Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference. Learn more about this message
Getting There
Baracuss

Landline number?

I see Sky got rid of the 01953 722046 number since last month and tells you to call 08442 414141, So does anyone know if Sky has any landline number since I only have a mobile and this Is costing me over 30ppm of money I don't have.

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Staff
Chris-McP

Re: Landline number?

[ Edited ]

Hey @Baracuss

Thanks for coming back to the Sky Community.

I have never been aware of the landland line number however I do know that any calls you have made to Sky would be refunded back to you if you send us copies of your phone bill(s) to Sky Subscribers Services Limited, PO Box 43, Livingston, West Lothian EH54 7DD.

I would send them 2nd class recorded.

Was there something that you need help with, maybe I could help you?

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Graduate
grahamb56

Hi Chris-McP,

thats interesting what you say aboit Sky refunding telephone costs and I suspect not widely known.

Will Sky also pay the cost of postage on the reclaim? I would have thought in this digital age we would have been able to send the telephobe bills electronically via e-mail? Definitely much greener and more sustainable. No un necessary printing etc. This is something that Sky encourages its customers to do wrt its monthly bills (must save Sky a fortune in postage and printing costs), yet when the boot is on the other foot so to speak Sky wants everything as hard copy. Lets be consistent here. What about raising this as a change with "the powers that be"!!

I have used the number Baracuss quoted recently and was surprised to find that this had been closed off to customers too. Sky does appear to be closing all avenues of telephone contact other than 08432..... While this is free for Sky Talk customers it is not free if you are a Sky TV only customer nor is it included as a "free number" in any of the bundled packages from other providers unlike 0845 numbers and 0870 numbers with some providers. Some negative discrimination here against Sky TV only customers. Why doesnt SkyTV be pro active and provide a free phone number for TV customers with landlines and a geographic number for customers who only have mobiles so that they can use their bundled minutes. Now that would be customer service and just think of the advertising potential.!!

regards

Graham

Getting There
Baracuss

Seems generous If Sky actually would refund call charges but I'm betting they have limitations for what and how much they pay out.

But the problem is I'm on Three mobile prepay so don't have access to any kind of bills, and it does seem obvious this was done as part of Sky making more money because it happened the same time as the subscription price hike and I'm sure they removing that number to force more people to deal with problems online because the fewer people calling them the more money Sky makes.

Graduate
grahamb56

You are right about Sky making money. 0844 numbers are usually revenue making numbers so sky would receive a percentage of the call cost in payment so not only does it cost you money to contact them but the longer you are on the phone the more they earn. Which is especially galling when it takes  ten minutes or more before you get to speak to someone.

Cant think how you would be able to provide evidence for a claim unless you can take a screen shot of your call log then print and send this.

As a customer you shouldnt be financially penalised when you need to contact your service provider, and if they are willing to reimburse call costs you shouldnt have to jump through hoops to make it work.

What you need is for Sky customer services to be an 0300 number which

is classed as a geographical number for charging purposes. Perhaps one of the co-ordinators would champion this?

Try 02071267020 supposed to be customer services. Just tried it and you get the recorded "your through to sky lets help message " so its still active but I didnt go any further. I found it on the saynoto0870.com site? 

Graham

Getting There
Baracuss

Actually on a mobile 0300 numbers cost even more than 0844 because my network charges either 30p or 35p and those numbers aren't included in my call allowance, and even Skype which I use for some calls they charge 30p.

Super User
rscott

@Baracuss - you might want to check how your mobile provider charges for calls to 0300 numbers. Ofcom insist they should cost same as 01 and 02 plus should be included in any call bundles - http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/2009/10/how-much-does-a-phone-call-really-cost/
Getting There
Baracuss

I just had to call my local council a few weeks ago which was an 0300 number and those numbers weren't showing in the online tarrif guide so called Three up and they said it would cost that much, And the problem is a lot of what OFCOM does is more guidance where networks voluntarily follow.

Graduate
grahamb56

[ Edited ]

Hi Baracuss I had to phone the DVLA earlier this month on an 0300 number using my mobile and there was no charge. I am on contract with O2 and looking at my bill it was classed as part of my inclusive minutes. Id complain to 3. It looks like they are taking advantage (or the pith)!!

Found this when I was checjking on the costs of 0300 numbers and whilevit is old I think the last paragraph sums up what we, as customers  are looking for.

http://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/2009/03/03/loan-shark-hotline-hoorah-its-not-a-freephone/