Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Occasional Visitor
DaleTurner
Accepted Solution

Do I Need To Connect My Sky+ Box To Phone Line AND Modem?

Hi Folks,

Just after a quick bit of advice.  I've had Sky+ for a little over a year now and as per their terms and conditions, it's always been attached to the phoneline.  I'm a big user of Box Office films and a few other interactive services so I am obviously intending to keep it hooked up to the phoneline in someway.

I've recently subscribed to Sky talk and broadband too; I managed to get a very very cheap deal as an incentive to move to Sky so have just received the modem and bits and bobs.  I intend to connect the Sky box to the modem to be able to make use of a better 'Anytime' setup but my question is, does the Sky+ also need to be connected to the phoneline seperatly?

From what I can see, there are two separate sockets in the back of the Sky+; one orange which has the phoneline going into it and then there is a spare, green one which from what I can gather is for connection to the modem.  If I plug it into the modem, will it take the necessary data for the Box Office etc side of things?  Or is this completely separate? 

(My Mrs. is constantly pushing for unsightly wires to be kept to a minimum and one less would earn some brownie points)

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Super User
Mark39

Re: Do I Need To Connect My Sky+ Box To Phone Line AND Modem?

DaleTurner wrote:

If I plug it into the modem, will it take the necessary data for the Box Office etc side of things?  Or is this completely separate? 

Phone line and ethernet (modem) connection are completely separate. Perhaps one day Sky will enable the modem connection to take over completely - but not at the moment.

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
DaleTurner

Re: Do I Need To Connect My Sky+ Box To Phone Line AND Modem?

Hi Mark,

Thanks for that.  Yeah, it seems a bit silly that you have to have both bits plugged in for what I would have thought would have been the same kind of data!  I was going to just try connecting to the modem and seeing if I could enter the interactve bits without the phoneline before I found this part of the site.

Thanks for your post!