Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Occasional Visitor
callumbm
Accepted Solution

New Sky GO service to exclude vital services on phones and tablets?

I was excited to hear about Sky Go replacing Sky Player. I thought the principle behind it was simple enough, combining live channel streams and VOD under one package that could be accessed by any device. But unfortunately it seems Sky has chosen to omit key services from what would seem like the most beneficial devices to run such a package from: phones and internet tablets. From this PDF it seems that the only services the owner of a tablet or phone will receive from Sky GO is the ability to stream Sky News, or sports if you have that package. I was wondering if someone could shine some light on this. Am I interpreting the chart correctly? If so, why has Sky chosen not to allow its customers to access live streams of premium channels or VOD on phones or tablets? It seems pretty useless totally rebranding Sky Player if you're not going allow your customers to use it on increasingly common and more convenient devices...

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Community Coordinator
Robert

Re: New Sky GO service to exclude vital services on phones and tablets?

Hi callumbm, 

Thanks for your feedback regarding this, there are plans to add more channels to the mobile devices in the future however this is dependant on the necessary rights with the content holders being obtained which may take time.

I'm afraid we have no more information relating to your query on the lack of VOD on mobile devices, since this is not available on these devices with Sky Mobile TV there is no loss or change at present with the transition to Sky Go however again it may be a case that agreements may need to be obtained from content holders.

Robert
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
callumbm

I don't feel at the minute that I'm getting good value from Sky, especially movies, particularly when services such a LoveFilm provide on demand access to a huge catalog for almost half the cost and over a variety of devices. But thank you for your speedy and informative reply, I'll be sure to stick with Sky if what you say about more channels being added to Sky Go on tablets in the near future comes true.

Frequent Visitor
tug124

The new sky go service only appears to be available on pc , Iphone or Ipad.  Will it be coming to Android Phones ?

Super User
caesarome

tug124 wrote:

The new sky go service only appears to be available on pc , Iphone or Ipad.  Will it be coming to Android Phones ?

I have answered this in your other thread.

__________________________________________________________________________________________.

If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
I do not work for Sky.
Occasional Visitor
lodgy

hi when can i start to watch skygo on my iphone

Frequent Contributor (Bronze)
Tomfonz

Service starts on the 6th (weds) so I'm guessing from then on
Visitor
teggsie

I totally agree what's the point in paying £90 a month for TV, BB and phone when I can't get access to the sky go service  to view programmes based on my subscription such movies or streaming of some TV channels, other than sport.  What's the difference between streaming to a mobile device or a PC.  Just seems sky are going after where the money is and encouraging more sky sports subscribers.  I have no interest in sky sports, however still pay £90 per month.  I also do not get access to the 3D channel as I don't subscribe to sports. 

This is just another half baked attempt at a re-launch and to force sky player users to sign new terms and conditions and limit the amount of devices that they can view sky programmes on.  Total waste of time.

Staff (Retired)
Jenny-S

Hi teggsie,

The Sky Go service will incorporate channels based on customers subscriptions. Sky Sports will be the first channel on Sky Go, we are also adding movies very shortly which will then be followed by the entertainment channels soon after.

Jenny
Community Coordinator

Occasional Visitor
Sawney

This move to  sky go seems premature if all the channels and services we get just now wont be available at rollout. very poor. 

Regular Visitor
1kippaxcoolcat

I have just switched my second device to my wife's iPad only to find that only sports available on that platform, the only time she will need it is when I am watching sports! Very poor considering available on pc but not tablet. The reply in JULY says movies will be next & entertainment soon after, it is now November & there is one movie channel, one news channel & sports no entertainment!
Super User
caesarome

On the ipad version there should be 11 channels which is amde up of 4 movies, 5 sports, espn and sky news channels. You can view these if you subscribe to them as part of your tv package.

__________________________________________________________________________________________.

If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
I do not work for Sky.
Occasional Visitor
thomasp

how is ''customer service''defined in SKYS  rulebook. is it under lack of or non existent or appauling. take your pick.the sooner UPC get up and running the better. 

Community Coordinator
Robert

Hi Folks, 

We recently expanded the range of channels on the iOS app by introducing the rest of the Sky Movies channels and adding Anytime+ Movies to stream on-demand through WiFi.

We are also working to add the entertainment channels which we hope to have available soon however we cannot provide a date at present until things are finalised. I understand you are eager for this as are we, however as soon as we know more and are able to share information regarding this it will be posted on the forum.

Thanks for your patience.

Robert
Community Coordinator

System Admin
Callum-M