Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference. Learn more about this message
Getting There
kwood
Accepted Solution

How to correctly port forward

I'm having problems configuring port forwarding on a Sky Sagem router to a Buffalo Linkstation Pro. I have set up a service (Security > Services) called NAS and told it to use TCP/UDP Start Port:9000, Finnish Port:9000, as the Buffalo Linkstation uses port 9000 as its internal port for its Web Access feature which let you see your files from the web.

I added a firewall rule to allow traffic using the service I created and forward it to 192.168.0.2, which is the address of the Buffalo Drive. I can access the drive from my home network, and externally if I type the IP address of router it takes me to the Buffalo Linkstations admin page.

However to access the Web Access feature you are supposed to got to the Buffalo Webaccaes site and type the name of your drive. The website effectively forwards you to port 9000 (or which ever port address you setup on the Buffalo drive) on your routers IP address. At this point I get a '403 - Forbidden Port' error, although when I use a port scanning software it says that port 9000 is open on my router.

As a side note I can't remote manage my router either (port 8080), as that gives a '502 Bad Gateway' error, even though I enabled this feature on the router and port scanning shows the port as open.

I tried using one of the predefined service rules and accepting all TCP traffic through the firewall (purely as a test, and I put it back after!!) and still got the same results. Bizarrely though I can FTP to it though, even though I shouldn't be able to under the routers current configuration. Is there something wrong with my router or I missing something obvious .... any help would be much appreciated!!

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Staff
Robert

Re: How to correctly port forward

Hi kwood, 

Unfortunately we do not support port forwarding and I cannot provide any advice or specific information relating to your query. Hopefully a member of the community will be able to give you more advise and support with this.

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Getting There
kwood

Hi,

This does seem to be a complete abdication of responsibility on the part of Sky.  The issue does not so much lie with my wireless network, more with the Sagem router you supplied me with lacking any utility that would enable me to setup up PAT.  As it would appear that in the re-written version of the firmware that Sky have provided, there is no utility to do this.  Which makes life quite awkward as this is after all what I need to do to enable me to access my hard drive on a particular port via the web.
It is ridiculous (and slightly insulting) to say you don't support port forwarding.  As to use an analogy, it's a bit like a car manufacturer selling me a car, in which the stereo will only play radio 1.  Then when I then complain that I can't pick up any other radio stations, they suggest asking another listener of the radio station I want to listen to find out why I can't get the station in their car.  Which is a bit of a strange approach to customer service, to say the least.

If you can't help, it may be an idea to list all the things you don't support or can't do via a Sky router on your website.  So people don't mistakenly take broadband from you, without realizing that there are a number of things you won't help with.

If you cannot provide me with a resolution to the above, then I will cancel my broadband services with you.  As port forwarding and PAT are two quite basic functions of a router, and I believe that I should be able to do them on any router supplied by any of the major broadband suppliers.

Kind regards

kwood

Protégé
simon194

kwood wrote:

I'm having problems configuring port forwarding on a Sky Sagem router to a Buffalo Linkstation Pro. I have set up a service (Security > Services) called NAS and told it to use TCP/UDP Start Port:9000, Finnish Port:9000, as the Buffalo Linkstation uses port 9000 as its internal port for its Web Access feature which let you see your files from the web.

I added a firewall rule to allow traffic using the service I created and forward it to 192.168.0.2, which is the address of the Buffalo Drive. I can access the drive from my home network, and externally if I type the IP address of router it takes me to the Buffalo Linkstations admin page.

However to access the Web Access feature you are supposed to got to the Buffalo Webaccaes site and type the name of your drive. The website effectively forwards you to port 9000 (or which ever port address you setup on the Buffalo drive) on your routers IP address. At this point I get a '403 - Forbidden Port' error, although when I use a port scanning software it says that port 9000 is open on my router.

As a side note I can't remote manage my router either (port 8080), as that gives a '502 Bad Gateway' error, even though I enabled this feature on the router and port scanning shows the port as open.

