Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference. Learn more about this message
On The Up
andyc1126

NAS Storage

Just a quick question regarding external hard drives. I have 2 switches connected throughout my home network and a Sky router.

Can I connect a NAS to one of the switches to gain acces from all other networked devices, or do I need to connect directly to the router?

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
El Capo
PaulEK

Re: NAS Storage

It will work on a switch, we have ours on a switch.

Used to work for Sky and BT ADSL tech support but please don't hate me for it :smileywink:
Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
On The Up
andyc1126

Thanks Paul, Do you have a media streamer?

On The Up
andyc1126

Just ellaborating-Does anyone have a media streamer running from a switch along with a NAS?

I wanted to know if there were any problems with the streamer accessing the NAS content if they are both running off seperate switches?

Thanks

Getting There
MrNel

Hi,

I have just plugged in a new 1TB Iomega clousd NAS and I can't get the thing to connect to the internet and it doesn't appear in the drop down list of UPnP devices? Have I spent cash on something that doesn't work with the Sky Broadband Box?

Staff
LauraMac

Hi MrNel, 

The Sky Broadband router should work with your NAS, however I would suggest contacting Iomega for additional support.   

Getting There
MrNel

If it should work, then what are the settings for the Sagem router?
Staff
Malcolm-M

MrNel, we don't provide support configuring NAS devices and while they should work (I have one from a different manufacturer) you need to approach the manufacturer for support. If you have a question about whether a specific option can be configured on our router we can try to help however we can't advise which settings need to be configured for a particular device.

Malcolm-M
I'm New Here
johnsmith5561

Hi there,

Having any problems with setting up port forwarding on your NAS systems? You can get a great deal of help by checking the following page : portforward.co.uk

Regards

John

Mentor
MattN

There should be no problem using multiple switches in your set up.  If your NAS and media streamer are both using UPnP, then you may want to increase the number of UPnP hops in the Sky router (think it's in the advance tab).  Think the default is 4 and I had problems with my Xbox and phone seeing the NAS until I increased this to 8.