Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Occasional Visitor
Long-suffering
Accepted Solution

Lip synch problems oh HD playback

Quite frequently, (often enough to be very annoying), the sound and picture playback are not properly synchronised. This can be cured by a system re-build, or sometimes by just switching off, and then on again. However this happens so frequently that it has become a MAJOR annoyance. Even rewinding a HD broadcast and then re-playing it can cause the picture and sound playback to be become disjointed. This has been happening since I first had the HD box and despite reporting the problem on two previous occasions the problem still manifests itself.

If this cannot be resolved then I will NOT be re-newing my HD subscription in the futuer as it's just not worth the earach I get from the wife whenever this occurs.

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Occasional Visitor
rosscopcoltraine

Re: Lip synch problems oh HD playback

It may be a related issue, when we record with the series link function it doesnt record the sound! very annoying as it is happening more and more. not got a resolution or reason yet but will keep you posted.

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Senior Member (Platinum)
Kenneth+M

Try switching to a HD channel first ( eg Sky 1 HD ), then enter the Planner and playback your HD recording.

Community Coordinator
Robert-B

[ Edited ]

Hi Long-suffering,

You have not mentioned if this is happening when listening via the TV speakers or if you are using a surround sound system?

If it's via a surround sound system when you have this fault have you tried the tips on our Help centre for Sound is out of sync with my Sky TV picture ?

Thanks

Robert-B
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Occasional Visitor
42Kimberley

I took delivery of my Sky+HD system three weeks ago because I'd spent over £700 on a new TV. I had no idea I'd be getting the problems I now have with out of sync audio. It appears to be slower than the video - meaning that there's no point using the Settings option to delay to the audio because this only makes it worse. I will need to consider cancelling the contract if I can't do this because a Sky+HD box with an HDMI cable straight into a Panasonic Plasma is a simple enough configuration (no amp etc). It seems as if it's not fit for purpose in my view. There's not mention of this on the online guides or TV adverts!

I will be checking Freesat soon to see whether that suffers the same issue when viewing ITV HD etc and if it doesn't then I'll have little option but to cancel.

I'd be interested in Sky's views on this because it seems as if the approach is one of "there's nothing we can do".

Super User
Dsldude

The audio delay function on the Sky HD box is for the optical output only, it doesn't change the

audio delay between the box and TV over HDMI.

When your feeding a TV with HDMI the sound and picture are in sync when they leave the HD box and go over the cable, but the television will have been programmed in its firmware to apply a certain amount of sound delay to take in account the time it will take to process and display the image on the screen, if the TV wasn't programmed to do this the sound would be well in front of the picture.

The first bit of advice I can give you is ensure the plasma has the latest firmware on it, I believe on the latest panasonics this is pretty easily updated via the TV's menu.

Occasional Visitor
rik+walton

I am having this problem as well. I resent paying extra money for a service which is so hit and miss!!

Occasional Visitor
Sandpiper

Re: Lip synch problems on HD playback

I have the same issue. The Sky help for the sound being BEHIND the video is to rewind then play.

This did not work for me.

What I suggest is that you tune to an HD TV programme BEFORE going into the planner section,

this will set your TV for HD syncronisation.

Now go into the planner and select your HD recorded programme; you will find it back in sync again.

Occasional Visitor
RJS39

I'm in the same boat -- just subscribed to HD and hey presto I can't really relax and enjoy, because of the lip sync problems. I had no problems with this box, until I paid for HD.

Dont think its fit for purpose and will be cancelling my HD subscription, unless solution found.

Spoke to my TV retailer and he tells me its a known problem, Come on Sky fix it, or you will loose me

Occasional Visitor
PhilBarron

Its a joke the Sky helpline,  they are about as useful as a chocolate fireguard I wont be reneweing my HD subscription that is for sure.

Visitor
smartyr1

I have the same problem with audio of out sync on most HD channels, Ive found that I can create the fault by pausing the program during the adverts for 5 - 10 mins then fast forward to restart of program and it can be 2-3 words out, I can sometimes clear the fault if I press stop and then rewind it back to the same point, this can be a pain if for some reason I'm 30mins behind. I can also reset by rebooting the sky box.

I contacted sky and have gone through all the usual resets and reloaded the software twice, the guy said he would ring back to check if it was ok in about 20 mins in  which time I restarted after download put on a film on ITV4 HD audio which was in sync, adverts came on and I paused it for 8 mins then fast forward to program and it was totally out of sync.

sky guy phoned and I told him what I'd done he said he could get an engineer out who would probably change the box, this will cost me and and having read your posts I doubt whether I'll be any better off.

IanMahoney

Hi Robert,

I have this problem of the sound being out of sync with the picture, the link you mention in your post goes to a page not found page.

Thanks

Ian

Senior Member (Platinum)
Kenneth+M

IanMahoney wrote:

Hi Robert,

I have this problem of the sound being out of sync with the picture, the link you mention in your post goes to a page not found page.

Thanks

Ian

The usual solution for out-of-sync audio on playback is either to set your digibox's HD Resolution Output to 1080i, or to view a HD channel ( eg Sky One HD ) first before entering the Planner and playing back recordings.

The link you are referring to is here.

Visitor
richard+15088

[ Edited ]

Having same lip sync problem on HD recordings all the time after Amstrad HD box was updated to Darwin software in May (not using Sky Anytime+ either !).

Tuning to HD channel, put into standby and then switch back on and then HD playback seems to be back in sync for me.

Still leaves you unable to fast forward or stop playback due to being scared lip sync issues will return.

So now resorted to recording all programs in SD.

Pile of junk. Roll on DSO on Aug 24 when I get Freeview HD channels and ditch this piece of crap.

Occasional Visitor
lesl

Hi Sandpiper

Thought it worth googling this fault and found your suggestion...tried it and IT WORKED !!! This problem seems occur

intermittently....say start to watch a prog, pause/press record then return, it's out of sync :smileymad:

As others have said, it happens enough to be VERY annoying, so many thanks for what I hope is the solution for any future sync errors.:smileyvery-happy: