Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Getting There
MOSTON
Accepted Solution

Do I have to use the router that sky provided.

Hello  I'm trying to speed up my xbox wireless connection by buying a N-router that lets me prioritise the xbox speed.I don't think i can do this with the sky router .or can I?

Thanks

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Community Coordinator
Robert

Re: Do I have to use the router that sky provided.

Hi Moston, I think what you are referring to is setting up either Quality of Service (QOS) or adjusting the priority that your router gives connected devices. Unfortunately the Sky Broadband Routers do not support these settings.

I understand that you are having issues with the wireless connection to your XBOX, have you tried adjusting the wireless channel number on the router to see if this helps?

Click here to view the wireless troubleshooting post on the forum. There are instructions on changing the wireless channel number and ensuring you get the best wireless signal possible from your router.

Let me know how you get on.

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Getting There
MOSTON

Hello Thanks but this made no difference. Going back to my original question If I bought a N-router that allows me to adjust priotiy would it work with sky broadand.

Thanks

Getting There
Threads

I have a similar problem. The current sky g-router signal doesn't reach the back of the house. I have n-router usb sticks attached but this is not ideal.

Thinking of going to either Orange who supply the n-router or BT.

Sky can you advise?

Community Coordinator
Robert

[ Edited ]

Hi Moston, we do not recommend using non-sky supplied routers as this is in breach of the Sky Broadband Terms and Conditions .

Non-sky equipment connected to the networ is not supported in any way by sky and we will not assist with any issues that are experienced as a result of using non-sky equipment.

I'm New Here
spindle

hi i have been using my old router on a short term BT open BB while waiting for the SKY install I wish i had not bothered The router is crap it only works from the room it is in ans i can not get a sinal in any other room so i am going to ask the same question that sky has not yet answered can i use a better router other than the cheap crap they sent me????????????????????????? a SIMPLE YES OR NO WILL DO as i can still cancel

Community Coordinator
Robert

Hi spindle, as mentioned above, we do not support non-sky routers, therefore any issues experienced by using non-sky equipment would not be supported by sky in any way.

Regarding the wireless issues you are experiencing, have you tried changing the wireless channel on the router or following the troubleshooting steps posted on our Troubleshooting Wireless Connection Issues topic?

I'm New Here
Kataca

You can use your own router.

All you have to do is turn off WiFi on the Sky provided router, connect your router to the Sky router with a short network (Cat5/6 RJ45) cable.

You can then configre the WiFi on your router, you will still be connecting to the Sky ADSL network just not using their WiFi.

I hope this helps

I'm New Here
Hal2000

Why not go to your local electrical hardware shop and buy a drum of CAT5/6 cable, visit maplin for some ends and run a cable direct to your xbox. I did this for my 2 kids both with xboxs and yes i did spend the afternoon making sure cables are hidden, but £45 well spent. The modem supports LAN and you never get wireless drop out. Simples.

Getting There
Hawkers38

Thanks, probably a dim question but how do you turn the WiFi off on the Sky router.  Also I have a MAC so can I connect using apple airport extreme once I have turned the WiFi off.  

To Sky, why don't you offer for sale a Sky router with a more powerful signal when a number of people are obviously experiencing problem with the strength of the WiFi signal ?not the router itself.

Community Coordinator
Robert

Hi Hawkers38,

To turn off the Wireless signal on your router follow the steps below, please note however that Sky do not offer technical support or assistance when using bridged routers or non-sky equipment such as Apple's Airport Extreme base station or other wireless routers not supplied by sky.

1. Log on to your router by visiting http://192.168.0.1 from a PC connected by Ethernet to the router.
  2. When prompted, enter the username: admin and password: sky (in lowercase).
  3. Navigate to the Setup tab on the top navigation bar.
  4. Scroll down and untick Enable Wireless Access Point and Allow Broadcast of Name (SSID).
  5. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click Apply.
Note once you have saved this setting, any devices you have connected to the wireless router will immediately disconnect as the signal for these devices will no longer be available.
The routers that Sky provide comply with all EU regulations in relation to the wireless signal output and strength, we cannot supply or provide a router which does not comply with the current regulations.
To ensure you get the best possible signal from the router you may wish to try some of the steps in this post.
We are currently in the process of developing a new Wireless N router however cannot provide any details on the availability of this as present.

Getting There
Hawkers38

thanks very helpful

I'm New Here
Thomas+Stevens

I understand that you do not support non Sky routers, but since they are rubbish, and I already own the latest N router can you supply me with the details to connect to the network using my own equipment.

I will be responsible for any connection or service errors for my connection.

Thanks

Super User
Damien-SW

google it and you will find away to extra your details from the sky router

----------------------------
If I have replied to one of your post for help and asked a question which you have answered but not got a reply from me feel free to PM to remind me to check your post.

Also if i have helped please click on kudos and if I solved the problem please make my post as a solution.

Damien
Getting There
Apsilon

[ Edited ]

No you don't. Forget Sky's nonsense replies andscare tactics about not supporting other routers or basically just skirting round the issue by replying with a load of guff. Most Netgear routers and in fact most routers in general will work. Yes they won't support non sky routers but so what.

You don't have to be tech savvy but it does help if only so you know what info you need to edit on the routers setup page, (usually located at: 192.168.0.1)

What you do need is your SKY internal USERNAME and PASSWORD. This is NOT your normal username and password. These are your authentication credentials that are stored on your router.

For example, if your normal user name and password are: johnsmith@sky.com and PW is Password, then this won't be it.

Your Router username and password will be something like: 445nbriunf88@skydsl and the password will be 34j434h5n or something like that. Once you have it you just enter it into the connection settings screen and thats it really. As long as you leave everything else on non static, then all your IP and DNS setting will auto configure. All you will need to do is setup a new SSID foir the router and a password to physically connect to Wifi and secure it from outsiders.

And contrary to what SKY or other posters tell you, SKY will give you these details if you badger them enough as their supplied router is as everyone has said, utter crap. I went through 3-4 of them before i had had enough and got my own and configured it. I would never ever go back to theirs.