Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
I'm New Here
jimliddle2249
Accepted Solution

Magic eye connected to bedroom set from main tv - viewing problems.

I successfully connected a magic eye from my main set to another in my bedroom and all was going well.  Then for some reason the remote control wouldn't work in my bedroom.  It happened around the time that I needed to replace the batteries in the remote.  Since replacing the batteries several times a "batteries low message" keeps coming up on the tv and I wonder whether there is something wrong with the remote although it has not affected viewing the main set.  I cannot even watch anything on sky on my bedroom set at there is a picture but no sound.  I would be grateful if anyone has a solution.  Many thanks

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
El Capo
PaulEK

Re: Magic eye connected to bedroom set from main tv - viewing problems.

The remote won't affect the output to your television in such a way as to stop audio from working only on the upstairs television. Have you tried removing and re-installing the magic eye?

Used to work for Sky and BT ADSL tech support but please don't hate me for it :smileywink:
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Community Coordinator
Tricia07

Hi jimliddle2249,

Try this link from the Sky Help Centre, it gives you an easy to follow guide on problems with a TV-link.

Getting There
chickster

Getting There
chickster

I have recently replaced My Main room Sky+ Box with an Upgraded Sky+HD and with HD pack, for over 10 years I have used a Magic Eye in an adjacent room, I must add on at least 3 TV.s during that time. with absolutely No problems at all.

Since installing the SkyHD box, the Magic eye does not work, there is no power light now Neither does the Sky remote work, there is a faint sky picture where it used to be. I am fairly tech savvy and knew how to turn the RF on the New HD box on. I however cant undestand why its not working, I have connected the TV link Directly to the box, again No power.

Is there an underlying problem after upgrading to HD box that Sky Are aware of? If so is there a Fix, Do I take it that I also have to Purchase a New Magic eye.

Lastly whats this mention Of the RF Channel being the same?

Regards Chickster

Retired Staff Member
Anne-M

Hi chickster,

Are you still having problems with the TV link?  

If you have tried turning the RF Out2 on another box and connect the link directly to it?  If there is still not a light coming up on the link, this suggests that the link is faulty.  

Can you let me know how you get on?

Thanks,  

Anne
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Explorer
Grumpy.Phil

Since I installed a 1TB Sky Plus HD Box in Dec I have great difficulty getting the 'Magic Eyes' from two bedrooms to work consistently. They appear to work as advertised when the Sky Box is not recording. They definitely don't work when the box is recording two channels. I have tested all the wires and connections and all are in good working order. I have tried a new 'Magic Eye' from a different company and that has the same problem. Conclusion therefore is that the Sky 1TB HD Box does not work properly with a 'Magic Eye' on the RF2 Output. Not sure if this is connected but the lights on the front of the box occasionally go mad - blinking randomly and occasionally not even moving. Anyone else with a Sky 1TB box experiencing the same problems?

El Capo
Kenneth+M

Try one of the magic eyes connected directly into RF2 on the Sky box.  Cover up the IR sensor ( slightly to the left of the blue circular recording light ) completely, so that the box responds through the magic eye, not its own sensor.  Make sure nothing else is is being fed out of RF2.

Explorer
Grumpy.Phil

I have tried this and it does work. The reason I suspect the 1TB Box is because my previous HD box worked without any problems. Next step is to try the Eye when the bedrooms can't control the sky box. They are definitely working from upstairs as I have just tried both rooms and they work as advertised. It does appear to be when the box is recording that the signal is impeded. I also considered that my Mains Powered Home Network may be the cause but I have ruled this out by turning this off when the symptoms on the box are present.

El Capo
Kenneth+M

There may be one of two issues:

1.  The power supply from the box is inadequate when it's performing two simultaneous recordings.  The RF2 Output is 9v DC to power magic eyes.  You are using a splitter.  Active or passive?   Have you experimented with just one eye without the splitter?  Some of these boxes even have problems feeding HDMI cables over just 15m in length, whereas others  ( these boxes have several versions and countries of origin ) have no problem at all.

2.  Re: the flickering lights.  A known  ( suspected, almost proven ) issue with attached devices such as amps.  See: http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-HD/Flickering-light-on-Sky-HD-box/m-p/43227/highlight/true#M5544.

For further background info, see Satcure's "Split Digibox RF Outlet for Other Tv's" ( here ).

Explorer
Grumpy.Phil

Thanks for the info. The power supply being below par does sound likely. I have the signal delivered to the other rooms via an amplifier fed 9V from RF2. As I said both eyes worked fine until the new box arrived. Sounds like time to get it sorted with a warranty call!

Retired Staff Member
GregorA

Hi Grumpy.Phil,

Welcome to the Sky Forum:smileyhappy:

I see from your post you were having problems with your Magic Eye. Have you managed to get this sorted or have you got in contact with us directly to discuss further?

Regards.

Explorer
Grumpy.Phil

Not sorted yet. Trying something else - moved the box and sorted the wires to see if that helps. Is this covered under the warranty for a box?

El Capo
Kenneth+M

Check the co-ax cable for bad connections. Clean up if necessary.  This sometimes causes the flickering lights.

Retired Staff Member
Anne-M

Hi Grumpy.Phil, 

I was just wondering if moving the box had made any difference to this TV link issue? You mentioned warranty on your last post, if the box is installed within the last 12 months (manufacturers warranty) or it's been replaced by a service call with Sky within the last 90 days then there will be cover on the system to cover faults that may occur. If the box is outwith these times, there are a few options to you:

• A service call at a cost of £65/€100 (90 day warranty inclusive)
  • Sky Repair Protection Plan, you can find more information out here.
  • Checking what offers are available to you.
  • Seeking the help of an independent engineer or purchasing another box outwith Sky.

I hope this helps. 

Thanks, 

Anne
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.