Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Explorer
Katie.L
Accepted Solution

I only have one hdmi port on my tv

Hi, I only have one hdmi port on my tv and that is being used by my surround sound.Iit took me ages to set up my new HD box only to find that I am unable to use my expensive surround sound as well as having the HD on. Also the remote wont work properly without the hdmi cable, I have had to resort to using the scart plug from my origional sky+ box. Could anyone tell me if there a double hdmi adapter that would enable me to have both the HD and the sourround sound on at the same time.

Thanks

Kate

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Super User
kato

Re: I only have one hdmi port on my tv

See if this is what you require.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=hdmi-splitter&tag=yahhyd-21&index=electronics&hvadid=769...

___________________________________________________________________________________________

If you have been helped by someone please click on the thumbs up icon to give them Likes.
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Super User
Mark39

Hi Katie,

I'm assuming your surround sound is a sound amp and DVD player combined, otherwise there'd be no point connecting it via HDMI to your TV. Is that correct?

If your surround sound doesn't have an HDMI input that you could connect your Sky box to, then you'll need an HDMI switch, so that you can select either of two inputs to connect to one output. Be careful - many HDMI switches/splitters don't work with Sky boxes, so make sure you can return whatever model you choose. Neet products work more reliably than most - something like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neet%C2%AE-SWITCH-input-output-Switcher/dp/B001DAHS5Q/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid...

Explorer
Katie.L

Hi, thanks for your promt reply. Yes my surround sound is an amp speakers and DVD player combined. The Blue ray DVD player has a few hdmi ports. I had a look when you mentioned it. I have connected the cable from the sky hd box to one of the ports but still cant get it to work. I have emailed the company you suggested to find out if they can help. To be honest I am fuming that I was talked into getting this box over the phone!!when my original sky+ box worked perfectly well. The sky anytime doesn't work and when I read up on it on the interactive services, to start using it I will have to move my router from another room into the room with the TV in to connect a cable..Just too much hassle for me..I haven't got a clue what I'm doing so will have to just leave it without sky anytime and no HD!!! I feel like telling Sky where to shove it!!!!! Angry.com!!! Anyway, thanks very much for your help, much appreciated.

Kate

Explorer
Katie.L

Thanks for that. I will look into it...so complicated!!!!!

Kate

Super User
Mark39

Katie.L wrote:

The Blue ray DVD player has a few hdmi ports. I had a look when you mentioned it. I have connected the cable from the sky hd box to one of the ports but still cant get it to work.

If your DVD player has hdmi input ports, then you won't need an HDMI switch.

Once you have the Sky box connected to and HDMI input on your DVD player, all you need to do to view Sky is to select the HDMI input to which it is connected. If you tell us the make and model of your surround sound amp/DVD player we may be able to give you more precise help.

Explorer
Katie.L

Hi Mark, I havent had another go at my HD yet but my souround sound is an: LG HB954PB BLU-RAY/DVD HOME CINEMA SYSTEM WITH iPOD DOCK. It's a really good system. Thanks for all the help. I'll have another go at the HD tomorrow.Think I just lost heart with it all today. 

Kate

Explorer
Katie.L

[ Edited ]

OMG!!!! I've actually done it!!! Well at least I think I have!!!! both the Sky HD box and the Surround sound system are working!!!! Picture doesn't look that much different but that's fine.

Thanks again Mark for all your help, you saved me buying all kinds of contraptions.

Kate

Ps, I've been on to sky and they are sending me a wireless router to get anytime+ so it will be all up and running properly soon.

Kate

Super User
Mark39

Hi Katie, and congratulations! While you're flushed with success, one final thought: if your DVD/surround sound has an optical or coaxial sound input (sorry haven't had a chance to look yet), you can improve the sound from your Sky box immeasurably by connecting it.

Explorer
Katie.L

Hi mark, Yes it has, I had to go and buy one of them when I first got it..Its got a little light on the end of it!!! That's connected. I'm very pleased with my little self now!!! Sky were very nice when I just phoned up, at first it was an Indian call centre but the couldn't help so they connected me to Scotland and they are sending me a wireless router free of charge!!!! Success at last! Thanks again. You really helped me.

Kate