Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Occasional Visitor
Deebs73

Keep the same telephone number when moving house - told to go to BT.

I joined SKY 8 weeks ago and ordered the full sky package including telephone, broadband, HD.

My previous telephone provider was BT and I have had the same number for 35 years, part of the condition of me moving to SKY was that I could keep the same number which was all fine. My SKY package is all up and running and I have kept the same number.

I am now about to move house, not very far away and within the same exchange and of course want to take SKY with me and also want to take my telephone number with me. I have been told that SKY used to be able to do this but because of a new computer system this service is not yet installed and I will have to be allocated a new number.

Not very happy about this and on asking if there is anyway around this was told you would need to leave SKY and go back to BT, then move house with my number! Great SKY customer service by the way being told to go somewhere else.

So SKY what can you do for me to prevent me leaving SKY and getting my bundled package from BT instead except charge me a massive early exit fee no doubt.

All I want to do is keep my telephone number.

David.

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Community Coordinator
jason-d

Re: Keep the same telephone number when moving house - told to go to BT.

Good Morning Deebs73

First of all welcome to the Sky Help Forum and thanks for taking the time to make your first post.

I'm sorry to hear you moving to Sky has been stalled due to you unable to port your number over from your current provider.

Unfortunately there isn't much we can do regarding this other than request this from your provider. The only reason we would have trouble porting your number over from them is if they reject this action. I can appreciate why you're wanting to do this and hopefully it is something that can be sorted with your current provider.

Regards

jason-d
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Occasional Visitor
Deebs73

Hi jason-d

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I have just phoned SKY again and have been told that there is no way I can port my number accross to my new address. Apparently SKY have not be able to do this for over a year but they are looking to bring it back but no idea when they will have the ability to do it.

I am now getting conflicting information as to whether this is possible or not.

David.

Occasional Visitor
Shaun-A

[ Edited ]

Hi, I have just been told the same, had my number for 6 years and 3 house moves. Now with Sky for Internet and moving 70 yards. Really really (removed) to find out I cannot take my number. Be assured Sky that I will move back to BT as soon as I can do it for free and will never use sky broadband again - EVER

Occasional Visitor
karencruddis

Hello,

If I understood this post correctly the issue was transferring your phone number from sky to sky, the same provider? So the response did not make sense to me.

Did this get resolved?

We are about to move house. Our existing phone provider is sky (line rental too) and we want to retain our existing number. We will be moving to within the same exchange too. We do not want the hassle of moving back to BT and then back to Sky just to keep the number.

Any advice, greatly received,

thank you

Occasional Visitor
Les+Adams

NUMBER PORTING ......hi this is a problem that sky have in many guises....i have been with sky for 20 months with the full package deal ..i left talk talk to join sky.....i now want to leave sky and return to talk talk ( or any other competitor in the market) but sky wont release my telephone number back to me, ive had the same number for 40 years, first with BT then with talk talk and then SKY but sky customers who want to leave seem to have to get a new line and number,...this seems like sharp practice and everyone needs to complain to ofcom and their MP about this practice... i would love to keep my number but i need to reduce my bills even more so sky are not making it an easy decison to leave if you want to keep your number. come on Sky..do the decent thing and play fairly otherwise your credability will slip all the way down to the gutter.....

Occasional Visitor
newintown

Hello,

I was wondering if I could keep my number when I'm leaving another comapny virgin media. I just don't want to leave my number because i have given this number to almost every important places which means I might have to either call them all and change my contact details or get left out of informations. So help !!

Any way to keep my number..?

Occasional Visitor
Birdie+1912

Is it really so hard to keep the same telephone number? I am moving less than 1/2 mile and have a sky package, tv phone & bb. moving house and told by Sky I cant take my number and to go back to BT?  Called BT, they can give me a temporary number and request my old number back when I've moved but cant guarantee I'll get it back?  Poor service from both companies. 

Frequent Visitor
Danvina

My friend was exactlly the same a few years ago. He had the service with Sky. His mother took seriously ill and had to move in with him. She wanted to keep her exsisting number from her own house as she had been with BT since it was GPO. My friend was told that he would have to go back to BT. Terminate his Sky supply ( Which was still in contract) then re - apply for service in his mothers name.

Myself I am with Sky for TV and have the phone and Broadband with Talk Talk. Their adverts for their all singing all dancing new switch team states " If your with BT or Talk Talk we will contact them for you so you don't have to" When I checked Broadband availability against my phone line, the system told me that my phone line is not compatable with Sky services. Which is (excuse my french) Ballocks because before I took the property over from my brother he had Sky phone and broadband with the exact same number as I have. I'm damned if I am paying for a brand new line install.

Occasional Visitor
allan+mclevy

When we called Sky today with what we thought was a reasonable request to move our package to our new address - we couldn't believe what we were told.  The customer services person was very abrupt and in no uncertain terms made it clear that we had to forfeit our current telephone number which would be replaced with a new number.  If we did not want a new number, we were told we had to leave Sky and go to another supplier (having incurred a charge for leaving our Sky contract early) and then come back to Sky.!!!   

This is completely ridiculous!!   We want to keep our telephone number, and move to a new address with our total package - we're only moving a mile up the road - we're not emigrating to Australia!!

So Sky is quite happy to lose customers to its competitors, and in fact is encouraging its customers to leave, and we criticise the banks for not putting the customer first!!

Get this sorted out Sky - you exist to serve your customers not the other way round !!!

Community Coordinator
LauraMac

Hi David,

I am really sorry about the conflicting information you have received.  There is no way for you to keep Sky Line Rental & your current number when you move home.

LauraMac
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Occasional Visitor
CookieCat1989

Long and short of the story is that it cant be done. Atleast not with sky. What ever way the accounts are set on their systems prevents them from doing it.
Frequent Visitor
Phantomus

Told cannot keep my telephone number when I move.

Have been with sky for over 5 years and they moved me to my current address 4 and a half years ago. I am soon to move and also been told cannot keep my number which I have had for over 20 years. I am not very annoyed and find this unacceptable. Bad service Sky! Once people leave why should they return?

Occasional Visitor
Maverick777

I have changed to Sky Talk but my Landlady wants the house to keep the same number.

I have just moved into a rented house and have opted for Sky, talk and broadband, but was not made aware that the house number would change. Now my landlady is furious. She has not given BT or Sky permission for the change.  Is there anyway I can keep the original house number?