I tried using one of the predefined service rules and accepting all TCP traffic through the firewall (purely as a test, and I put it back after!!) and still got the same results. Bizarrely though I can FTP to it though, even though I shouldn't be able to under the routers current configuration. Is there something wrong with my router or I missing something obvious .... any help would be much appreciated!!

Which way is the rule set for port 9000, inbound or outbound?

I believe for the WebAccess feature to work the rule has to be outbound.

Sky DRX890 Version No: 4f3108
Pace Sky+HD Version No: 9F3003
Super User
Damien-SW

needs to be both ways,

----------------------------
If I have replied to one of your post for help and asked a question which you have answered but not got a reply from me feel free to PM to remind me to check your post.

Also if i have helped please click on kudos and if I solved the problem please make my post as a solution.

Damien
Super User
Damien-SW

kwood wrote:

Hi,

This does seem to be a complete abdication of responsibility on the part of Sky.  

Hi, its standard in the industry not to help people possibly weaken their security if something goes wrong and even if not related the person that gives advice gets blamed.  Also the problem can be quite hard to pin down when adding 3rd party hardware in.

but make sure you have the rule set for both incoming and out going communications

----------------------------
If I have replied to one of your post for help and asked a question which you have answered but not got a reply from me feel free to PM to remind me to check your post.

Also if i have helped please click on kudos and if I solved the problem please make my post as a solution.

Damien
Getting There
kwood

[ Edited ]

While I can appreciate that there has to be a line in the sand where support stops.  I think the onus is on the supplier of CPE to provide the best help and advice, especially when they have written a custom UI and firmware.

I have fixed this by following the old maxim of 'if you want somthing doing right, then do it yourself'.  However I have been very disappointed by the lack of any useful help given to me by Sky customer support!

... but thank you to the forum users that offered advice!

I'm New Here
Ba22e

The Sagem is a bit counter intuative. The firewall setup screen is rubbish and the DMZ setup does not point out that it is not a DMZ but a hole to the inside of your network. It is a secruity "feature" of the low spec piece of junk that we are forced to work with because of SKY's anoying decisions. If you want to provide external access to your network and be secure you should put in a proper firewall behind the Sagem and place your network behind that , especially if you do home banking etcetera.

you can get a reasonable firewall with Proper DMZ and VPN facilities on e-bay for under £30

Getting There
Woland

You need to type the port number into your browser address bar as well as the address e.g. http://123.123.123.123:9000

I'm New Here
thevman2308

Hi could you tell me how you got it working please, I too have port 9000 open but i am refused access from outside my home.

I'm New Here
kenyon

Hi I have Sky Router and NAS Drive and get following error when trying to setup to view my nas online...

"UPnP Gateway not found and/or doesnt support port forwarding"

How do I setup please ? Really struggling!!

Believe need to log onto my sky router but tried config ip address to allow external but not sure doing right!!

please help.

Thanks in advance

I'm New Here
WiseGuy13

Just so. Despite expecting the worst from Sky, the admin response took me by surprise. I'll switch ISP as soon as I'm able due to lack of support and frequent problems and issues.
I'm New Here
Oscar209

I agree, a laugh a minute this 'service' (used looseley!).  A young girl in the 'technical' dept didnt even know what a port was!  I've only had my service 3 months, im cancelling now and SKY can swing for if they think they can take me to court or wherever!..

AOL were even more helpful when i had a port issue!..

Getting There
Jeff50

I have just been in touch with Maplin technical support concerning this issue and they say that Sky DOES support port forwarding. So now I am looking for the way to do it.

Getting There
BarryM

I am getting exactly the same problem trying to connect to my linkstation. I am also getting various other issues with sharing on my WD TV Live and apple tv. It would seem that sky have no intention to move with the times and keep up with developments. A basic connection to the Internet is no longer enough for many of us and sky burying their heads in the sand is not going to make the problems go away, only the customers will go away. So, does anyone know a good after market wireless router that I could use on sky to overcome the problems?