Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Occasional Visitor
Umbiki
Accepted Solution

Connections: Sky+HD Box with SkyWireless Router with Sky Anytime+

Hi All

Can anyone please tell me whether the "green" wired Sky Anytime+ ethernet connection that runs between the Sky+HD box and the Sky Wireless Router negates the need for the telephone line connection to either the Sky+HD box or the Sky Wireless Router (and if so, which); or must each still be connected to the telephone line?

Thanks in advance.

U

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Super User
caesarome

Re: Connections: Sky+HD Box with SkyWireless Router with Sky Anytime+

[ Edited ]

You can use any RJ45 cable to conect your router to your Sky HD box. You might have a yellow one that came with your router, if so you can use that. You only need to connect your Sky HD box to the phone line if you are still within the first 12 months of a contract or you a multiroom customer in that case both your boxes have to be connected to a phone line, if neither of these apply to you then your box doesn't need to be connected to the phone line as the Anytime+ service is delivered via your broadband connection.

There is an image here of the cable you need to use between your HD box and router:

http://www.sky.com/shop/tv/anytime-plus/set-up/?returnToAuthFilter=true

__________________________________________________________________________________________.

If someone has helped you then please click on the LIKES button in their post.
I do not work for Sky.
Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
Umbiki

Caesarome

Helpful - thank you. Only just had Sky installed so am committed to having the Sky+box connected to the telephone line for the time being.

The reason I asked the question is because my Sky+ box is connected to a telephone point immediately behind the TV so is neat and tidy. Similarly, it would be nice to have the router connected permanently for Sky Anytime+ purposes with a relatively short ethernet cable (such as the yellow one you mentioned, for example). But, for that to happen the router needs to be nearer to the TV/Sky+ box and be connected to the same telephone socket as the Sky+ box. I suppose I could try connecting both Sky+ box and Router via a twin telephone socket adaptor (with presumably three filters - one from the wall and a further one each from the twin socket?). Don't know if that would work - any thoughts?

I have got an ethernet lead that will run all the way across the front room from the Sky+ box to the router's present location but before I fix that more permanently, I did want to look at the option of moving the router nearer to the TV/Sky+ box and using less cabling.

Thanks again.

U

Super User
caesarome

One other way you could connect the router and Sky HD+ box is to use homeplugs, the plug into your electrical sockets, you run a RJ45 cable from your router to one of the homeplugs, another from your HD box to the other plug and the internet connection is delivered via the electrical circuit in your house:

These are some on Amazon.co.uk:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=homeplugs&x=1...

__________________________________________________________________________________________.

I do not work for Sky.
Occasional Visitor
Umbiki

Caeserome

Thank you - I'll take a closer look at the homeplugs option too. Appreciate your time and help.

U

Frequent Visitor
chris879

Hi All

I have just brought a second Sky+hd box for the bedroom and would like to know if i run another Ethernet cable from the router/modem in the living room to the second box, will this be sufficient enough to recieve Anytime. I have also connected the phone line but before i ring sky to get the second subscription i wanted to make sure everything is going to run ok.

Super User
caesarome

Yes this will work, to be able to recieve Anytime+ your HD box needs an internet connection so if you can connect it to your router via a cable then that will work just fine.

I do not work for Sky.
Frequent Visitor
chris879

Hi i have run an ethernet cable to the sky+ box from the router but the box is still saying there is no connection when i try to activate anytime. Is there a specific ethernet lead i need buy or should any one work?

Also what are the 2 white boxes on either end of the lead on my downstairs connection?

Super User
caesarome

have you activated Anytime+ online as this has to be done first ?

I do not work for Sky.
Frequent Visitor
chris879

I have anytime downstairs and when i swapped the boxes over to make sure there was no fault with the box instead of there being a message asking to activate Anytime+ the message read that there was no connection from the router.

Occasional Visitor
Stephen+McDonnell

Could some one provide a link as what ethernet cable i need? I have bought one off amazon and does not fit even tho it said it was suitablr for a sky+ hD box. Any help would be greatly apreciated

Super User
caesarome

Something like this will do the job:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Cat5e-Snagless-Patch-Cable/dp/B0000DG4X2

I do not work for Sky.
Visitor
corda05

Hi. I currently use homeplugs to 'hardwire' my computers to my modem. I am in the process of switching broadband to Sky and have just received the new router. This has 2 yellow ports, 1 blue and 1 green.  To set this up I assume that I connect one of the two yellow ports of the router to my homeplug.  My question is how to make use of the anytime+ feature.  I have a homeplug near the sky box, but the instructions specify that I should use the green modem port to connect to the sky box.  So, do I connect my homeplug to the yellow or green port of the modem in order to use this for regular connections to my PC's and anytime+ downloads to my sky box?

Staff (Retired)
GarryC

Hi corda05,

Thank you for posting your query on the forum.

All 4 of the ports on the back of the router are the same, they are coloured to help people manage their home network, so they can co-ordinate which cable is connected to which device.

Although it may advise you to plug this into the green port, it really does not matter what one you use.

I hope this has helped.

Thanks,

Visitor
corda05

Thanks Garry.  That is exactly what i needed to know.