Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference. Learn more about this message
Explorer
gavinstephenson
Accepted Solution

Email to Stephen van Rooyen

Dear Stephen van Rooyen

Account number: [DELETED]

On the 29/07/2011 I ordered Sky Broadband and Sky Talk.

I received a letter signed by you (dated 30.07.2011) confirming my order of Sky Broadband and Sky Talk.

I received a further letter from you (dated 03.08.2011) that read:

Dear Mr. Stephenson,

'Welcome to Sky Talk. We're processing your order & your Sky phone service should be up and running by Wednesday 17 August 2011.'

I received a text (sender: 'Sky') (on 31.07.2011) that read:

'Good news, your Sky Broadband will be activated on 24/08/2011. You can track your order on sky.com/mysky'

My Sky Broadband did not work on the 24th. When my Sky Broadband still didn't work on  Monday 29th August, I telephoned Sky.

The first person I spoke to could not help and she put me through to another department. I spoke to a gentleman who informed me that 

my broadband account had been rejected.

and

It would take a further 8 to 10 days to be connected

The gentleman told me that a member of the Sky team should have contacted me. I couldn't agree more!

This is the first time I have used Sky products and my experience is a frustrating one. You will understand why my first impression of Sky is that it is an unprofessional, unorganised company.

I have not yet received written confirmation of my activation date as the advisor on the telephoned instructed me I would.

I checked 'My Sky > My Account' today. I have pasted it below:

[DELETED]

I request that you correct the mistakes made at the earliest opportunity.

The Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 (as amended) states that a service should be carried out with reasonable care and skill, in a reasonable time and for a reasonable cost. As my Sky Broadband was not, you may therefore be in breach of contract

I look forward to a full response to my email.

If this matter can not be brought to a satisfactory conclusion swiftly, I shall send the above by recorded delivery post and seek legal advice in order to take the matter further.

Yours faithfully,

Gavin Stephenson

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Retired Staff Member
GarryC

Re: Email to Stephen van Rooyen

Hi gavinstephenson,

First of all, I would like to express my apologies that you did not receive a call to make you aware the order had been rejected as this has now extended the duration of time you are waiting for the services to activate.

When you were made aware the order was rejected, were you advised why?  As the order did not go through correctly, it will need to be replaced and go through a full provisioning cycle again.  Do you know if an order has been placed on your account?

Many Thanks,

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Explorer
gavinstephenson

Thank you for your reply.

I do not recall being told why the order was cancelled by Sky. Perhaps they should have written to me with this information.

My Sky>My Account

Track Order

Your order was accepted on 29/08/2011

To complete your order, you need to provide Sky with a MAC code.

I have provided the MAC code to Sky in the past. 

Retired Staff Member
GarryC

Hi gavinstephenson,

If you are curious as to why the order was rejected, you can contact us and we would be able to explain further.  Unfortunately, I am unable to access your account over this forum so do not have this information to hand.

I appreciate that you have already given a MAC code in the past with your previous order, however as this is now a new order, we do require the MAC code again for it to progress.  If the MAC code you have has not yet expired you can simply re-enter that one.  If the MAC code has expired, you would need to contact your current provider and obtain a new one as we cannot do that on your behalf.

I am happy to see that things seem to be moving forward with this issue, and hopefully this order will progress with no obstacles.

Many Thanks,

Explorer
gavinstephenson

>I am happy to see that things seem to be moving forward with this issue, and hopefully this order will progress with no obstacles.

Things aren't moving forward with this issue at all. That's why I felt I needed to write the above email.

>If you are curious as to why the order was rejected, you can contact us and we would be able to explain further.  Unfortunately, I am unable to access your account over this forum so do not have this information to hand.

The order was rejected because someone didn't do their job properly. Right now, that's all the information I need. My concern is with getting connected as soon as possible.

>I appreciate that you have already given a MAC code in the past with your previous order, however as this is now a new order, we do require the MAC code again for it to progress.  If the MAC code you have has not yet expired you can simply re-enter that one.  If the MAC code has expired, you would need to contact your current provider and obtain a new one as we cannot do that on your behalf.

Thank you for that information. The MAC code expired on 18/08. I shall contact O2 for a new one. Again, shocking service by Sky.

