Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Frequent Visitor
Solidito

Just bought Fibre upgrade but..

I'm really unsure if we can actually get it. It says it's now available yes, which i normally wouldn't doubt. But my street hasn't been open to fibre for quite a long time and now all of a sudden it is. But i haven't seen any work done on the road i live on at all for quite a while.

I've payed and they're coming in 2 weeks to install, could anyone tell me how it's actually installed? (Can't see anything on my drive or the road where the cables will actually come from).

This may be an extemely stupid question, i'm not great with this sort of stuff, just a bit scared that i'm getting my hopes up for nothing haha. Going from 4mb line to 26.7mb is quite an improvement and i really want it.

If Sky say it's available i shouldn't doubt that, it's just that i've seen nothing done to the road in a while which is making me wonder.

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Super User
speedyrite

Re: Just bought Fibre upgrade but..

[ Edited ]

It's fibre from the exchange to the street cabinet to which your phone line is connected. From there the connection is over the existing copper wire to your house. So you won't have seen any rodworks in your street because it's not fibre to the home! But you may have seen a bigger green cabinet installed near to an old faded green cabinet somewhere nearby...

BT Openreach will come to your house and upgrade your master socket and install a modem for your fibre connection. Sky will send you a new router which will connect to the modem. Then you should be all up and running.

"All opinions are my own, other advice may be available and may differ from mine.
I do not work for Sky, I'm just a customer like you!
If my advice has helped you, say thanks by clicking on thumbs up"
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Frequent Visitor
Solidito

Ah so the connection they said i'll have is 26.7mb, but the copper wire between the cabinet and my house can't handle that speed can it?

So surely it'll be 26.7mb to the cabinet, then what ever can fit on the copper wire does so, but then it'll lose even more of that going to my house.

So does that mean i've been lied to and won't be getting anywhere near the speed they said or am i just confused and thinking of this wrongly haha?

Senior Member (Bronze)
flamey

[ Edited ]

The whole concept of vdsl2 is to shorten the length of the copper run so that there is less loss and therefore higher speeds.

So yes, its very likely you will get ~27mb as the estimates are usually pretty accurate for the most part.

Frequent Visitor
Solidito

Ok sweet, thanks for the help then :smileyhappy:

Super User
speedyrite

I went from 3.5Mbps on ADSL to 37Mbps on Fibre so it's worth the upgrade if you can afford the extra cost.

"All opinions are my own, other advice may be available and may differ from mine.
Frequent Visitor
Solidito

Is that with the FTTC? Then across the copper to your house?

Super User
speedyrite

Yes that's 37Mbps on FTTC - the caninet is about 300 metres from the house.

Occasional Visitor
kerdaz

How quickly did you get the increase in speed after installation? Just had ours done yesterday and the BT guy said it would gradually increase over the next 12 days. I didn't really get why though and I'm not seeing any improvement at all yet. (We're also only 300m or so from the cabinet)

Super User
speedyrite

The speed increase to 37Mbps was apparent immediately and has remained so. (This was back in April). The BT Openreach engineer who did my install was excellent. He did all the work and stayed while I got online with the Sky router and insisted that I did a speed test before he went so that I could see that I was getting the sort of speed that I was expecting (based on Sky's prediction) and that his kit said the line could sustain.

Senior Member (Bronze)
flamey

[ Edited ]

kerdaz wrote:

How quickly did you get the increase in speed after installation? Just had ours done yesterday and the BT guy said it would gradually increase over the next 12 days. I didn't really get why though and I'm not seeing any improvement at all yet. (We're also only 300m or so from the cabinet)

What package are you on & sync/throughput via ethernet?

The BTO DLM doesn't really work like that, there is no 10 day period or likewise because it is constantly running.

What happens is on the day of initiation the DLM will sync at the max attainable stable rate on fastpath (as you can see from speedy above) where possible, it will then wait 24 hours whilst monitoring before making changes unless there is severe instability.

If the issue is more minor, for example it deems there are too many errors/infrequent line drops it's likely to make changes by lowering the rate/introduce interleave within the next two-three days typically.