Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Occasional Visitor
Dedoxs

Io tv link

Fitted sky io tv link today, I can now view sky on additional TV sets but cannot work magic eyes to change channel etc. I checked rf outlet is turned on etc but no joy, have power going to a F140 amplifier at the back of main tv which feeds 3 magic eyes but the eyes themselves have no red light so I assume a power issue any ideas please ?
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Retired Staff Member
Fraser-H

Re: Io tv link

[ Edited ]

Hey Dedoxs,

Thanks for taking the time to get in touch and it's great to read that you have managed to set up your IO link.

I am afraid that we are not in a position where we can offer any assistance ourselves as you have it set up in conjunction with the amplifier at the back of your TV, however a member of our community may well be able to be of some assistance.

I'm sorry that we cannot be of more help with this and if you have any other questions or queries please let me know.

Thanks 

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
troytempest007

hi there,

I have the same kit and same issue. Worked fine in same setup with my older sky hd box.

I am sure there is a problem with the RF2 supply on the newer box, it pobably cannot supply 9v to mor than 1 device.

You get 9v out of the IO Link but add a magic eye and you get nothing out just the magic eye lights up.

Put the RF2 cable from the IO Link to the F140 amplifier and the voltage light works and it passes the signal through but the voltage out drops to 4v and this wont power the magic eye.

This is a sky issue surely?

The IO Link works only with one magic eye when connected directly to one tv...thats pretty useless.

help appreciated

Super User
Mark39

A recent post from a Sky Adviser indicates that in fact the RF2 socket on the old Sky box was designed to power a single magic eye, although in practice its power output was quite generous and provided sufficient power for several magic eyes and an F140 amp.

Other manufacturers have specifically stated that their IO Link equivalents definitely don't provide enough current to power an F140 so your experience indicates that the same applies to the Sky product. It looks like you'll need a DC power inserter to separately power your F140 and the other magic eyes if you have more than one.

troytempest007

Hi Mark39,

thanks for your reply... that would make sense of what is happening - like theres only enough power for 1 unit regardless of weather its a F140 distribution amp OR a TV eye.

I have tried it direct to a TV and used 1 x TV Eye and it works fine. Connect another TV & TV Eye and that one doesnt work.

I have also tried the F140 amp and it does power it and the signal to a TV is fine but adding the TV Eye to remote switch the channel and it dies.

Questions: Has anybody got this running with more than 1 x TV eye?

Is it the new SKY HD box that cannot supply the power or the iO Link

The instructions with the iO Link do say that it can be used with a distribution system for multiple TV's

Any more info appreciated, thanks

troytempest007

Hi, it would appear that when you use the new iO Link with the new SKY HD box to create an RF2 output and you are using a distribution box powered by the RF2/iO Link YOU need a 12v 500ma Power Supply for the distribution amp.

From tvlink.co.uk

When used inline with our T120/T140 distribution amplifiers a 12 volt power supply will be required (F700010).

Thats ok if you have a socket near the distribution amp but if you dont you will also need 

From tvlink.co.uk

The T120/T140 can also be powered inline using a F100549 DCI DC inserter & a F700010 12 Volt power supply.

More cost just because they changed the RF2 output ... iO Link + PSU + DCI DC - £50.00 :-(

Would love to know if someone has this all working in additional rooms with TV eyes using the new SKY HD box before I spend any more cash???

cheers

Super User
Mark39

Hi troytempest,

Many powered distribution amps provide their own 9v output to power magic eyes which avoids relying on the limited output of the IOLink. That may be a cheaper, albeit less convenient, route to take.

Visitor
KashZ

Hi,

I have also this week discovered exactly the same issue.  My Sky + HD box was installed last weekend and I was informed by the Sky engineer that I would need an IO Link in order to continue using Magic Eye in other rooms.

So I ordered it @ £25 and it arrived yesterday.  Plugged it in but unable to use the remote control in other 2 rooms.  I've also noticed the picture quality has also got a little worse than it was before the upgrade.  

I've sent an e-mail to TVLink this morning requesting help on pretty much what you have covered in your message.  I was wondering if an updated amplifier would do the trick?  The one I currently have was installed by previous house owners and is well over 10 years old.  Also it doesn't have any mains power and as its installed in the loft it will be tricky to install a new unit with mains power!

I'll keep any eye on this thread in the hope that someone may have a solution but I'm also resigned to the fact that it's going to cost me more than just £25 to get it working. :-(

KashZ

troytempest007

Hi KashZ

I spoke directly to the engineer at TV Link last Friday and he confirmed that it is the output from the new box that limits the power output to the amplifier and TV eyes. This is obviously something SKY has enforced probably because they want you to have multiroom and not pipe SKY around your house from the one box.

I also think it is really bad that SKY Engineers and even the sales team dont ask what you have now or tell you of this issue. I felt like I had been down graded when the engineer left. Then to have to pay £25 for the IO link is a rip off and should be provided with the new box.

I have the same set up as you with an F140 (4 way) amp in the loft without seperate power.

He said the only way to do this with the existing distribution amplifier setup was to add power to the RF2 out cable via their 12v power supply and in line DCI connector.

This allows you to insert the DCI downstairs behind the sky box (inline with the RF2 cable) and add the power at that point so in theory nothing in the loft has to be touched.

I havent done this as it takes a few days for them to send the item and having waited weeks for the io link I wanted it sorted this weekend and as my old box was now multiroom I re-used that one to provide the power.

