Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Getting There
Harriet1987
Accepted Solution

How to connect Sky+HD box to phone line, along with Telephone and Sky Router

Hi all,

We're due to have our broadband activated later this week, as we have recently moved house.

Our house has 1 phone socket, conveniently located in the corner nearest the TV and Sky+ HD box. We plan to have our Router and Telephone connected into the same socket. 

So, using the micro filter provided by Sky, what is the best way of connecting the Router, Telephone and Sky+HD Box to the phone socket??

As I side note, I also intend to connect the Sky+HD box to the Router via the green Ethernet ports.

We are only a few weeks into our Sky subscription so apparently we need to have the Sky+HD box connected to the phone line, for 12 months minimum.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated???

Thank you

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
El Capo
PaulEK

Re: How to connect Sky+HD box to phone line, along with Telephone and Sky Router

ADSL filter onto telephone socket

Sky tv adaptor into telephone side of filter

Router into ADSL side of filter

Telephone into Sky tv adaptor

Used to work for Sky and BT ADSL tech support but please don't hate me for it :smileywink:
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Getting There
Harriet1987

Re: How to connect Sky+HD box to phone line, along with Telephone and Sky Router

Hi,

Thanks for that!

When our TV box was installed, we weren't left any other cables. I already had a Phone Socket 3 way adapter and have purchased an RJ11 to BT cable.

Am I right in thinking that this should work?

So it would be ADSL filter to the phone socket

Router connected to "modem" socket on the filter as per usual

3 way adapter fitted to phone (Filter)

Telephone and Sky Box (using standard RJ11 to BT) connected to the adapter?

Getting There
Harriet1987

Hi....

As a follow up to my previous message, we have tried the set up we suggested and it hasn't worked.

The Sky box still says that it isn't connected to a phone line.

To clarify, at the phone socket, we have the standard filter supplied with our dky router.

In the modem socket, we have the router connected and this is working fine.

In the telephone socket, we have an adapter/splitter with both the telephone and sky box connected.

The cable connecting the sky box to the socket is a 6m BT to RJ11 cable, which the guy at Maplins told me was the correct wire. But nothing is happening. Any ideas??

Thanks 

Super User
Mark39

The way you have it connected is fine. If the 'phone is working ok, the most likely possibilities in order of likelihood are

1. Wrong BT to RJ11 cable (I can't see a 6m modem cable on Maplin's site)

2. Faulty connection in the BT to RJ11 cable or faulty cable

3. Fault in the Sky box

Getting There
Neil.H

connecting it that way is absolutely fine.  I used to have the same connection.

Have you tried swapping the connections for the phone and HD box, if the problem moves then it's the adapter that's at fault.  You could also try using the RJ11 cable in the the phone, that will eliminate the cable.

Getting There
Vampchic

I was just having a read of this because its exactly what im confused about. But what is a sky tv adaptor?

Community Coordinator
LauraMac

Hi Vampchic,

A Sky adaptor, is the smaller matchbox size splitter box that is connected to the microfilter to allow you to have both a phone and Sky box connected at the same time.

On The Up
PrimalSpore

I recently had Sky HD installed but inside the box there was no RJ11 to BT cable or a Sky Adapter. Should i have been supplied with these does anyone know?

Amstrad DRX895 1TB (4F3151)
R003.047.28.00P
Getting There
AryGee

If you had the cables made up by the tech at Maplin it is possible he wired them incorrectly.  If your phone was working, (and ringing when someone called), exchanging the cable to the phone with the one to the sky box was a very good earlier suggestion.  If you can see the wires in the connectors check visually, otherwise ask around for a multi-meter.  For the sky box, at the BT end, connectors 2 and 5 should go thru to pins 3 and 4 on the RJ45.  Which end is 1 and which is 5?  It doesn't matter, though BT insists that 2 is blue (w/white stripe) and 5 is white(w/blu stripe).  Just look at the second position in from the end, being aware that the end points, 1 & 6 quite often do not have the gold coloured pins inserted making 2 & 5 the first and last points populated on the BT plug.  Simple rule, if only 4 gold contacts appear, you want the two on the ends.  These two connectors should connect, one each to either 3 or 4 on the RJ45.  On the RJ45, those are the two in the centre of 6 and once again, those two may be the only ones populated as they are the only ones needed for a sky box.  The gold conductors are very hard to touch with most meter leads unless the probes are needle sharp, you may need to use safety pins.  This 2 conductor lead will work for the sky box and may let your phone dial out or ring but NOT both.  Your phone lead needs to have pins 2,3,4,and 5 connected on the BT end, these extra wires carry the ring voltage to your phone.

Getting There
AryGee

Further thoughts to add to my earlier post.  You can plug a phone or sky box directly into the wall, either will be able to detect the phone line, but neither will work very well, if at all, a user can hear the broadband in the background of the phone's audio and the sky box will connect but the data tones will be messed up.  If the box says phone line connected neither the box nor your lead is bad.  Next unplug box from the wall, insert the filter and plug the box ONLY into the filter.  If box says phone line connected, your multi-way phone splitter is bad, if not connectted, and it did detect the line when straight into the wall, then the ADSL filter is bad.  That does not happen often, but it does happen.  One last thing, make absolutely certain the BT point we are talking about IS the only one or that no other points have phones in them without a filter.  I was caught out once trying to correct a 'one point connection' problem, the owner did indeed have only one phone point.  It was only later that it came out that his burglar alarm was capable of calling the security firm regularly with a status update.  Filter in burglar alarm, problem solved.

Graduate
dubnde

Got this problem too and have connected as suggested but sky+ box still says no connection. Will try the suggestions of swaping phone and sky+ box to see if it makes a difference. BB and Phone work okay but sky+ says no connection

Explorer
chris879

Hi All
I'm hoping someone can help me out here.I have just bought a second hd box for the bedroom,I have also setup a new Phone line for the new box but what I'm looking to find out is,how do I connect the box with the modem?Do I have to run an Ethernet cable all the way back to the downstairs modem/router or can I just plug it into the new Phone box upstairs and pick up the connection there?
Super User
Mark39

[ Edited ]

The phone line and router connections are two quite separate things.

You connect the Sky box to a phone line to gain access to the interactive services, and to comply with the contractual requirement to keep it connected for 12 months. You're also required to have all boxes connected to the phone line if you have Sky multiroom.

You only need connect the box to your router, if you want access to Anytime+ (programmes on demand). You can do this by running an ethernet cable from your modem/router to the Sky box, or by buying a wireless access point from Sky (£60, I think) or buying your own wireless access point and configuring it yourself - quite tricky.

Explorer
chris879

Ok great,thanks Mark.
I have a spare D Link router is there anyway I can use that to get a connection?