Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Occasional Visitor
Pollyboy
Accepted Solution

Do you need to have a telephone line connected to your sky box if you have your broadband conntected

I have now connected my sky+ box to my modem and was wondering if i stillhave to have my telephone cable connected to my sky box?
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Visitor
lashurst

I had Sky fitted a week ago and I'd bought the wi fi box....

I had Sky fitted a week ago and I'd bought the wi fi box. The engineer said I didn't need a phone line as I was connected by wi fi. So I'm wondering if I did need the phone connected too.

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Retired Staff Member
StacieB

Hi Pollyboy,   Thanks for your post and sorry for the lat...

Hi Pollyboy,

Thanks for your post and sorry for the late response.

If you have just one Sky box, then the box is not required to be connected to your telephone line; however you won't be able to make use of the interactive services or order Sky Store movies without the box connected to the telephone line.

With the box connected to your router, you'll be able to use our On Demand service however.

I hope this helps.

Retired Staff Member
StacieB

Hi lashurst,   Thanks for your post and sorry for the del...

Hi lashurst,

Thanks for your post and sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

The box would still need to be connected to the telephone line to order Sky Store movies and to use the interactive services. The wifi connection will only allow you to make use of the on demand service.

Contributor
no1gooner

Re: Do you need to have a telephone line connected to your sky box if you have your broadband connte

@StacieB slightly wrong info there it's true single box households don't need a phone line but you can order box office/sky store movies through your broadband since the latest update, the only requirement for the phone line is for interactive services, if you have multiroom a phone line has to be connected to all boxes no matter what.
Occasional Visitor
stephen0002012

Re: Do you need to have a telephone line connected to your sky box if you have your broadband connte

This is rubbish isnt it - I would  never have left Virgin if I had to connect a telephone line to the box - I was told that all that was needed was a wireless connector box. Which I bought. I have already downloaded from sky store before using the wireless connection - so i know it works already. So how come suddenly its been switched off

Jo16478

I think this is ridiculous and is making me debate moving to Virgin. I have Apple TV so it's not so much of an issue but don't understand why we can't access skystore via the broadband router either.
Super User
nsewell

There's been some changes since this thread was started.

If you have a Sky+HD box (except a Thomson) connected to the Internet with the latest software your box will be able to do the following over the Internet:
Make monthly callbacks to Sky
Make PPV purchases such as Sky Store and Box Office
Access limited interactive services.

Single box households are not required to have their box connected to a phone line
New multiscreen customers (on or after 18th December) are not required to have their box connected to a phone line only an Internet connection where possible.
Existing multiscreen customers (before 18th December) are currantly still required to have their box connected to a telepone line.
Community Coordinator
amberw94

Hi Jo16478 and stephen0002012,

Thanks for joining us on the community. Recently we have made some changes to the service regarding making purchases over broadband.

What nsewell said is correct, you can make purchases over broadband on a Sky+HD box however Sky+ boxes do not have the internet connection function so you will be unable to make purchases on here without a phone line connection. 

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to pop back on the forum. 

Thanks, 

Amber
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Jo16478

I had to repost as am really disappointed and to be honest annoyed by the response I received on here. After asking the question, and having a sky+ HD box connected to my Sky broadband we sat down last night to spend the £4.49 gift from Christmas on Captain Phillips. Given the responses above I was unable to purchase WITHOUT my phone line being connected. Therefore the "gift" is wasted, my evening was ruined watching old movies and I again feel like I am spending £100 a month on a service which cannot kept up to date with other services such a virgin or Apple TV!!!
Super User
Mark39

Did you check whether your Sky+HD box is running the latest software?

Jo16478

Thanks Mark. I've just checked this, as sky didn't tell me to and it does have the most up to date software.
Occasional Visitor
kdownes

I have been a multi room customer for over 2 years and neither of my boxes are connected to a phone line (both engineer installed) and I am charged correctly? Guess I should be thankful!
Super User
Mark39

Yes! Of course you could still be charged from tomorrow!

Jo16478

You are really lucky!!!