Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Occasional Visitor
Vully

I want to remove any PIN protection

I had set PIN number for buying programmes and for 18's, when my children were small.  Like 10+ years ago and 3 sky boxes ago.

I have a new amstrad 1TB HD+ box, but I am STILL having to enter a pin for films.

I have turned PIN protection off but it STILL comes on.

Annoying.

I thought getting a new box would solve it, but looks like it's a viewing card "feature".

Please advise how to turn off the PIN feature, or at very least give me control of it!!

The telephone help blankly states they do not do PIN enquiries and send you to My Sky or to the box on Sky Active!

Thanks

Neil

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Community Coordinator
Shelz

Re: I want to remove any PIN protection

Hi Vully,

I understand that the request of the PIN can be frustrating however this request is built into the software of the box, and is something that is required as being part of being able to broadcast.

Pre-watershed rated content that is shown before 8pm will always ask you to verify your PIN.

I hope that this helps.

Thanks.

Shelz
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Occasional Visitor
lindushka

Just read a reply to someone else having issues with pin protection, no help whatsoever!! All they said was "it`s part of the conditions" how can that help? The user wanted info on how to control it ! They already knew it was a pain in the @rse!! My sky won`t even recognise the pin copied off the stupid viewing card and "the bill payer" is me!! Tho it has to go via my daughters a/c because we`d have to cancel everything and start over to get it in my name! 21st Century! HaHa might as well be the stone age for the amount of help we DON`T get!! As it happens my dd is in greece so I can`t get any info from her till she gets back! Bit of a long wait to watch a film! In this day and age there really should be an option for people with no kids to turn the stupid thing off!!..fed up...

Super User
Mark39

You may have found it no help, but it is a fact: Sky have to comply with a requirement to PIN protect some programmes if they are viewed before the watershed or because of their content. There's nothing you or Sky can do to 'control' that and yes, it IS irritating when there's no kids in the house!

If your Sky box won't recognise the PIN you're using it's because you're using the wrong PIN.

To be fair, it's not Sky's fault that the accountholder, who is the only person they are authorised to deal with, is in Greece. The fact that you pay the bill is irrelevant.

Not really sure what help you're expecting.

You would probably be better off, biting the bullet and starting over in your name if your daughter's going to be away for a while.

Super User
caesarome

You can change it online (via MySky) if you want and you don't need to know the previous one.

__________________________________________________________________________________________.

If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
I do not work for Sky.
Occasional Visitor
ForesterMan

I agree with the earlier comments that putting a PIN in for a household with no minors is a big pain. For one thing my wife keeps thinking it implies that an extra payment is chargeable, which of course it does not. My thinking is that if you are able to put a PIN in to view a PIN-protected programme, I do not see why you should not be able to put a PIN in to view all PIN-protected programmes - in which case it would be a matter of changing the software to accept such a global setting. That would make it a Sky responsibility. If, however, such a procedure is illegal or against viewing regulations, (though I do not see why it should be), we ought to be lobbying to get the law/regulations changed - because in this case the law is an ass.

Super User
caesarome

ForesterMan wrote:

(though I do not see why it should be), we ought to be lobbying to get the law/regulations changed - because in this case the law is an ass.

It is because Sky show age restricted films like 12,15 and 18 before 9pm in the evening and the only reason they are allowed to do this is to use the pin function.

__________________________________________________________________________________________.

If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
I do not work for Sky.
Occasional Visitor
ForesterMan

I completely understand that. You've missed my point.

Contributor
stirna

I understand this same way, he missed your point. Pin protection before 8 pm? Ok do it but give me option to enter pin ONCE and watch channels at 6 pm when i come back from job .. or give us option to switch pin off compleatly. That option is allready in my sky box, but it does not work.

Occasional Visitor
LetsSortItOut

[ Edited ]
Yes, it may be rather annoying that you can't remove the pin completely, but this is down to the software design of all Sky boxes. You will always be asked for a pin if it is before 8pm, when trying to watch age restrictive material like a film certified for 15+ (it doesn't mean just adult naughty films, but anything classified for 15+ only).
After 8 pm however, you will not require a pin, UNLESS you have set up parental control to restrict access to such material, in this instance you will be required to enter the PIN number that you chose upon setting the parental control.
Assuming that you have never set up a pin number of any kind, then when you are asked for the pin number, it is the last four digits on your viewing card, that's slotted in the front of your Sky box, once entered you can change this to something of your own choice.
If however you simply cannot remember a previously set pin number, ring Sky on: 08442411653 and follow the voice prompts for pin. Eventually you will reach a Sky adviser who can then re-set your pin for one or all boxes, if you have multiroom, you can choose the same pin for all boxes you wish, and the pin can literally be anything you like, even 0000.
This will still not disable the pin request, as stated earlier, this happens by default, it just means that you can choose something very easy to remember. Sky do this while you are on the phone, it takes a matter of a couple of minutes from start to finish.
So although not a total fix, I hope this info will go someway in helping out.
Cheers.