Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Occasional Visitor
jimboy

NO RF OUTPUT on Digi Box

My old Sky box was replaced with a new Sky Digi box. My old box had an RF output at the rear which I used to connect another TV in the house enabling me to watch whatever was on the main TV. The new box has not got an RF output and I have no way of connecting my 2nd TV. What can i do to get the pic back on my 2nd TV, Dont know how to without the RF Output! Is Magic eye a soloution, if so what magic eye is compatible with this box. On a side issue I wasnt happy that I didnt get a box with the same functionality as my old box, i thought it should be like for like! Both Sky and the contractor dont want to know...Aaaaagh!!!  Help!!! 

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Senior Member (Platinum)
Kenneth+M

Re: NO RF OUTPUT on Digi Box

Sounds as though you have a DRX595.  This is a receiver ( non PVR ) only.  It has no RF Out.  You will need to purchase a RF Modulator ( Scart-to-RF )  and connect your DRX595 ( Scart ) to the second tv ( RF or Aerial In ).

Some examples here ( Third Party Website ).

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Frequent Visitor
CHRISXX

"Hello Kenneth",

I was very interested in the original Post about some Sky Digiboxes not having a RF2 Output and I used the Link that You very kindly posted to the webpage that has the Scart to RF unit which includes an RF Modulator.

When I looked at the information about using one of these on a Sky Digibox the Diagram showed it being used between the Aerial and the Sky Digibox -  with the RF2 Connection being shown on the Digibox.

I had at first thought from your Post that the Scart to RF Adaptor would just be an Adaptor Lead  -  Scart one end and RF / Co-Ax plug the other.

I still cannot see how this would enable the OP to connect his other TV to the Sky Digibox that does not have the RF2 -  `Second Output`  -  ?

I must state that I am NOT particularly knowledgeable in this sort of thing so I may well be not understanding something that You had in mind  -  could You please explain to Me how this Unit could work if the Digibox does not have a RF2 Output  ?

Thanks very much for your help  -  I really am very interested in this -  in case that I get into the same situation as the OP when / if My Sky `Standard`Digibox has to be replaced.

Chris

Senior Member (Platinum)
Kenneth+M

If the box is a DRX590 with no RF Out, and if all that's required is to relay the Sky channels from the box to a second tv, the connection looks like digibox scart>RF modulator front-in>RF modulator back-out>Aerial In on the second tv using co-axial cable.  The RF Channel on the modulator needs to be selected and the analogue channels on the second tv have to be scanned to pick up the Sky signal.

If you also have a terrestrial rooftop aerial, the connection is into Aerial In on the back of the RF modulator, then out to the second tv. 

For the channel-changing function with a DRX590, a Sky X-ray remote or one of the Powermid ( or similar ) remote extenders will probably be required.

That's as I see it.  I'd ask Satcure for confirmation about this setup.  Use the email link ( technical query ) on their page. 

Frequent Visitor
CHRISXX

[ Edited ]

"Hello Kenneth",

What made Me ask You more about this is that when I saw the Diagram on the Satcure website about using the Scart to RF Modulator Unit on a Sky Digibox it was shown as connecting between the Aerial and the Digibox -  Aerial Cable In and an RF Lead out into the Digibox  -  with also a Scart connection to the Digibox.

On the Digibox the RF2 `Second Output` was shown  -  I could not understand what this was achieving -  as the RF2 Output was showing and would obviously be the connection to use to another TV  - ?

I must admit that I may have missed something else that this diagram was pertaining to  -  But why would you use a Scart to RF2 Modulator between the Aerial cable plug and the Sky Digibox  ?  -  on that diagram you would just use the RF2 Output to the Second TV [?].

Perhaps I am missing the significance of something - or reading too much into this diagram ?  -  would it be the case that IF there was NOT an RF2 Output -  the Sky OUTPUT to the Second TV would come from the Scart Lead connected to the Digibox into the RF Modulator to which You would then just connect the [Satellite Quality] Co-Ax Cable to the Second TV  ?

Sorry if this is slightly `Off Topic`  -  but I did find this diagram about the RF Modulator from the Link that You posted.

