Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
LiL64

I need to move abroad anc cancel my contract for Sky Broadband

Hello, 

I'm moving our from Ireland in September and I would like to cancel my Sky Talk and Broadband services subscription.
I have been told over the phone by Sky customer support that it is not possible for me to cancel my account before the end of the minimum term, as per the Sky Terms and Conditions, and will have to pay "Penalties".

I have never received and/or signed any terms and condition from Sky.  I've been told I will receive them later... but I never did. If i was aware of this at the time of the subsciption, I would have NEVER subscibed to Sky Broadband ! 

So, I discover 6 months later that I am not able to cancel my subscription until the end of the contract, and the fact that I am leaving the country for professional reasons is not a good enough to cancel.

And of course there is no way Sky will provide the broadband services in France ... so I'm stuck here.

Do you think it is normal to ask for people to subscribe for a service and sending them the terms and conditions later?
I find this very abusive and deceitful ! 
Hoping Sky will find a fair resolution of this issue.

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Super User
caesarome

Whenever you sign up to any sky product you are then tied...

Whenever you sign up to any sky product you are then tied in for 12 months afterwards. You don't say how you signed up for this, werther you did it online or via the phone but in my experience with the later the terms and conditions are read out by the call handler. There is nothing stopping you from cancelling before the year is up but in all likely hood you will be asked to pay an early termination fee:

http://help.sky.com/my-account/billing-and-subscription/charges-for-ending-your-sky-contract-early

__________________________________________________________________________________________.

If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
I do not work for Sky.
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
LiL64

Re: Whenever you sign up to any sky product you are then tied...

I did apply directly in one of the Sky stores in Dublin. The person did show only a 1 page summary of the T&Cs and said that I will receive the full terms and condition by post. Just like i said, if I knew that I had no way to exit this contract, i would have NEVER signed up.
This is extremely UNFAIR and I even think this is not legal at all !
Sign first and we will tell you later what you are signing up for !

I did ask my Cable TV operator to cancel the contract, my Mobile operator as well ... and NONE of them did ask termination fee !
LiL64

Besides, I did send a complain and Sky did not respond till today (6 days later).
LiL64

And the Sky BroadBand T&Cs is not very likely to be read over the phone, its a 30 pages document !

http://www.sky.com/ireland/__PDF/Broadband_and_Talk_subscription_contract.pdf

Just like I said, this is very unfair to send those T&Cs AFTER asking people to sign up for a contract.
Super User
Mark39

[ Edited ]

Nothing to stop you reading them BEFORE you sign up as they're online.

Retired Staff Member
Fraser-H

Re: I need to move abroad anc cancel my contract for Sky Broadband

Good evening LiL64,

It's great to hear from one of our Sky Broadband customers although I'm sorry to read that you are looking to leave us.

I am afraid that with all of our services come with a minimum 12 month term and if cancelled within this period then a cancellation fee may be imposed due to the early termination of your contract. We are not in a position where we can assist with this over the forum so we could only ask you get in touch with our cancellations team. 

You can find all of our routes of contact by going to this page.

I am sorry that I could not be more help with this.

Thanks 

LiL64

I signed up for sky, this was in a shy shop and was given a page with only a summary of the T&Cs.
Of course, the cancellation clause wasn't on that piece of paper. Of course the sky sales people wouldn't show the full T&Cs ... Instead, I've been told I will receive those terms and conditions by mail (which never happened). This whole process is wrong !
The FULL terms and condition MUST be presented to the customers before signing.

You cannot expect people who walk into a shop to immediately go online to check the all abouts of the products before. The sales person must do his job and ADVISE the customer to his best.