Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
QVin

Have to switch box off at mains or it won't switch on normally. Why?

This has been happening since the digital switch over in our area a couple of weeks ago. Any idea why. Also the equipment listed against my account is shown incorrectly. I received a Sky+ HD box from an engineer a while back as a replacement for my faulty Sky+ Box. However the old style box is still listed against my account, therefore I can't access Anytime+.

Any help would be appreciated. None of the options on the call centre are relevant and 'Chat' couldn't help.

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
QVin

Re: Have to switch box off at mains or it won't switch on normally. Why?

Forgot to mention. Occasionally, (again since the digital switch over) the TV guide becomes unavailable and the planner doesn't function. We've missed a few recordings through this now) as we're unaware there's a problem until the record light fails to come on when you're expecting it to? All very odd. Viewing is uninterrupted when this occurs.

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Super User
AvoriazSkier

This is nothing to do with digital switchover. You're suffering the same problems as many others who've had a planner upgrade since about the 17th July.
Still a victim of bureaucracy!
QVin

Yep. I agree. After trawling the forums it seems many others are having the same problem. Can someone from Sky please sort a fix?

Retired Staff Member
GarryC

Hi QVin,

Thanks for making these posts.

The first step in resolving these issues would be to perform a planner rebuild.  Can you give this a go for us and let us know if you see any improvement?  Also, could you let me know what you mean by the title of your thread? If you don't switch the box off at the mains, what happens?

Regards,

QVin

Hi Garry,

Did a planner re-build last night and the usual problem occurred again this morning. I hit the sky button on the remote and instead of starting up as normal, I just get a blue screen and it stays frozen like that until I turn the box off at the mains. Powering off using the remote or the button on the box itself does not work.

Has a planner rebuild worked for anybody? Doesn't seem to have reading through these forums.

Super User
AvoriazSkier

Which box do you have - Services->Settings->Details
QVin

SYSF26.80

Super User
AvoriazSkier

Which firmware version and what model (1TB, etc., manufacturer)?

QVin

Sorry, not at home at the mo so can't check. It was new in July though if that helps. Sky+ HD, 1TB I think, black with silver stripe along front. Blue lights on circle. Does that help.

Bit of an update. I followed advice from elsewhere on the forum last night and did a full system reset (turning off at mains and holding left and right arrows when turning back on etc.) and a software reset? (turn off at the mains and back on with back up button held etc.)

The machine turned on normally for the first time in over a week this morning:smileysurprised:. However I couldn't use pause/rewind etc and the planner wasn't working?

Lost all of our recordings now and the wife's putting me under huge pressure to get rid. Help!!

Super User
Mark39

Services -> Settings -> Details

Please give us the Model no. and Version no.

If I recall correctly, sys26.80 is a very old version of the Sky box firmware: are you sure this was a new box provided to you?

Anyway, to force an update to the latest version (which the installer should have done for you), do the following:

Switch off at the mains

Press and hold the backup button on the top of the box while switching on again

Continue to press the backup button until all 4 LEDs light on the front panel

Release the button and follow the on screen instructions.

QVin

Did that last night. May?? have solved the not switching on problem but as I said above, I still had issues with the planner and pause/rewing etc. this morning. Will post the specs listed above when I next get chance. Cheers

Super User
Mark39

From your description, you did a full system reset last night - did you do a forced software download as well?

QVin

I did yes.

QVin

OK

Model no. R003.047.29.00P

Version No. 973008

Operating system version R003.047.29.00P

EPG Software version 47.0.16.1

Update. Box is now swittching on normally. EPG working normally. Planner not working. Live pause, rewind, etc not working.