Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Occasional Visitor
Ballistawar

MAC Address

Hi.  I am a little concerned that a device has been trying to connect to my network that I don't recognise.  The MAC address of the device starts with 00:16:6B, which, according to some MAC address lookups, is a Samsung address.  I think my Sky + HD box is a Samsung box.  My question is: does the Sky + box itself have a MAC address?  I also have Anytime Plus, so it is all linked up to my router, but it is not the MAC address that either the router or the anytime plus 'mini router' has assigned.

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Super User
Mark39

Re: MAC Address

Yes, given the ethernet socket, it must have a MAC address. You can check easily by switching your Sky box off, or disconnecting it from the Sky access point/bridge. The MAC address you're seeing on your router should disappear if it's Sky box related.

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Occasional Visitor
Ballistawar

Thanks for the reply.  I would try that, but like the mini sky plus router it only seems to try and connect some of the timeI thought maybe the Sky box was trying to update itself or receiving some data.

Occasional Visitor
Ballistawar

Another update.  Last night I setuo a MAC address list on the sky router and enabled it to prevent any device that I don't know about connecting.  I just checked the attached devices on the router and that MAC address is back again despite not being enabled on the router.  So, as per the suggestion, I ubnplugged the Sky box.  The address then went.  I was a little suprised that the sky router allowed an address that I had now authorised to connect, but at least I now know what it was that was connecting.

Super User
Mark39

Perhaps because the sky box is totally dependent on its connection to the Sky wireless dongle which is actually a wireless bridge, rather than a router in its own right. It's either both MAC addresses (Sky box and dongle) or neither.