Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Occasional Visitor
Emmax1988

How long does it take to update on catch up after a shows aired

For instance games of thrones is on as we speak.. When will I be able to watch it via my xbox on the sky Atlantis catch up? At PM? An hour later? A day later?

Thanks in advance (",)

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Super User
caesarome

Re: How long does it take to update on catch up after a shows aired

It probably differs from program to program but they do not appear an hour or so later, usually around a day or so.

__________________________________________________________________________________________.

If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
I do not work for Sky.
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Occasional Visitor
Fiddlestixes

Hi there, I was just wondering the same thing... Is there really no set time period for this? Do we just have to keep checking? Is it 24 hours maybe? I'd love to know. Odd that it isn't clear already.. I'd think that most people using the service would want to know such a thing!

Retired Staff Member
GregorA

Hey Fiddlestixes,

As Caesarome advised there is no set timescale for this as it comes down to licence rights. It is just a case of keeping an eye out on the Sky On Demand section of Sky Go, however you can always check "What's on".

Thanks,

DBE
Frequent Visitor
DBE

As I just posted in another thread, acually there has been a very clear pattern right back to the beginning of SkyGo, and inded further back to the time of SkyPlayer. And it has nothing to do with licence rights. I can't imagine who dreamed that up as a reason, or why.

The pattern is:

For shows broadcast on Monday-Friday evenings EXCLUDING Bank Holday Mondays, the show appears on SkyGo either during the broadcast (sometimes) or witin an hour or so afterwards (usually). HOWEVER, of the three locations of: the 'latest added' strip at the top of the channel page, the 'latest added' strip at the top of the channel type sub-page (like Sky1 Drama, for example), and the series page, there us usually quite a difference between when it appears, with the order apparently at random. So e.g. a new episode of a Sky 1 Drama sereis may appear in the latest added strip at the top of the Sky 1 Drama page while the episode is 40 minutes into its broadcast, the latest added strip at the top of the Sky 1 page half an hour after the broadcast, and in the series page an hour after that. I just flip between those locations whle waiting.

For Sundays and bank holiday Mondays, Sky appear to have no staff in to add shows broadcast on those days to SkyGo. The staff on the Monday add the Sunday programmes, though not until after the Monday programmes, and often don't actually catch up with all the Sunday ones until Tuesday. And if there's a bank holiday Monday, it gets even worse. They don't even start adding the Sunday and Bank Holiday Monday programmes until the Tuesday, and even then only as and when between uploading that Tuesday's programmes, so many of the Sunday and bank holiday Monday programmes aren't added until the Wednesday.

This has ben consistent every single Sunday and bank holday Monday, so I'm surprised you Sky staffers dont know this.

Therefore, for example:

A Sunday show like Hawaii Five-0, on weeks with no bank holiday Monday, never appears on SkyGo until late on Monday at the earliest, and often not until Tuesday evening. When there's a Bank Holdiay Monday, the Sunday episode will never appear before Tuesday evening, and often not till Wednesday.

A Monday show like Game Of Thrones, when it is  not a Bank Holdiay Monday, will usually appear that evening on SkyGo, an hour or so after the brodcast, and sometmes even before the end of the broadcast, although it may well appear on ONE out of the latest added Sky Atlantic page strip, the latest added SkyAtlantic Drama page strip and the Game Of Thrones series page quite awhile before the others. But when there's a Bank Holiday Monday, it will NEVER appear on the Monday evening, may someimes appear quite late on the Tuesday evening, and will most often not appear unti the Wednesday when they'd finally cleared the backlog of adding all the sunday and bank holiday progrmmes while still doing that day's programmes.

So you Sky staffers here should know to expect posts wondering where Monday episodes have got to after Bank Holiday Mondays, and explain accordingly.

Or better, you should poke Sky into actually paying time-and-a-half to get the SkyGo updater staff to work normally on Sundays and Bank Holiday Mondays. Frankly, people expect TV-type  entertainment to work over weekends and bank holidays, not 'go dark' on them. And it's not as if it would make even a faintly noticeable dent in Sky's profit margin.

DBE
Frequent Visitor
DBE

Short version for those blanching at the size of my last answer:

Game of Thrones was late on SkyGo this week because it was broadcast on Bank Holiday Monday, and clearly the staff who upload the programmes don't work bank holidays or Sundays. So no Monday programmes were uploaded Monday, and starting Tuesday, the uploaders had to catch up the backlog of Sunday AND monday programmes while still doing the Tuesday and Wednesday ones.

Don't expect to see bank holiday monday programmes appear on SkyGo until late Tuesday at the earliest, often not until the Wednesday.

This isn't new, and it's not rights issues, and it happens every bank holiday.

Occasional Visitor
Girl+Welsh+Dragon

Well, Criminal Minds Season finale was just on at 9 and it was on SkyGo ready for me to watch by 10!*GWD*