Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference. Learn more about this message
Getting There
Ben0710
Accepted Solution

My Sony Xperia J won't connect to my router.

Hello varied members of the Sky Help Forum,

I recently got a Sony Xperia J and as the subject matter states; it won't connect.
Everytime I try to connect it it basically says 'authentication problem'.

I've tried everything I can think of from turning it off and on, to reconnecting and holding it really close to router.

At present it is at most 3 foot away and still says there is a problem.

What can I do to try and connect it?

Kind reagrds,
Ben

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Staff
John-B

Re: My Sony Xperia J won't connect to my router.

Hey Ben0710,

Nice to see some new names on the Forum.

Are you entering your network key from the sticker on your router in capital letters?

Have you changed the encryption type from WPA to WEP?

If you can let me know when you get a chance.

Regards

John-B
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Getting There
Ben0710

Hello,
I'm happy to have joined.

I just tried to enter it in capital letters and it still came up again authentication problem.
Maybe i'm doomed to never have a Wi-Fi enabled Sony item.
Same happens with my PS3

I haven't a clue how to do that. How'd I change the encryption type?
Is it on the router or the device?

Ben

Retired Staff Member
GRF4784

Hi Ben0710,

The password you enter is normally case sensitive so can you make sure it's entered exactly the way it's shown on the bottom of your router, you can change these settings in the Sky router by entering 192.168.0.1 in t an address bar, Username is admin and the Password is sky.

Cheers,

Getting There
Ben0710

Hello.

Yeah, I've gone on router via the IP address in the search bar and the phone just won't connect.
It still says authentication problem and has a small padlock icon on the single bar.

Why do bad things happen to good people?

Ah well. I'm drawing a blank at what else to do with it.
Anyways to unlock the little padlock icon?

Ben

Retired Staff Member
Fraser-H

Hi Ben0710,

Thanks for the update. 

To change your router to WEP security, you will need to connect to your router via ethernet cable and enter in the 192.168.0.1 address as quoted previously and enter the username 'admin' and password 'sky'.

Once you have logged in, can you click on the setup/security tab and scroll down the page to where it lists the security type. Move the check mark to the WEP box, and then keep the encryption set to 64-bit. It will ask you for a random passphrase so type whatever you want into the box and click on the generate button. The code that is listed in the key 1 section will be your new wireless password so you will need to take a note of this. Once you have done this, please click on apply at the bottom of the page, and then the log out button on the top right.

Once you have done this, you will be required to enter in your new wireless key on all devices connected to the router to allow internet access. If this does not help, press and hold the reset button on the back of the router for 10 seconds which will revert it back to the details on the underside of the router.

Hope this helps.

Getting There
Ben0710

Hello Fraser.

Is it really that easy? I'll give it a try.

Thanks for all of your collective help!
I'll be sure to tell you how it went and if I can now connect to things.

Best wishes,
ben
Getting There
Ben0710

Okay. I have to go ahead and say it worked!

A big thank you to all of the Sky Staff for their help.
And hopefully others can see this advice and they get can the same help I did.

Thanks yet again.

Ben
Retired Staff Member
batweb79

Hi Ben,

Thanks for coming back and letting the community know how you got on, I'm glad to see you got it sorted. :smileyhappy:

Thanks,

Barry
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Getting There
debbie.cruddace

Hi

I got as new phone yesterday. Ex[eria E, and once it was charged i decided to look about the handset and see whats what...but cant get on line?? It sees my router, i have added the digits from sticker on the side, but its saying connected, but not REALLY connected..... do i need to change from wpa to the other one you mentioned? im totally confused now.....any ideas?

Staff
kirkie50

Hi there debbie.cruddence,

Not good to see that you are having difficulties connecting your phone to the wireless network.  If you follow the steps posted by Fraser to change to WEP and also remember that the password is case sensitive( I have made that mistake before myself)

Let us know how you get on please.

Thanks

Getting There
debbie.cruddace

nope, I ensured that I was typing password in right... ill go and try the above mentioned, but CAn I ask 1st, will it knock of any other dvices that's connected to the router at present??