Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Occasional Visitor
l-mcwilliams1965

My broadband speed is terrible,what can I do to improve it?

Just ran a speed test DL speed 0.21 MBS UL 1.11 MBS
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Senior Member (Gold)
Cymru123

Re: My broadband speed is terrible,what can I do to improve it?

Hi  l-mcwilliams1965,

Sorry to hear that your having problems with your Sky Broadband. 

Depending on which Sky Broadband your will depend on what speeds you will get. Sky Broadband Connect is upto 8mbps and If your in a Sky LLU area then you will be on Sky Broadband Lite or Unlimited which is upto 20mbps.

However Both Connect, Lite and Unlimited ADSL broadband connections are very dependent on the distance from your property to the exchange and your landline quality. The further away you are from your local exchange the slower your broadband speed will be.

There are also other factors that may contribute to slow broadband speeds such as Where you router is connected (ie BNTE5 Master Socket or extension socket/extension cable), Internal interferance, ect... 

The Sky Forum Community and Sky Advisers will be able to help you if you can follow the advice below.

1) Is your router connected to the BT NTE5 Master socket? If so please try the Test Socket? 

The test socket is shown below ( circled in red, located behind the removable faceplate on the BTNTE5/Openreach Adsl master socket) :

This will eliminate your internal wiring.

2) Once you are connected please can you post your adsl line statistics by opening a web browser window (e.g. Internet Explorer), enterhttp://192.168.0.1 in the address bar, and press Return. In the login box, enter the username admin and the password sky. You will see your adsl status with noise margin and line attenuation, connection speed. If you are able to posts these that would be useful thanks.

If you have a netgear router see below:

once logged in then look for a "show statistics button" 

or you could try this link: Show Statistics

The ADSL Line Statistics Should look something like this:

If you still can't find them then see if this helps: How to get Router Stats Guide

3) Have you tried to see if the problem still happens when using a wired ethernet connection from your router to the computer?

4) What speed did Sky estimate for your line when you ordered your broadband? You can find out by going to MySky at Sky.com

cheers

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Occasional Visitor
l-mcwilliams1965

Many thanks for your prompt reply,I will post the information shortly.
Thanks again.
Senior Member (Gold)
Cymru123

Ok, no problem.

If you need any help in finding the Test socket or ADSL line statistics then just say.

If I don't reply in time the information requested will also help the other community members in helping you.

Cheers and Nadolig Llawen (Merry Christmas)

Occasional Visitor
l-mcwilliams1965

When I plugged the lead into the test socket the connection dropped off altogether.Did I do something wrong?
Senior Member (Gold)
Cymru123

Hi l-mcwilliams1965,

I have posted a quick guide on how to connect to your Test socket which is located behind your Master Socket (on a BTNTE5 or Openreach Adsl filtered master socket). You will need a microfilter.

"Testing through the Test Socket"

To Eliminate your internal wiring you will need to locate your TEST SOCKET, this is done as if an Openreach engineer is required and the fault is found within your internal wiring and/or equipment you are liable to pay a call out charge.

A) Step A - Your Test Socket is found behind your BTNTE5 Master socket / Openreach ADSL Filtered Master Socket.

These master sockets look like the ones below:

mastersockettypes3.png

Step B - Carefully Remove the removable faceplate of the BTNTE5/Openreach ADSL Filtered Master Socket to Reveal The TEST Socket.

You will then see a test socket (Circled in red in the picture below). Please connect a Different Microfilter (ie different to the one you were already using, Then connect your router to the microfilter and plug into the TEST Socket.

This will eliminate your internal wiring.

Step C) Once you have tried the Test socket, then please post your adsl line statistics with noise margin and line attenuation, connection speed

Cheers

Senior Member (Gold)
Cymru123

Hi l-mcwilliams1965,

Is everything ok?

If you have a broadband connection, do you mind posting your ADSL Line statistics and information requested in first post.

Cheers