky HD box was set up by one of your own engineers so I had assumed that the setup was correct.  It is a pity that I have left it so long to realise that my picture quality when watching HD channels was not optimised!  

Will check out the instructions you sent me to see if the picture quality for the HD channels improve.  Should the picture quality for normal channles also improve (similar to the upscaling funtion on some DVD players)?

Thanks

Gordon 

Super User
Mark39

Actually there's nothing wrong with having the Sky box connected by both HDMI and Scart cables, providing you realise that the TV may automatically switch to the Scart input. You would then need to manually switch to the HDMI input to see HD. Robert's recommendation takes away that automatic switching possibility. Yes, the Sky box will upscale standard definition programmes via the HDMI connection so they should look a little better too, though obviously not HD.

Senior Member (Platinum)
Kenneth+M

Sounds like you've not been selecting the correct input source - HDMI - on the Panasonic Viera in order to view Sky HD ( and SD channels as well ).  The HD box should ideally be connected to HDMI 1 on the Panny, so that the tv will autoswitch to the Sky HD box when the box is brought out of standby ( and when no other connected equipment is being used ).  You will then, by default, be watching Sky HD through the correct input.  Unfortunately there will be no noticeable improvement on the SD channels.

You can 'fast switch' between inputs on the tv by pressing 'tv' then 'help' on the Sky remote repeatedly to toggle through the input source menu on the Panny.

Occasional Visitor
Doom+and+Gloom

[ Edited ]

Kenneth,

My TV was defaulted to switch on to TV first.  Now it is set to HDMI.  In addition I have disconnected the scart lead so there is no internal conflict etc.  All the programmes seem much clearer now. (It now appears that my HD subscription was a waste of money - paying for a feature that the engineer did not enabale/set up correctly).  At least I can now watch the free HD content as it should be.

The only downside appears to be playing my DVD player.  When using the TV option whenever I switched on my DVD player it played automatically (when ever it was switched on).  Now I have to change the AVI settings from HDMI back to AV1 (then remember to change back again when the DVD player is finished.

Is there any other work around?

Thanks

Gordon

Senior Member (Platinum)
Kenneth+M

There may be, if you have a Panasonic DVD that is Viera-Link capable.  Otherwise just press the 'tv' then 'help' button on the Sky remote to change inputs.  If you're feeling flush, get a good Logitech Harmony remote with learning function that can be programmed to do just about everything you want on your AV setup with minimal button pushes.

Occasional Visitor
jenniferm

I think you need to access sky via the hdmi  av channel rather than the buttons on your tv, it sounds like you were watching via the scart connection

Occasional Visitor
rob+mason

I have a new HD box, but it will only record one programme and let me watch another at the same time. This seems to be a problem. I've not had this happen before (re old box). I’m considering BT vision as an alternative; I’m really sick of Sky and its appalling service.

Super User
Mark39

I assume you have two cables from the dish? Make sure your Sky box isn't set to single feed mode.

Occasional Visitor
A+singha

i am having problem with my sky+hd as when i switch from hd channel to no hd and otherway around too. i have already have tv and box connected by hdmi cable but screen flashes and somtime connection breaks and tv screen appears "no signal". why is that , can any1 help plss??

Super User
caesarome

Try a planner rebuild because if it is an error on your hard drive doing this could fix it:

http://www.sky.com/helpcentre/tv/sky-plus-hd/recording/guide-to-performing-a-planner-rebuild/

__________________________________________________________________________________________.

If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
I do not work for Sky.
Occasional Visitor
jennyemma

hello i need help with my sky box

Super User
Mark39

What's the problem?

Community Coordinator
Anne-M

Hi jennyemma, 

Did you manage to resolve the issue with your sky+ box? Is there anything we can assist with?

Thanks, 

Anne
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.