Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Occasional Visitor
BrianPhil
Accepted Solution

How can I check if my broadband is secure against neighbours piggy backing my signal?

I have asked Sky a number of times how to check, but have not received a reply. Doesn anyone know how I can find out if my broadband is secure. I have a PC and 2 wireless laptops that use my connection at various times of the day, but I want to make sure no-one else is using my signal. This is even more relevant now given that Google have admitted getting information from wireless networks when doing their Streetview drives.

Any advice is welcome.

:smileyhappy:

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Super User
Dsldude

Re: How can I check if my broadband is secure against neighbours piggy backing my signal?

From default Sky send the router already enabled with WPA security switched on, remember

when you first connected your laptop to the router it would of asked you for a network key

this is what stops other people connecting.

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Contributor
Guitarhero

Re: How can I check if my broadband is secure against neighbours piggy backing my signal?

Hi,

Not sure if it's alright to do this but seems silly to open another thread when this sort of answers my question. Please accept my apologies if I'm out of order.

Dsldude wrote:

From default Sky send the router already enabled with WPA security switched on, remember

when you first connected your laptop to the router it would of asked you for a network key

this is what stops other people connecting.

I'm going to be connecting my PC to the router, once my account is activated. Will I then be able to add another PC and a laptop just by using this network key?

Sorry, never used a router before and I haven't a clue.

Thanks in advance, Linda :womanhappy:

Super User
caesarome

Yes you can do that Linda. You can have as many computers connected to your router as you want all using the same network key.

__________________________________________________________________________________________.

If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
I do not work for Sky.
Contributor
Guitarhero

Thank you caesarome your help is much appreciated. :womanvery-happy:

Occasional Visitor
jennyo

Having the same problem,sky are less than useless at giving out this info.Anyone can log onto my connection.

Community Coordinator
Malcolm-M

Hi jennyo, the Sky routers have WPA security enabled by default. If you have a concern that this is not enabled you can reset the router by holding in the reset button (recessed in the hole on the back near the power cord/button) for 5 to 10 seconds until the test light (tick) flashes.

Malcolm-M
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Visitor
sarahc74

I have a similar concern, when I connect my laptop (work one) to by wireless network at home, it tells me that I am connected to an unsecure network.  How can I check if this is the case?  When I originally connected at home, I had to install my WAP Key to use the laptop or it wouldn't let me on... surely this means it is safe? I am a bit confused...

sjc74
Contributor
Lee+Porter

It's important to remember that simply having WPA2 encryption on your broadband isn't a guaranteed methodology for people piggybacking off your internet connection - I would also recommend doing the following:

Use your wireless station access list

Very simple, but effective. By turning on the wireless station acccess option, you can effectively lock out anyone who doesn't have a mac address with permission to be on your network. You can do this by doing the following:

1.) Open a command prompt, and type ipconfig /all

This will run off a series of stats for your PC; usually the first set of alpha numeric character is your mac address - make a note of this.

2.) Block out unwelcome Mac Addresses - usually the IP address to do so is 192.168.0.1. Your username should be admin, and the password will be on the underside of the modem (Note: it is advised that you change this password at the earliest convenience).

Click on the setup tab, and then select "setup wireless access list". This will take you to a new page. At this point, it will give you a list of mac addresses currently available, which you can then proceed to add to your list of trusted wireless stations. Select "Turn on wireless access control", Press apply, and close.

3.) Turn off yor SSID - A viable option, this will cease to broadcast your SSID. You can still join networks, but you'll have to know the ID that you're looking for.

4.) Change your network key from the default - Sky do a good job of using different characters, but using your own combination, using alpha numeric characters is always recommended.

I hope this helps.

Occasional Visitor
Andrienne

I need help with this!  

Lee+Porter gave such a good answer but i don't understand how to follow his instructions :smileysad:  where do I find the wireless station access option?

I need a dummies guide.

Please can some one explain how to make my signal secure.  

Help really appreciated.

Community Coordinator
LauraMac

Hi Andrienne, 

Welcome to the forum, 

I would like to confirm that your Broadband Router is sent out to you secure and the information that Lee+Porter has supplied is over and above the normal information given. 

If you are still concerned about the level of security on your router you can change the Network Key by opening up a new web page and typing 192.168.0.1 username - admin password  - sky

If you then select the setup tab and enter a new password into the Network Key. 

LauraMac
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.