Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Frequent Visitor
CarlC

Just grabbed an Amstrad DRX890 for £29 off Sky.....UPDATE

[ Edited ]

Basically been having a few problems with my DRX780, mainly had to do a Sky+Planner rebuild approx twice every day for the past couple of months and had to unplug the box for 10-20 every few days as the screen pixelated in large green blocks. But if you brought up the banner or the menu they would be perfect yet the image wasn't.

First of all spoke to a nice young girl that tried to get me to take out the Sky Protect Insurance as nothing else could be done, said I would think about it and contacted SPI direct.

There are 2 ways I could do this, pay a fixed fee for each month I have it but have to wait 30 days to make a claim or pay a fixed fee each month for 12 months and claim immediately. But only to receive a refurb of the box I have now.

I then phone Sky back to see if they could force the newer FW on my 780 as I couldn't justify the price of £199 for a standards Sky+HD Box or £249 for a 1TB version that had been offered to me. Low and behold it didn't work as I had expected.

I then phoned for the third and last time, the lovely Scottish accented girl was so helpful and understanding I couldn't believe it. Told her what I was having problems with and asked if I could have the FW sent to my box to see if that sorted out my problems...She went away for a few minutes and I was expecting to be cut off, but NO she came back and said that this couldn't be done.

She then went onto say that she could arrange an engineer to come and do a service call for £40 instead of the usual price.....I asked if this would be exchanged with a refurb if found faulty and yes it would. Explained that I didn't want a refurb as this box was my original HD box and though it had only lasted nearly 2 years I didn't want to take a chance with a box that must've been faulty in some way for it to have been refurbed.

I asked if she could try and get a better price for me on a new box? But she couldn't, so she suggested to put me through to cancellations and see what could be done.

Spoke to a great guy that I had to explain all my problems too and he said he will see what he could do. He said he could see that I had the full package deal substantially discounted already to a few pennies over £60 pm, that includes my phone rental and Sky Talk, BB Unlimited and both the Movies and Sports packages for 6 months. And the cheapest he could do me a spanking new DRX890 for would be £29 (Yes I had to check that he had told me correctly) and yes £29 was correct! I asked if I could do a self install when he said it would have to be done via an engineer, so I was expecting the usual cost but was told that the set up fee was included in the £29.....I asked him to confirm that this was definitely a Brand New Box and not a refurb.....and yes it was a BNB.

It's booked in for a week today....So when he's been I will update you all on whether this is genuine or not, the only thing is I am tied in to a further 12 month contract with Sky, but not in the way I thought. I can change my packages etc...It's just a tie in so I cannot leave Sky in the next 12 months.

So roll on next Monday!!!!

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Frequent Visitor
CarlC

Re: Just grabbed an Amstrad DRX890 for £29 off Sky.....

Just remembered that he did try to sell me the Wireless adapter fo £60.....said I would use my Homeplugs and if they didn't work I would then get intouch iro the wireless adapter.

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Contributor
JJ.Young

I use homeplugs and they work fine, I was going to look into the wireless adapter but I have a PS3 next to it and that doesnt pick up a great wireless signal so doubt the sky box would. 

Frequent Visitor
CarlC

That's a relief JJ thanks.

I have enough plugs hidden behind my TV as it is.....couldn't do with anymore.

Frequent Visitor
CarlC

Just a quick update before the install on Monday....

Just checked my bank account to find that Sky have taken £30 and not the agreed £29. So after a phone call the £1 will go towrads my next bill.

I know it's only £1 but if they did it with everyone......that's an awful lot of money!!!!

Oh and the CS representative made it sound like this offer was open to everyone......so it looks like it's who you talk to really.

Regular Visitor
Test+Toads

[ Edited ]

Go to www.sky.com/freesetup and see with your current box if you can the free wireless adapter (or wait until the new box is installed ;@) - think you have to have movies and bb unlimited :smileyhappy:

Frequent Visitor
CarlC

[ Edited ]

No I can't looking at it:

"Unfortunately, the free Sky Wireless Connector offer is only available to customers who aren't yet experiencing Sky Anytime+"

As I have it listed in My Account Summary under Your Sky TV.

Just checked out my Mums account and it says what mine used to say "Unfortunately your Sky+HD box isn't quite ready for Sky Anytime+, but we're working to bring it up-to-date soon."

Thanks for the heads up though!!!

Frequent Visitor
CarlC

[ Edited ]

Had it fitted about 2 hours ago brand new along with a new dish & LNB.

Have to say I'm quite impressed with it.....much faster than the older 780 by loads IMO, press the button and it's done.

Anytime+ looks OK, will probably only use that if I miss something as not that much HD content, but still a bit though.

Well worth the £29 I paid.

Occasional Visitor
cerris+dobson

Re: Just grabbed an Amstrad DRX890 for £29 off Sky.....UPDATE

I bought a nearly new box off ebay for £20 for my daughters bedroom and it works well after sky telling me it would cost me £99 off them good old ebay