Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Mattnews1889
Accepted Solution

Install Multiroom myself

Hi I'm a proper novice, I have HD at the minute to one TV, so cable goes from dish through wall into HD box.

In another room I want to have multiroom, but want to get a + box and do it myself, problem is I am having a new floor laid in the new room next week so want to lay the cable this week.

Can someone tell me what cable I need to lay in the room, then where does this cable go, to my dish or does it have to join to the existing cable somewhere or does it have to go back to my existing box ?.  Again how does this join work, do I need to buy somerthing else.

Also what are the connectors called I need to put on end of cable to go into my new box when i get it.

Sorry if this has been asked before i did search but couldnt find an answer.

kind regards

M

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Senior Member (Platinum)
Kenneth+M

Re: Install Multiroom myself

You need to check that the dish LNB is at least a quad ( 4 ports ), so that extra cable(s) can be run directly to your multiroom box.  WF100 is fine for the job.  Either two single cables or one shotgun ( twin core ). 

The connections at the box and dish are called F-connectors ( more info here ).  Visit any good sat installation shop, or Maplins etc for advice.  All pretty standard gear.

Remember that the multiroom box has to be permanently connected to a phone line, so have a think about that too.  The Sky cable that runs from the back of the Sky box to the phone point is a RJ11-to-BT cable.  They come in different lengths, and are cheap.

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Mattnews1889

Thanks Kenneth, will i be able to simply see the ports at the back of the dish

Mattnews1889

Hi again

another question if thats ok, if I buy a sky + box privately, run the cables myself then ring sky and get multiroom will that work is there anything else i need from sky.

same for a HD + plus box could I use one of those (I may not get HD at the minute does that matter) do I need any othere sort of card for the box or would sky supply that when I ring about multi room

Mattnews1889

Sorry another question if you can help me, (should have waited and put them all on one post sorry)

Does multiroom subscription (£10.25) allow you to receive and record sky plus + or do you have to pay extra to get another + feed (I already have HD you see)

hope this makes sense and you can help

M

Senior Member (Platinum)
Kenneth+M

The LNB is on the front of the dish in the middle.  The ports are where the F-connectors are attached.

Senior Member (Platinum)
Kenneth+M

Mattnews1889 wrote:

Hi again

another question if thats ok, if I buy a sky + box privately, run the cables myself then ring sky and get multiroom will that work is there anything else i need from sky.

same for a HD + plus box could I use one of those (I may not get HD at the minute does that matter) do I need any othere sort of card for the box or would sky supply that when I ring about multi room

If you setup everything, the only thing you need from Sky is the multiroom subscription and they will send you a new card for the multiroom box.  Same for the HD box.

Senior Member (Platinum)
Kenneth+M

Your multiroom subscription allows you to use the full Sky+ facilities.  Also, if you only have one feed for your existing HD box you will need to run another for the Sky+ facilities on it as well.

I do suggest you enlist help locally as you are a novice, or phone Sky and get them to do the whole installation.  Usually £65.

Mattnews1889

many thanks again Kenneth

last point i promise can i use a HD box just as sky +, i might get HD agin for the other room but not at the minute so if i buy a HD box in readiness will that work ok with normal sky + then if i decide i can have the multi room switched to hd

Senior Member (Platinum)
Kenneth+M

There is no difference between Sky+ and Sky+HD satellite dish requirement, cabling or connections.

Occasional Visitor
paular2009

i have just ordered multiroom.you get a sky hd plus box for 29.00 and pay 5.00 for sky to install.you have to be an existing customer tho,

kind regards

Occasional Visitor
finlay24

Is this true? I was told that I would have to pay £199 for a sky+ multiroom
box. I am an existing customer!
Occasional Visitor
lucy+brewer

I was told I have to pay £49.99 for sky plus hd box and £60 to install Im just gunna do it myself lot cheeper xx