Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Visitor
dishwasher

ITV HD out of sync

I ahve had my new Sky+ HD box and a brand new Sony Bravia TV for a few days. I do not seem to be able to watch ITV 1 HD without the lip sync being really out. if  I  switch over to normal ITV 1on my Sky box all is fine. Other HD channels I have watched so far are working fine too so it is a mystery ( I am using a surround speaker system connected via optical cable) My sky= box is connected via HDMI directly to TV.  I even tried correcting the lip sync on the sky set up- sound  but nothing worked. 

Anyone else have this problem or can suggest what i should do? Should i try configuring my speaker system differently ? would an HDMI cable work better?

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Frequent Visitor
TonysPC

Re: ITV HD out of sync

I've noticed this too. Not always but quite often ITV1 HD is out of sync.

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Regular Visitor
sofasurfer

Same problem here and no amount of changing cables or even running the audio through the TV's speakers makes any difference. This has only appeared on my box since the big update a couple of months ago and it's driving me mad.

No other channels are that far out of sync and the opticla delay does not work as the video is ahead of the audio.

Community Coordinator
Malcolm-M

Hi, what region of ITV do you get?

Malcolm-M
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Occasional Visitor
Wayne+Savoury

This is really getting annoying now and i think this problem is national. I receive Meridian Region on ITV 1 HD, and i have called Sky countless times to ask them to rectify this problem. But still to no avail. They tell me my software is correct, everytrhing else matches. And then they say they'll send a signal down. But yet i have to endure adverts for Car Sales in Crawley.

The sync seems to be the same channel too. Why can't Sky sort this issue out. It can't be that big a problem...surely??

One annoyed Sky customer!!!

Senior Member (Platinum)
Kenneth+M

Sync drift is a fact of life from time to time.  Don't start messing around with sound settings.  Reboot the box at the mains if necessary.

Occasional Visitor
Gavin+gray

I'm having the same problem - Pls help

Regular Visitor
sofasurfer

ITV HD and C5 HD are always out of lip-sync for me still. A reboot doesn't seem to help it either.

Visitor
lynda+b

This is happening with syfy hd channels as well so maybe a generic problem with sky+. The technical team need to acknowledge the problem and just sort it out

Community Coordinator
Malcolm-M

Hi lynda+b, are using the optical out or an HDMI lead? Is the sound passed through the TV speakers or an AV amplifier?

Malcolm-M
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Occasional Visitor
SynchDrifter

Sync Drift is a fact of life?  Get used to it?  Looks to me like the Emperor's New Clothes (HDTV) is coming apart at the seems.  I subscribe to Sky HD TV package which is substandard because the sound cannot stay in sync with the vision.  This is not occasional, this is everyday and not something that can be modified by changing the settings.  

I used to have a good quality CRT tv set, which received a great analoge signal and was picture perfect.  The quality was the same as HD TV.  Like a mug, I changed for an HD ready LCD tv and right away I noticed how awful the pitcure quality was.  Then, at a price, I subscribe to a HD tv package to receive picture quality which was the same as my old CRT set with the Analogue signal.  But its even worse, as I can't watch the HD TV channels due to the frustration of having to 'fiddle about' between channels to get the sound and vision in sync, so I am back to watching the poorer quality Low definition digital TV, or get used to the FACT OF LIFE.  Shame on you for saying that

Senior Member (Platinum)
Kenneth+M

I'm afraid it is very much a fact of life that is an industry-wide problem, and not just with Sky or Freesat in the UK, but with digital broadcasting worldwide.  See this for some background info, and also HD Audio Delays.  In particular the section on 'Synchronisation In The Home'.

As your lip sync problem appears to be fairly constant, you could try:

- connecting the HDMI cable directly from the Sky digibox to the tv, not using passthrough on an amp.

- setting the HD Resolution Output on the digibox to 1080i, or 720p for an HD Ready tv.

- disabling video processing enhancements on the tv.

Contributor
sputnick

Has anyone found a definite solution to HD sound sync probs.

Tried all suggestions from forums and sky.

Nothing cures it. Particularly bad on ITV 1 HD.

I think that I will do as other have and unsubscribe from Sky HD when my first yeras contract is up.

I`m quite happy with Standard tv and considering the problems and many channels not being available in HD I`m not sure I need it

Sputnick
Occasional Visitor
MartyB

Hi all.

I too have this problem but reading the Sky help page you could try a software update: http://www.sky.com/helpcentre/tv/sky-hd/picture-problems/sound-problems/sound-out-of-sync-with-pictu...

I have only noticed this by the way on live HD TV channels; recorded programs and non-HD channels are OK.  To get over this problem, I have found pausing live tv for a coulple of seconds and then pressing pause (to un-pause it) again, corrects the problem.

Good luck!

Regular Visitor
Elementary

Re: ITV HD out of sync - problem spreading to ther HD channels

I took receipt of a replacement Sky HD+ box back in July, after having been offered it by Sky (not sure why? Seemed like a good offer/idea at the time but am now regretting it.). My previous Thompson box NEVER had any lip sync problems (2yrs+), unlike the Pace HD+ box I had previously which was as bad, as is my new replacement box! My TV set up, via HDMI is to the same TV set (Panasonic Viera HDTV). I first noticed ITV1 HD 'drifting' a few weeks ago - now virtually all HD channels except BBC1 HD & BBC HD have some drift (Sky SD and Freview on my TV are unaffected). Trying to watch ITV3 HD last night was impossible - very annoying given the cost of this service. My conclusion is that there is some sort of software or hardware issue to do with the boxes, and their interaction with some channel broadcasts, given my old box never had these issues. I have tried rebooting the box, downloading the latest software, pausing and unpausing/ live pausing etc - Since this did not happen with my old Thompson box I do not accept that it is a "fact of HD life" as one Sky viwer has posted. It is clearly a hardware/software issue which is surmountable. Anybody else with similar problems since taking receipt of a replacement box? Anybody any solutions? Yes, can I have my old box back please?