Once I have a new MAC code, what is my next step?

Thanks

Retired Staff Member
GarryC

Hi gavinstephenson,

Once you obtain the new MAC code from O2, you can either call us and provide it over the phone, or you can enter it online.  Once we have the MAC code on our systems, the order will then begin to progress and an activation date will be set and router sent out in preparation for the activation date.

Many Thanks,

Explorer
gavinstephenson

O2 write:

Nasser: You can tell them that the account has been cancelled and you won't require a MAC code now. You need the MAC code so that they can add their line on us. But as the account is cancelled the tag on the line is also cancelled and any provider can set up broadband connection for you.

Retired Staff Member
GarryC

Hi gavinstephenson,

The O2 broadband has been cancelled down now and like Nasser has stated, this should also remove the tag on your line.  However, as our systems appear to require a MAC code still, you are going to need to contact us so that we can ensure the tag gets removed and the order progresses.

Many Thanks,

Explorer
gavinstephenson

I am not satisfied with contacting you as you advise. I am contacting you right now. 

I will ring Sky and have to explain the whole issue again.

As Sky's incompetence has created this problem, please have a person with knowledge of this issue contact me on the telephone this evening.

O2 write:

Nasser: It means that their systems are not yet updated. But trust me, you won't require the MAC code as it couldn't be generated. If you ask them then once the account is cancelled, can you generate the MAC code, then the answer will be a NO. So, you need to wait for their system to get updated.

Retired Staff Member
GarryC

Hi gavinstephenson,

I can appreciate that you are not happy having to contact us, so due to the nature of this issue, I am going to sent you a private message requesting some more information.

Many Thanks,

Getting There
Fed+Up+With+Sky1

Emails to Stepehn van Rooyan just go through to another call centre - they promise to respond, but take forever.

Hope you got your problem sorted, I've been trying 10 months now!

Explorer
CaptainSlow

Oh if only I had found this thread sooner... I'm having similar issues, although i'm lucky enough to still have a broadband service for the moment and a valid mac code (although not for much longer at the rate sky is working on this issue at).

My problem: http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Broadband-Ordering/Broadband-Migration-Issues/td-p/168851

To say they're taking the micky is an understatement!

Getting There
Patrick00

Me too.  Totally misleading letter from Stephen van Rooyen and took 40 minutes trying to resolve.  How about a) getting written informaiton right b) providing a telephone number to help sort out the mess?  c) trying not to waste the time of Sky's customoers?

Getting There
Dr+Oliver

Email to Stephen van Rooyen

Dear Mr. van Rooyen,

I refer to a letter I have received dated 28th May in which you mention a new package.

Firstly let me say that I will never do business with Sky again. If I can legally do so, I will make my subjective opinions about Sky to intending customers in my GP monthly journal.

The home move was a nightmare. It has been cancelled. I have subscribed with BT who have  guaranteed connection on the date I move in.

I spoke with some idiot in a Sky call centre in India yesterday advising I would be vacating these premises on Monday 24th June (DN21 1WJ) and the service needs to be terminated on that date in order that new tenants could not use it.

She told me it takes 31 days and advised me to cut the telephone wires.

That says it all really wouldn't you agree?

Dr. David Oliver
Getting There
Ladybbird1

[ Edited ]

@Dr. David Oliver

I am an international webmaster and also own businesses throughout the world.  I am extremely busy, so I do appreciate your comments on the experience you, and the original op have made on this forum.  AND the lack of replies (please note the original SKY respondant is now showing as retired

[REMOVED]

I am simply a client of SKY, and in the last few months I have had time to go back to my home in the UK.

Nightmare and horror!  I called one of my businesses in the caribbean, and [REMOVED] SKY decided that it looked "suspect", then decided to CUT MY TELEPONE LINE/Calls OFF

After 3 wks Sky has still not reconnected my telephone service, even tho I persisted, and eventually 2 Higher Techs & Management realised there had been more than 1 error

[REMOVED]

and thank you so much for taking the time to post a detailed report on your complaint

NB:  Even signing onto to SKY with my normal sign in details,,,, asking for my user name, which I entered correctly, was refused!, Fortunately I was tech savvy enough to overcome that

[REMOVED]

Edited Unfounded allegations/inappropriate content.