Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Community Manager
Nichola76
Accepted Solution

FIX Emails going into trash folder

[ Edited ]

If you have this issue please read - Emails are going straight to trash in Sky Yahoo! Mail, or go to trash shortly after arriving in their inbox.

Root cause: 

If you are using a mail application such as Outlook, or another mail service, using POP, to access and download your emails from your Sky Y! Mailbox. POP has a setting that either keeps a copy of the email in the inbox of the mailbox on the mail server after it has been downloaded, or deletes the copy of the email from the inbox after it has been downloaded, and  moves it to the trash folder of the mailbox on the mail server.

Why has this changed when we moved from Sky Email on Google Gmail to Sky Yahoo! Mail on Yahoo!

Gmail has settings that controls how the mail server should behave when a POP client is connecting to it. (screenshot attached ... setting 2. When messages are accessed with POP)

image001.png

By default, this setting is 'keep Sky Mail's copy in the inbox' when the mailbox is created for the customer.

This setting tells Google to ignore what the POP client is telling it to do, and always keep the messages in the inbox when they are deleted. 

The setting on a POP client will look something like this (this shot is from Microsoft Outlook for Mac 2011). If leave a copy of each message on the server is checked, emails will be kept in the inbox when they're downloaded (unless they are deleted by the customer - see sub-setting below). If its not checked then the email will be deleted on download.

image002.png  

Sky Yahoo! Mail has no equivalent setting to Google. It always trusts the POP client and does what it is told to do. 

So when we moved from Sky Email to Sky Yahoo! Mail on the 4th April, any customer who had didn't have 'Leave a copy of each message on server' set, will have seen all their new emails moved to trash in Sky Yahoo! Mail each time a POP client they have authorised connects to their mailbox held by the mailserver.  

You may also have lost the emails in the inbox as Yahoo! will automatically delete the contents of each mailboxes trash folder from time to time.

Over time, you may use multiple devices and mail applications, and 3rd party mailboxes if they have different email addresses, to access their inbox on Sky Yahoo! Mail. You may not remember if you have set up a POP client previously. However, this is the most likely cause of this issue.

Are there any other explanations ?

Yes, but these are edges cases. You may have set up a filter in mail settings to move their emails from one folder, e.g. the inbox, to another folder, trash. Filters/rules in Google were not copied to Sky Yahoo! mail so if you have these they will need to be defined.

How do we stop this from happening ?

Go into the POP clients the customer is currently using and change the setting so that emails are always left on the mail server after they have been downloaded.

If this does not work, it could be because there is a POP client that has not been changed. In this case, change your password in MySky here. This will change the password in Sky Yahoo! Mail and stop POP clients (& IMAP clients) connecting to the mailbox. 

Wait 1-2 minutes to make sure the password has been successfully copied to Sky Yahoo! Mail. If you are unsure you can check this for yourself by logging in to Sky Yahoo! Mail independently of Sky.com. To do this you need to enter the web address: https://sky.mail.yahoo.com?nr=1.

Afterwards you will need to change the password in each mail client you are using to restore access to their mailbox for these mail applications.

If you have lost your emails because trash has been emptied, then you can retrieve old emails prior to 4th April by going to: http://services.sky.com/services/oldskyemail. You may have lost emails since the 4th April if your mailbox trash has been emptied by Sky Yahoo! Mail. These can NOT be restored.

Addition information on this topic can be found here

Nichola
Community Manager
Forum Help http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/help/faqpage
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Oscar321

Re: Emails going into trash folder

Hi, Without any warning about 3-4 days ago all my emails(1000 +) within my sky inbox moved to the trash folder.

Any new messages were arriving to the trash and finally,again,without me touching any settings all me emails have vanished within the inbox and trash folders.No new emails are arriving to any folder. 

In my case, receiving deleted emails is not the problem but losing all the inbox emails and the new ones.

I phoned the sky helpline 2 days ago and promised to rescue my inbox,though no success yet.

