Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Contributor
TrickyMentalist

Re: Got it working on rooted phone

JRT1991 wrote:

TrickyMentalist

Just looking at your post, I am a little confused on why your friend needed to get their phone unlocked to use Sky Go. I can't think of any scenario where this would be needed or would help achieve anything.

If you can supply some additional details, I will see if we can help your friend.

In regards to rooted phones, you are absolutely righ rooted phones is not only a security risk in that you run the risk of exposing userids and passwords, but rooting a phone also runs the risk of "bricking" a phone, i.e. making it inoperable. This is why Sky Go does not and will not support rooted or jailbroken phones. It is extremely important to us to protect our customers and partners content and rooting is a risk to both.

Hi JRT1991,

You misunderstood my previous post.  My friend needed their phone unlocked to work on any mobile phone provider so paid for this to be done for them.  The shop that provided this service did it in a way which also rooted the phone in the process.  So my friend can not use Sky Go even though they have no idea what rooting actualy is.  Unlocking phones to other providers and rooting phones are both perfectly legitimate and legal processes anyway. 

You have twisted my comment about insecure rooting to mean something completely different to what I actually said.  Rooting is secure as the SuperUser programs allow you to give or deny root privelege when an app requests it.  My point was that due to being blocked, users will be looking for version that work with root so will be downloading them from various sources which can not always be trusted.  The posts above shows that customers are trying techniques to hide the root which could also kill their phone.  

It is Sky's unnecersary blocking of rooted phones which is leading customers to put them self in the dangerous position of bricking their phone or running other versions of Sky Go they find on the internet which may or may not steal their logins.  So please do not blame rooted phones for this issue when rooted phones are both legal, legitimate and safe.  

It is Sky's lack of supporting rooted phones which will lead to security issues and broken phones.  Lets be very clear on that.

If you read the first post correctly you would understand you do not need any more details about my friend and you cannot help them.  They are excluded from using Sky Go simply because they went to a shop to get the Mobile Phone provider lock removed.  They do not know what rooting is.

My comment was to show how stupid the sitation is and standard scare customers away from rooting answers really gets my back up.  

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Retired Staff Member
JRT1991

TrickyMentalist

My apologies, I clearly misunderstood your post, I did mention that I was confused as to the issue your friend was experiencing. Thank your the clarification.

As dsg pointed out, first and foremost Sky does have an obligation under its contracts with its content providers to take ever action possible to protect their content streamed through Sky Go. As part so this we do not support rooted phones.

I accept that rooting a phone is perfectly legal (after all if you buy a device it is your device to do with as you wish) my point as to the potential risk and exposure is exactly as you have pointed out, which is running versions of apps from sources that can not be trusted and in some cases have been distributed for malicious intent.

Sorry again for any confusion.

Joshua
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Contributor
TrickyMentalist

JRT1991 wrote:

As dsg pointed out, first and foremost Sky does have an obligation under its contracts with its content providers to take ever action possible to protect their content streamed through Sky Go. As part so this we do not support rooted phones.

Sorry again for any confusion.

Thanks for your reply to calirify this as the currently given reason.   It is not something I agree but I understand you cannot give any other answer beside the official Sky PR blurb.  

A rooted phone is the same as having administrator rights on a computer.  Sky Go works fine on a computer or laptop with administrator rights.  In theory I can do anything I want with the Sky Go content in my laptop. I can even output the content via HDMI if I wanted too.  Yet HDMI is blocked when it is on the phone.  There seems to be more blocking on phones where there is no real benefit to anyone, yet a real problem for your customers.

There is no real logical reason for blocking Sky Go on rooted phones.  Who do we need to poke in the eye to get their attention to this sillyness?

Contributor
smartpulse

Also trickymentalist mentioned that they unlocked their phone not rooted it.
Contributor
smartpulse

Sorry missed the answers whoops
Retired Staff Member
JRT1991

[ Edited ]

Trickymentalist

The rooting issue has been raised may times and the current position, which I understand will not change. Certainly in the foreseeable future is that we will not support rooted or jailbroken phones.

Frustrating as it is to many, but the obligation to DRM and securing content is the precedence I'm afraid. 

I do take your point on PCs, it is the same issue as HDMI out. Blocked on mobiles, but can't be blocked on PCs, however  the contractual arrangements accept this.

Joshua
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Visitor
PKDM

JRT1991 wrote:

TrickyMentalist

Just looking at your post, I am a little confused on why your friend needed to get their phone unlocked to use Sky Go. I can't think of any scenario where this would be needed or would help achieve anything.

If you can supply some additional details, I will see if we can help your friend.

In regards to rooted phones, you are absolutely righ rooted phones is not only a security risk in that you run the risk of exposing userids and passwords, but rooting a phone also runs the risk of "bricking" a phone, i.e. making it inoperable. This is why Sky Go does not and will not support rooted or jailbroken phones. It is extremely important to us to protect our customers and partners content and rooting is a risk to both.

To be honest, this phone reads as complete bull to me.

There is one reason, and only one reason, that Sky block rooted phones, and that is because it makes it easier for them to protect content from copying. They could protect it without, but it would make their job more difficult, so they trot out the tired old security arguments.

Let's be honest: If I wanted to copy the content available on Sky, I would hook a PC with a HDMI capture card to my Sky box and I could stream it all over the world. I could even hook up a DVB-S card and a software decryption programme and get it all without paying Sky anything. The content is out there and freely (if illegally) available.

As for customers' security, that's their choice. It's not up to Sky to enforce that.

So at least be honest, Sky. You don't allow rooted phones because it's too difficult for you. No other reason.

Visitor
PKDM

Another point to remember is that you are inviting an ongoing battle.

There are some very clever people out there. If one has a rooted (or unsupported) Android phone and wants, badly enough, to circumvent your protections, they will do so. Then you will have to update to avoid that bypass, and they will try again, ad infinitum.

Let's be honest, there are much easier and more convenient ways to pirate Sky content if you so choose. You are closing the door WAY after the horse has bolted.

Occasional Visitor
bushmonkey

Hi ive done the same new phone unlocked and now its rooted. What did your friend do about it?
Regular Visitor
paul+sheriff

this does not work not only on rooted phones but unrooted my razr i is brand new out of box and on jelly bean and yet it says not working on rooted phone when the phone is not rooted sky says there is a update on the app for razr i but it still does not work there are hundreds of comments people saying not working on jelleybean after new update they should take this of the list of app that work for razr i as it clearly does not work 

Super User
caesarome

paul+sheriff wrote:

this does not work not only on rooted phones but unrooted my razr i is brand new out of box and on jelly bean and yet it says not working on rooted phone

Sky have put this notice up about your phone:

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Go-on-Android/Sky-Go-RAZRi-amp-Nexus-4-7/td-p/927940/jump-to/first-u...

__________________________________________________________________________________________.

If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
I do not work for Sky.