Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Occasional Visitor
Mike-N
Accepted Solution

Do you need a phone line plugged into Sky HD box or can you use ethernet cable from the router?

Hi guys,

I have just upgraded to Sky HD from Sky+. I currently have a single phone cable from the wall and connected to my wireless router (under the TV, which is also connected to x-Box and Sony Blu-ray for on-demand stuff).

The Sky instructions say I need a phone cable connected into the back of the Sky box (for Anytime+) and router (of internet).

My question is: can I not just plug an ethernet cable between the router and Sky HD box to access on-demand stuff (like I do with the Sony Blu-ray)?

I do not want to have to route another cable from elsewhere in the house (mainly because the next BT socket is on the other side of the house!).

Many thanks your help in advance,

Mike.

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Super User
Stantheman2k12

Re: Do you need a phone line plugged into Sky HD box or can you use ethernet cable from the router?

No, The ethernet cable is for anytime plus.

The phone cable is for Box office and PPV :smileyhappy:

If I Or Anyone Has Helped Please Kudos. If Your Problem Is Solved Please Click On Accept As Solution.
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Occasional Visitor
Mike-N

Re: Do you need a phone line plugged into Sky HD box or can you use ethernet cable from the router?

Hi - thanks for the quick response.

I don't use PPV or Box Office from Sky (I use Sony Entertainment Network instead). Therefore I am correct in your understanding that I therefore do not need to connect a phone cable into the HD box, and that I can just use ethernet to access Anytime+.

thanks in advance,

Mike.

Super User
Stantheman2k12

Correct :smileyvery-happy:

If I Or Anyone Has Helped Please Kudos. If Your Problem Is Solved Please Click On Accept As Solution.
Occasional Visitor
Mike-N

Fantastic - many thanks for your help.... :smileyhappy:

Contributor
Scotty+76

if you have just upgraded to an HD box you will find that you have been signed up to a new 1year contract, part of that contract is thet you MUST have the phoneline connected to the HD box for the duration of that year. People have hit this problem before and received calls and letters from sky stating that they will be subject to charges if they do not re-connect the phoneline for the duration of the contract. Once the year is over you can happily unplug the phoneline.

fogstershadow

The phone line is also needed for Sky Interactive.

Occasional Visitor
Scott+O

Hi - I literally signed up for Sky today and I am cancelling my Virgin Media phone/tv package (but keeping broadband). I will therefore not have a phone line at all a few days after sky is installed. When i asked the operative on the phone who sorted me out with my package about phone lines he categorically told me that I didnt need a phone line unless I had multi room which I am not going to need. Are you saying what he told me was not correct? I dont want to get calls or letters threatening me for being in breach of contract for not having a phone line!
Super User
kato

You have been given the wrong information (the agent is correct about multi-room).The Sky box needs to connected to a working phoneline for the first 12 months of the contract.There is a get out clause where you can pay a one off fee of £25.00 not to have it connected.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

If you have been helped by someone please click on the thumbs up icon to give them Likes.
Occasional Visitor
Scott+O

Hi - thanks for the reply. I just spoke to a support analyst online who said that it was recommended to have a phone line connected for multi room and for box office but not mandatory. I seem to be getting conflicting information here. I'm happy to pay £25 if needed to sort this out but dont want to pay if its not needed.
Super User
kato

These are Skys Terms and Conditions

This is part of those conditions.

2. Interactive Discount

(a) We will pay the Interactive Discount provided that you keep to the Conditions of this Contract.

(b) You agree that, at all times from installation to the end of the Minimum Term, your Box will be fully and effectively connected to a Minidish and to a fixed and operational telephone line in the Territory which is capable of making outgoing calls. If before the end of the Minimum Term, you disconnect your Box from your telephone line and fail to reconnect it after being notified by us that you need to do so, you must reimburse us for an amount equal to the Interactive Discount we paid for the free supply of your Digital Satellite System. This amount shall not exceed £25. If you become liable to pay this amount, we shall notify you in writing

As for muliroom installations these need to connected 24/7 even after the minimum term.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

If you have been helped by someone please click on the thumbs up icon to give them Likes.
Occasional Visitor
Scott+O

Hi there - thanks again for responding so quickly. I've just come off the phone from customer services and they confirmed what you just old me, so I have paid the £25. I don't mind the payment it's a small amount in the grand scheme of things, but it's a shame the sales person gave me the wrong information!
Super User
kato

At least it's sorted.:smileyhappy:

Occasional Visitor
BREN123

Re: Do you need a phone line plugged into Sky HD box or can you use Ethernet cable from the router?

Another thing that isn't really talked about until you receive your documents ahead of install... 

I recently spent a lot of time effort and money rewiring and decorating my home.  I have a network point and 2 Coaxial outlets behind my TV but I don't have a phone socket... 

I have just had all the cables hidden prior to plastering, new wooden floors etc, etc.

The only way a phone socket can get to that part of the room will be to go the entire way around the outside of my house.

I suppose I could convert the CAT5 point but then the box wouldn't have Internet connection instead and that point is also used by my Xbox.  If only I had run an extra cable!!

its a bit stupid really that the Box is connected to the internet but also still needs a phone line!! 

Regular Visitor
ian85

I have also been having problems with a phone connection to my multiroom box. My phone socket is in a different room to my main sky box. I have run an extension cable from the main box to the room that I need it and it works fine. Micro filters used for the broadband and the sky box. The end of the extension to the mains has got a normal by plug with 2 plugs off that. So I have run another extension up into my bedroom. ( costing a small fortune for what it actually is) and iv got nothing. Iv spoke to another user on a different forum and they said I MUST have a micro filter on it. So iv put one on and still nothing. The main sky box still works but the multi room box doesn't. Getting a bit frustrating now. The extension iv got running up to multi room is a 10m cable. Would the length of the cable have anything at all to do with it making the connection faint? Or would it just be better to get an engineer out and fit another phone socket in the bedroom?