I also tried powering my F140 dist amp via an extention lead with a CCTV 12v power supply and yes I did get power to all 3 tv eyes and the box BUT the picture wasn't as good and changing channel or using the sky guide was very slow so I wasnt willing to spend more money when it may not be the solution.

Hope this helps and let us all know how you get on

cheers

Visitor
KashZ

Hi troytempest007,

Thanks very much for your reply and very useful information. I must admit this is not my area of expertise but what you've mentioned makes sense.  I also had a reply from TV Link and they pretty much offered the same solution.  i.e. install DCI DC Inserter in-line with the IO Link. Off-course I will also need a PSU with to provide power.  Now both of these items would cost me approx £17.50 and probably P&P.  I'm not too pleased about forking out more money but if it works then I will pay.

My main concern is whether my amplifier in the loft support this?  I have no idea what make or type it is and whether the mains power will pass through it and allow me to change channels in other rooms?  TV Link people could only advise on using their items and cannot say if it will work with my amp.

Their 2way  amp is £14 plus I will need to order the PSU which is sold separately.

It appears that I have little choice but to spend some more money.  Unless you have any other suggestions, I'll probably go for the DCI DC solution and pray it works.

In my opinion Sky should have at least warned customers using the Magic setup and have provided a solution out of the box at installation.  Shame on you Sky!!

Regards,

troytempest007

Hi KashZ

Putting in the DCI DC Inserter is simply a matter of putting it inline with the RF2 output from the IO Link you have already fitted and then you plug the power supply into the mains and the floating 12v power lead into the side of the DCI DC Inserter.

Worst case scenario is that you may need an aerial lead coupler (if you dont have one ...cheap enough at Toolstation or Screwfix? ) or possibly a short aerial extension lead.

The power supply from TV Link simply beefs up the week output from the new SKY box allowing up to 0.5 amps max to be drawn by your loft box and tv eyes (they draw very little anyway) by inserting the 12v onto the aerial cable.

Basically it is doing what your old sky box did in the first place so there is no reason why your current set up wont fully work again once you fit these items :smileyhappy:

Like you say 'more unexpected expence' ....£25 IO Link and £25 for DCI and Power Suppy (incl delivery), thats £50 you didn't expect to spend :smileysad:

Visitor
KashZ

Hi,

A quick update to say that I've got my Sky Magic Eye now working and controllable from other rooms.  I received the DCI DC inserter and PSU quicker that expected.  However, the picture quality is still pretty poor but I can live with it.

I just have one more expense left and that is to buy another Sky + HD remote control, as the old sky digital remotes (i have 3 of

them!!) don't work with my new Sky box!!!

I didn't know that the new box does not support old remote controls so looking at forking out another £15+!!! :smileymad:

Advice to anyone else thinking about upgrading to sky+ box is to consider these things as you are looking at least £60+ bill on top of installation charges they may pay...  (This is if you have an old sky digi box with magic eye setup in other rooms.)

SKY PLEASE TAKE NOTE AND GIVE SOMETHING BACK TO YOUR CUSTOMERS!!!

Occasional Visitor
Andyman45

Hi 

Having the same problems. Many thanks for offering the solution. Could you please list the product name of each item needed to make this work. Many thanks.

Deehan1

I also fitted an IO Link which I purchased from sky. The RF2 power is on and the magic lights LED are lit but the sky remote does not operate the magic eyes. The picture on the other TV's is poor when sky is on although the picture on free view on these TV's is excellent although both free view and sky come through the same coax cable. I contacted sky by telephone several times and asked to cancel the subscription and remove the sky equipment as it was only installed 4 days and I was put through to someone else who assured me they would "work with me to resolve the issue". I was asked to purchase an amp adder and I would be reimbursed for the costs as this would resolve the problem. The person I spoke to said he would call me the next day and surprisingly did not, when I called he was not available and someone else kept me on the phone for near 2 hrs going through the same steps I had been through the previous day, she said she would take advise and E-mail the person from the first day and call me back the next day, yes you've guessed it no call the next day either. On the third day I called again and was talked through the same steps to no avail and basically told it was my problem.
I only want the system removed as I ordered it to use on a few TV's in he same was as other systems I know of but the system does not do what it says and sky say the IO link is not their responsibility even thought they sold it to me, it's simply not fit for purpose.
My sister had the same sister installed the next day after I had and she is experiencing the same problems and I think we are better with no system than a system not fit for purpose. If sky had any customer care they would not develop a system that is much more inferior to their previous system, I thought developing new products would make the experience better.
I will try again tomorrow to cancel unless sky can either send an engineer to look at the system as the he first person who promised me he would work with me advised he would look into if all other failed or replace this wifi box with he previous sky+ had box with RF1 and RF2 ports not to mention an aerial in port (another missing link to the chain, no free view on main TV.
Dissatisfied customer.
Community Coordinator
LauraMac

Good morning Deehan1,

I am sorry to read that you've not had a great experience with being a Sky customer so far, especially as you've only had the box installed for a number of days. 

I am unsure to why the adviser has said that we would reimburse you for an amp adder as this isn't something we support. 

To find out why your remotes aren't working with your TV links, can you let me know if the remote that was supplied with your Sky Box, does this operate any of the links?

The last thing I would want is for you to cancel because of this, if you do decide that this is what you want, you can do this by contact us

I look forward to speaking to you soon.

LauraMac
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.