Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Regular Visitor
Hayley+Balchin
Accepted Solution

Limited access only????

Recently had Sky modem and went through the simple procedure of connection.

My sons X box live have no problems finding the wireless connection (password prompt at the start)

But my laptop is different, Firstly it never asked for password, but eventually I managed to do that by manual input.

Speaking to a Sky tech, we went through all of the possible problems, but to no avail..

He said it must be my laptop!!!!  However, my laptop connects to any other wireless connection easily, for example...at my work, my mothers and all friends.  (none are Sky tho)

After speaking to a friend he suggested that the static number may be the issue.....as explained the router should give  my laptop a number, but if this number is in my laptop set as default...it will error??? I am none the wiser

On the wireless connection page, it shows that I am connected ( but with limited access)

Please please can anyone help to rectify and give me step by step guide tooo

Thank you

Frustrated new Sky customer

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Super User
Dsldude

Re: Limited access only????

It sounds like you have a Atheros wireless adapter and are using Vista or Windows7?

You can confirm that by going into the Control Panel and then Device Manager

and looking Under Network Adapters for the name of the Wireless Adapter

If it is Atheros please also reply with the make and model of your laptop.

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Regular Visitor
Hayley+Balchin

it is indeed atheros windows vista

where abouts is the star under your name

Regular Visitor
Hayley+Balchin

It does not work with ethernet cable either if that helps

Super User
Dsldude

Hi Hayley it sounds like you have another issue as-well as the Atheros wireless problem,

as there should be no reason why it wouldn't work on the  Ethernet cable and we would

need that to work before you can update drivers to get your wireless working.

What lights do you have on your router and are they all green, when you have a Ethernet

cable between the PC and router you should also have a number light lit

Also do you have another computer you can test the connection on?