Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Frequent Visitor
xxjennxx

Ipad2 skygo to apple tv

Hi Can anyone tell me why I can't watch my skygo app through apple tv even though there is an AirPlay option on the skygo app?? There is only sound no picture. BBCiplayer and 4od work fine
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Community Coordinator
Robert

Re: Ipad2 skygo to apple tv

Hi xxjennxx, 

Welcome to the Sky Help Forum.

The Sky Go App is designed only to allow you to view content on the registered device, we cannot allow video mirroring as the agreements in place with content providers does not allow for this.

Robert
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Occasional Visitor
PaulB007

[ Edited ]

If you do not allow "video mirroring" as you say then why is it that I can just plug my laptop in to any tv via an HDMI connection and watch it that way ?

Anyone with a sky go account on their laptop will be able to do this.

I also believe that you can use an xbox or PS3 to watch sky go through the tv although I cannot confirm this myself.

So the quote "we cannot allow video mirroring as the agreements in place with content providers does not allow for this" is total nonsense.

I don't really understand why sky wont allow skygo to work from ipad to tv when it is available from other devices ???

I did read on one forum that sky have said they were going to enable sky go to work with the ipad and apple tv at some point and that they have not intentionally blocked it but just not got round to enabling it yet. Can someone confirm that this is the case ?

Contributor
Exiled-in-HH

PaulB007 wrote:

Anyone with a sky go account on their laptop will be able to do this.

I also believe that you can use an xbox or PS3 to watch sky go through the tv although I cannot confirm this myself.

xbox and PS3 do not have inbuilt displays not a good comparison!

It's an interesting question with regards laptops ... PC with an attached display (laptops) against a PC without an attached display (desktops) both of which can be attached to displays using various standards.

Occasional Visitor
PaulB007

[ Edited ]
I realise that the ps3 and Xbox do not have separate displays but you can still use them to watch sky go through the tv. I still believe the sky advisers comments on video mirroring are probably completely made up just to fob people off.
Occasional Visitor
Customer+Since+91

Re: Ipad2 skygo to apple TV

I agree with the points made by other customers - why is a laptop connection permitted and not mirroring via Apple TV? Some clarity on this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
paul1360

Can you tell us please what has changed since Sky Go was dished out and when Sky for mobile was around?? You could use your TV with Sky Mobile but you withdrew it from Sky Go by blocking it, seems odd that other players are capable of doing and the strangest thing of all is that if you watch sport from sports Webster via ipad to HDTV as well as a laptop. Wondering if it has anything to do with payment like you had to pay for Sky Mobile.

iechyd da

Retired Staff Member
GarryC

Hi Guys,

I can see a few of you have been asking why you can display Sky Go on your TV from a laptop but not your iPad.  It is the Sky Go app which is not designed to support this feature, as your laptop does not use the Apple Sky Go app then there is no restriction on this.

I hope this has answered your queries.

Thanks,

Occasional Visitor
PaulB007

According to Apple, apps simply need enabling to use AppleTV, so Sky could enable the skygo app to work with AppleTV any time they want to.

So the answer:-

"It is the Sky Go app which is not designed to support this feature"  is yet again another fob off answer from sky.

Please can we have an honest answer from sky.

Will the skygo be enabled to use AppleTV in the future ?

If not then why not ?

Thanks

Paul 

Occasional Visitor
Richbrown

[ Edited ]
This is absolutely pathetic. Sky are hindering customer experience for the sake of 'licensing agreements'. Apple TV is not a separate media device, via Airplay it is an extension of the iOS device. The user experience with Sky Go is flawed because it doesn't deliver the expected standard features of any iOS device. That and only 2 devices per account, really? Get with it Sky.
Occasional Visitor
Dave354

I agree sky are holding back on enabling AirPlay on sky go. They an easily do this and as we see through mirroring laptops and x boxes there is no licence difficulties. It would however allow users to use their iPad as a set top box to be played in different locations allowing people to watch sky program's without subscription. That is the real reason. Will sky honestly answer? I doubt it! Please prove me wrong!
Occasional Visitor
TurntableZ

Jail break your apple TV and there is a way you can install apps on it.

Install the sky go app and see if it works!

I havent done this my self but may in the near future!

Occasional Visitor
MRStokeMan

the argument that some of you are putting across that because you can do it on a laptop, you should be able to do it on the app is pretty dumb. Of course it is for license reasons - if sky could stop you connecting your laptop then they would, but since they can't it's just a loophole.

They shouldn't then allow it on another app just because they can't stop it on another. Have a little common sense!!

paul1360

This is a mute point any way as sky deems not show ANY HD content not like all the other players you can get. Having said that once again it's just the way sky treats it customers these. We have not allowed it so get used to it, it's not in our T&C so why moan about it now. Before long sky may have to look at how its treating us but there again no they are not interested in us. No long to end of the month.

iechyd da

Occasional Visitor
Nigel+Blanchard

i ended up cancelling my sky account through xbox because of this and a number of issues inc this pont. they never responded to my letters about altering subs and skygo without sky xbox subs is just a ripoff with no apple tv linkup