Any suggestions apart from biting my nails and losing vital emails?

Thank you

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Community Manager
Nichola76

Oscar321,

It would not be good to bite your nails down to the quick... that maybe slightly painful :smileysad:

Do you use an email client?

Can you give me as much detail as possible so we can help you out?

I know this may also sound daft but just to check the T&C's have been accepted?

There's some details here in relation to some good help advice but if still unable to get your mail please let me know :smileyhappy:

Nichola
Community Manager

Contributor
d.js1970

[ Edited ]

My messages go to the trash folder without checking my emails via an email client

Community Manager
Nichola76

[ Edited ]

Hey d.js1970,

Can you give me more detail?

Is this on a laptop/PC or a mobile device and if so can you tell me which one?

Thanks

Nichola
Community Manager

Oscar321

Well, when I go to my inbox I only have 5 e-mails in there.These are google account recovery Emails and one from Sky about the help and support. All the rest have been put in the trash folder for no apparent reason.

http://gyazo.com/09758252d0d81bf80e29875f10df3e0a

On everything I use it goes in the folder called trash, every device I've used there Emails go into the folder:iPhone,iPad,android phone and PC. I have no idea why sometimes the Emails go into the normal inbox but then later are put in the trash folder and says they're unopened Emails.

Contributor
d.js1970

It doesn't matter what I access it with. If I go to Sky.com and log into email, my emails are found in my trash folder.
Community Manager
Nichola76

Hi d.js1970,

I want to make sure you get the right solution so as much info you can give would be fantastic.

Thanks

Nichola
Community Manager

Oscar321

It's incredibly frustrating I would normally move to G-mail but this Email has a lot of job related emails.Even more so that these Emails go to my trash folder.It would be helpful to know if sky has identified the problem and  know how to fix it or how long it will be like.

Any sort of idea on when  would help me greatly. :smileyhappy:

Frequent Visitor
DiscoStu72

You need to change your settings in Outlook - I started a thread about this earlier today - the answer is in there!!
Contributor
d.js1970

DiscoStu72 wrote:

You need to change your settings in Outlook - I started a thread about this earlier today - the answer is in there!!

What for me?

Frequent Visitor
Notsoohappy

It's so frustrating when it is evident that SKY are wheeling out people with little understanding of what's gone on and putting them up as moderators or helpers to help answer mails around this carnage.

Dont you get it?  If I have mails on googlemail that I have lost from what was my googlemail inbox, then they were on there because on my mail client i DIDNT have the button clicked that said send them to trash when read.  I had the button clicked that said LEAVE THEM ON THE SERVER.  Doh!  That's why google left them in my inbox.

Why is your advice to check that we dont have that button checked?  Do you think we all randomly went in to our mails settings in anticipation of the transfer and started mucking about. 

I have received all my mails, they went straight into trash and have now been deleted without my consent.  How do I fix that?  No one has answered that one.  I use Thunderbird, but I DIDNT CHANGE ANYTHING!   You transfer caused the loss of the mails. 

Contributor
JustSteve

Hi,

Wrote abot this on another thread.

I receive my primary account email OK but nothing to any of my 3 additional emails addresses gets through.

If I login to Sky email via webmail (each account separately, before the change I could se everything just by loging into my primary account and used labels for quick identification) the new mail is in the Trash folder.

Normally I would not use webmail (unless away from home) but use Outlook 2003 on my deskto PC.

Contributor
JustSteve

Further to my reply above.

It is not mail email clients Trash/Bin BUT Yahoo webmail meaning tey o not get picked up and downloaded to my PC.

The one that stay in my primary account inbox get moved to trash after down as expected.

Contributor
JustSteve

Sorry one or two typo's above, lets try again.

It is not my email clients Trash/Bin they are going straight to BUT Yahoo's webmail, meaning they do not get picked up and downloaded to my PC when using Outlook.
The ones that stay in my primary accounts inbox get moved to trash after download as expected.