Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Contributor
reebokrebel

Got it working on rooted phone

Hi all,

If you have a rooted phone, install the free app from the android market called OTA Rootkeeper...

https://market.android.com/details?id=org.projectvoodoo.otarootkeeper

Once installed, there's a "protect root" button which backs up your rooting.  There is then a "Temp unroot".

Press this and your phone is temporarily unrooted.

Sky Go now works for me on the Sports channels, etc.

Obviously the phone is now unrooted until you run the Rootkeeper app and "restore root".

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
MrPontipine

Re: Got it working on rooted phone

Interesting that worked for you - it was the first thing i tried and no luck. 

Might have to try switching S-OFF and see if that helps...

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Contributor
reebokrebel

MrPontipine wrote:

Interesting that worked for you - it was the first thing i tried and no luck. 

Might have to try switching S-OFF and see if that helps...

Well my phone was in a funny state.  I had tried unrooting as best I could, thought I had got it 100% back to normal.  But apps such as UniversalAndRoot said my phone was rooted.

So I decided to go back to fully rooted, then try the Rootkeeper app.  And now it all works.

Contributor
android+fan

tried this on my rooted desire HD and it didn t work
Contributor
android+fan

[ Edited ]

Skizza over on xDA has built a similar destined just to get it working on rooted devices,he is still testing it but has post a video of it working so it so t be long till its sorted they also have it working on other devices

Contributor
android+fan

Update ...if your devic3 is not support like a galaxy nexus or even galaxy tab then they have it working. The issue of it not working on rooted devicesis nearly there working on some not on other.just go to xda and in android got apps and games there's a full thread about it in there
Contributor
reebokrebel

For the people who say this isn't working, once you have pressed the "temp un-root" button, what happens if you then run root checker...

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.joeykrim.rootcheck

Does it say you are rooted or not?

Occasional Visitor
beeefy

It says you do not have proper root access.
Occasional Visitor
sf+fairhurst

Hello it says your phone deos not have propper root access yet sky go still does not work as that says this app does not work on rooted phones.

Occasional Visitor
MADROX

Downloaded this for my HTC Desire HD from the marktplace and installed the APK. The app opens just fine and loads the channel list and everything seems to work but... When I click the channel it goes black and I get the "toast2 message saying "loading 0/100", the screen then goes back and the app resets. I'm guessing this has something to do with my phone being rooted but I don't even get an error message or anything, just a quick reset.

Suppose I will have to wait for a definitive answer/update as the methods mentioned on here don't work for me.

Phone: HTC Desire HD

Android version: 2.3.5

Software number: Desire HD CoreDroid V9.0 GB 2.3.5.

Kernel: 2.6.35.14-LorDmodNCT-5.0-CFS+

Build:1.05.401.4 CL185058

Super User
KingfisherUK

As I understand it at present, with HTC devices, nothing short of a stock rom and stock kernel will work. Samsung devices are slightly different and there are ways and means (google is your friend).

Put simply, Sky have gone as far as they can to make the Android product as unworkable and unfriendly as possible. They have locked it to specific device ID's and even down to specific kernel versions. They have restricted it to a limited number of Android versions (ie 2.2 & 2.3) and have completely neglected the rapidly expanding tablet market.

Root access is a complete no-no. Yet within a matter of days of Jalibroken "i" devices being blocked, this has been bypassed again (congrats to the "i" community on that one by the way). I'm willing to bet ANY money this conveniently never gets resolved, but Android devices will be mercilessly hounded until all resistance is squashed.

The whole Android development cycle has been an unmitigated disaster. Android 4.01 SDK has been out for 5 MONTHS yet Sky won't even START work on a compatible version until the manufacturer roms are released! What is the point of an SDK then?????

I'll say it again: NETFLIX. Streaming media undoubtedly from some of the same studios as Sky, Android 2.2, 2.3, 3.x AND 4.x compatibility and no block on rooted devices. It even runs on my no-name wi-fi only tablet with a custom ICS rom! Not to mention, up to SIX registered devices.

Please Sky, just admit you are in bed with Apple and you have no real desire (no pun intended) for an Android app at all.

I am not a Sky employee, any opinions in my posts are entirely my own.

This is how I got sky go working on my rooted galaxy note2. should work for most android phones. 1) use ota rootkeeper to temp unroot, this should also backup a copy of root. 2) go to superSU app and use Full uninstall ( This deletes SuperSU apk) 3) tested root using root checker it should say rooted but no SuperSU app. 5) go back to otarootkeeper and restore root. now test sky go and it should work on every channel. The only security issue here is your phone is still rooted but without superSu permissions asking you to grant root when you access rooted apps.
Contributor
TrickyMentalist

tonstar17 wrote:
This is how I got sky go working on my rooted galaxy note2. should work for most android phones. 1) use ota rootkeeper to temp unroot, this should also backup a copy of root. 2) go to superSU app and use Full uninstall ( This deletes SuperSU apk) 3) tested root using root checker it should say rooted but no SuperSU app. 5) go back to otarootkeeper and restore root. now test sky go and it should work on every channel. The only security issue here is your phone is still rooted but without superSu permissions asking you to grant root when you access rooted apps.

It amazes me that customers have to go through the process of making their phone less secure (and more likely to have their sky login details stolen) to use an app they have been excluded from using for no real good reason.

I saw a friend over christmas who's partner had got them a new android phone and paid to have it unlocked to any phone provider. Looking through their apps I saw that it had been rooted as part of the unlocking process.  They were not even aware what rooting meant, let alone that their phone was rooted and that it also excludes them from using it to watch Sky Go on their phone.

Community Coordinator
JRT1991

TrickyMentalist

Just looking at your post, I am a little confused on why your friend needed to get their phone unlocked to use Sky Go. I can't think of any scenario where this would be needed or would help achieve anything.

If you can supply some additional details, I will see if we can help your friend.

In regards to rooted phones, you are absolutely righ rooted phones is not only a security risk in that you run the risk of exposing userids and passwords, but rooting a phone also runs the risk of "bricking" a phone, i.e. making it inoperable. This is why Sky Go does not and will not support rooted or jailbroken phones. It is extremely important to us to protect our customers and partners content and rooting is a risk to both.

Joshua
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
dsg
Contributor
dsg

@JRT

You have missed TrickyMentalist's point, which is that if your handset is rooted, in order to work around Sky's block on rooted devices, you have to remove the SuperSU app (which controls which apps have root access) and thereby grant root access to any app that requests it by default.

Re your point about the dangers of rooting, that is thoroughly disingenuous. Sky's motivation has nothing to do with protecting its customers or their content. According to your own colleagues, it is allegedly entirely about Sky's "contractual obligations" to protect its own content.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please note: An allegation is an assertion of fact. Anything posted above is merely an expression of opinion and contains no allegations, unproven, unfounded or otherwise.