Regards,

Chris

Senior Member (Platinum)
Kenneth+M

There are two diagrams.  The first refers to a Sky digibox with RF2.  This could be used in the case where the box's own internal RF modulator has failed for some reason, and an external modulator is required to feed a picture to a second tv. 

The second diagram refers to a 'satellite receiver'  ( in this case, a DRX590 HD Multiroom box without an onboard RF2 connection ), hence the RF modulator is required to feed the picture to a second tv elsewhere in the house as required by the Original Poster.  If the OP had a standard, Sky+, or Sky+HD digibox, none of this would be necessary as all of these have RF2 onboard.  The new DRX590 is the first Sky digibox not to have RF Out, hence this extra piece of gear is required.

Frequent Visitor
CHRISXX

[ Edited ]

"Hello again Kenneth",

Thanks very much for the explanation  -  I appreciate You taking time to help Me to understand what I saw on the Satcure website about the RF Modulator  -  I did not see the second diagram  -  "Sorry".

Just a couple of questions about the `DRX590`  - As it is a HD Box I assume that the decision not to have an RF2 Output is because that would not give a HD Output [?] 

I am wondering whether Sky have any reason to have new versions of the`Standard` Digibox manufactured without an RF2 Output ?  -  Do You happen to know anything about that ?

Thank You very much for your help with this -  I really appreciate it.

Regards,

Chris

Senior Member (Platinum)
Kenneth+M

All Sky standard, Sky+ and Sky+HD boxes will in future be the DRX890 ( 500Gb hard drive - 250 for Anytime, 250 for personal use ), or, optionally at extra cost, the DRX895 ( 1Tb hard drive - 500 for Anytime, 1Tb for personal use ) ).  Older non-DRX models will eventually disappear as they are replaced at failure.  New Sky subscribers are receiving the DRX890 by default.  Both of these models have RF Out.

The DRX595 ( I've been incorrectly referring to it as a 590:smileysad: ) is officially a Multiroom HD box and is a basic  HD receiver only.  For reasons best known to Sky, they have not fitted RF Out.  Not fitting RF Out to this box is a commercial decision to which nobody outwith Sky is party, and any comments on that are speculative, so there's no point dwelling on it.

There are reported to be plans in the pipeline to introduce Planner Sharing on the DRX595 so that you will be able to share and playback the contents of your main HD box through the multiroom box.  Obviously this will all be in HD over a network.  I don't know the details, so it's best to wait and see what's announced by Sky in due course.

Frequent Visitor
CHRISXX

Thanks very much Kenneth,

The reason that I am so interested in this is because I watch Sky TV almost exclusively in My Bedroom - NOT on the `Main` TV - as this is for a very good reason and I would not be able to change -  I was wondering what will happen when My present Digibox breaks down.

I would be unable to watch the TV in the room where it is connected to the Digibox Directly.

It would also not be convenient to have the Sky Digibox installed in the Bedroom  -  for various reasons.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to Me Kenneth  -  I really appreciate your help and information.

Regards,

Chris

Visitor
jorazza

Hi Kenneth
I have been reading the above post as I too have just upgraded to a Sky+HD box and con not connect it to the bedrooms.
Mine is model DRX 890, this does not have a RF port it has a I/O port.
Is there anything I can purchase to allow viewing in the bedrooms.
Thanks
Super User
caesarome

You need to buy one of these:

iolink.jpg

__________________________________________________________________________________________.

If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
I do not work for Sky.
Visitor
jorazza

Will that allow just viewing on the tv's in the bedroom or will that enable the magic eyes also ?
Super User
caesarome

It will enable the magic eye to work and thus allowing you to watch Sky in a different room.

__________________________________________________________________________________________.

If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
I do not work for Sky.
Occasional Visitor
Getawaydriver

Been searching high and low for this rf adaptor e and best price I can find is at Satcure so have placed an order as they seem to be out of stock everywhere or twice the price as here

http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page4.htm
Occasional Visitor
Thompson+atwork

You need an io link £29.99 delivered from Maplin . Don't forget to turn RF output on on your new box it's in settings