Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Occasional Visitor
Romelow
Accepted Solution

Connection sky HD box to DVD recorder so you can copy files from the box unto blank DVDs

I am having issuing taking recorded films off my sky HD box unto a panasonic DMR ES10 DVD recorder. I called sky technical support and they didn't know what to do..completely useless. So CAN SOMEONE HELP ME WITH IT. Has anyone got the exact same set up of hd box and panansonic DVD recorder?

- Panasonic viera HD TV with 1 HDMI socket and 2 scart socket [AV1 RGB, AV2 RGB]

- SKY HD BOX has 1 HDMI socket and 2 SCART socket [DVD/VCR scart and TV scart]

- Panasonic DMR ES10: NO HDMI SOCKET BUT RF OUT, 2 SCART [AVI TV] AND AV2 EXIT

My current connections are as follows:

1) TV HDMI - SKY BOX HDMI

2) Sky box (DVD/VCR) SCART SOCKET - DVD RECORDER (AV2 Exit) SCART  SOCKET

3) TV (AV1) SCART - DVD RECORDER (AV1 TV) SCART

I can watch DVD fine but want to be able to record from sky box to blank DVD-RW.

Is the above connection correct? If not, how do I amend it?

Do I need to get coaxial cable, S video lead or audio R/W cable and in what way should I connect them.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Super User
Stantheman2k12

Re: Connection sky HD box to DVD recorder so you can copy files from the box unto blank DVDs

When recording from the sky box to the recorder.

On the recorder are you setting the option to record from the AV2 Input.

If you are and it won't record also try it on AV1.

If I Or Anyone Has Helped Please Kudos. If Your Problem Is Solved Please Click On Accept As Solution.
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Senior Member (Platinum)
Kenneth+M

Re: Connection sky HD box to DVD recorder so you can copy files from the box unto blank DVDs

See http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-HD-Recording-Playback/HD-Box-Copy-Function-RGB-Problem/td-p/27143 for some ideas, especially on the digibox Scart RGB settings, and using the other Scart Out on the digibox.

Occasional Visitor
Romelow

AT STANTHEMAN...HOW DO I CHECK WHETHER THE RECORDER IS SET TO RECORD FROM AV1 OR AV2 AND WHICH ONE SHOULD IT BE SET TO.

What I do is put the blank dvd in, flick to the relevant av screen til it give me the grey screen for dvd then I flick back to HDMI to get into my sky planner, select the film then record on dvd

Super User
Stantheman2k12

If i'm thinking right.

On your tv go to the input for the Dvd recorder.

Then with the dvd remote there should be your Source options or input, Flick through them until you get the Sky screen THROUGH your dvd player.

Then when you press record this should record qhat ever your recording on sky.

I wil check for the online manual as you read this.

If I Or Anyone Has Helped Please Kudos. If Your Problem Is Solved Please Click On Accept As Solution.
Occasional Visitor
Romelow

I don't get what you're asking me to do..can you break down.

So on my dvd remote control, I press AV til I get to blank screen for DVD, then press av again till it flips to HDMI for sky? I'm confused

Super User
Stantheman2k12

Right OK, My apologies Bear with me while i type it out

Super User
Stantheman2k12

Ok Hope this is easier to understand.

In steps.

1. press tv guide on your sky remote (now leave the remote for the time being for the sky box)
  2. With your tv navigate to the input to which you use watch your dvd's
  3. now you should have the dvd screen up (as though your going to watch a DVD)
  4. With the dvd remote. (if i have the correct manual) directly under the power button on the top left there should be a button that says input select.
  5. Press this button until you get the sky tv guide displayed on screen, 
  6. When this is displayed insert your blank dvd disk.
  7. now just to test that this will work
  8. With the dvd remote press the record button (bottom left) and leave it to record for around 5 minutes. 
  9. After 5 minutes press the stop button to stop the recording.
  10. Now with your dvd remote again, press the play button and this should play what you have just recorded.

Let me know how you get on, Any more problems feel free to ask.

Hope the instructions are understandable

Occasional Visitor
Romelow

It worked. Quality of the picture is not HD but it's ok.

So does that mean my connection is fine then??..yeap..Thanks

Super User
Stantheman2k12

As long as it plays back after recrding which i guess it does then yes your fine.

Just remember the steps incase you get stuck at a later date :smileyhappy:

Occasional Visitor
Romelow

[ Edited ]

Most of the DVD say 120m but alot of film run longer than that...Does that mean that the film won't fit on the disk?

Do they make DVD with larger capacity?

Is there a way to copy films to a external hard drive rather than to DVD recorder?

Super User
Stantheman2k12

The dvd recorder should auto adjust for recording. like the old vhs.

Double check in your manual about recording and changing the setting for length. the longer the film the lower the quality i think.

Super User
Mark39

As Stantheman says, some DVDRs have an auto setting, but if not you'll have to manually set a lower recording quality to fit the film on to the disk. Typically, the setting will allow you to fit 3 and 4 hours on to the disk, but the quality of the recording will suffer.

Alternatively, use the standard two hour setting, and pause the Sky playback at a suitable point close to 2 hours, insert a fresh DVD and continue, thereby splitting the recording over two disks.

Yes, you can record on to a PC hard drive in real time, if your PC has video and audio capture hardware and software installed. You would then connect the capture device using the auxiliary outputs (the yellow, red and white phono sockets) on the back of the Sky box.

Occasional Visitor
DCLMktg

Hi,

Very useful input from folks here!

Re: "Yes, you can record on to a PC hard drive in real time, if your PC has video and audio capture hardware and software installed."

By this, do you mean that one can record onto a PC a TV programme that is being watched and/or played back?

I have recorded some TV programmes that I'd like to keep so it's played back ones I'm interested in.

Additionally, what PC video and audio capture hardware and software do folks recommend please?

(I'm running Windows 7 64-bit).

Many thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
DCL

Super User
Mark39

DCLMktg wrote:

Re: "Yes, you can record on to a PC hard drive in real time, if your PC has video and audio capture hardware and software installed."

By this, do you mean that one can record onto a PC a TV programme that is being watched and/or played back?

Yes. All that matters is that the AV capture device can see/hear a signal from your sky box, so it doesn't matter whether it's a live broadcast or a played back recording. It's all the same to the hardware/software.

I can't help with a recommendation for the hardware/software I'm afraid. Try searching on ebay or Amazon for AV capture devices. The ones I've seen use composite video (yellow connector) and stereo audio (white/red).