Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Community Coordinator
Andy-F21

Re: Hi adirondackuk, Thanks for getting back to me. If yo...

Hi adirondackuk,

Thanks for coming back to us and letting us know.

We would advise to try connecting to the test socket to see if this would improve the speeds and to rule out any of the internal equipment or cabling being the cause of the issues you are experiencing.

Can you post the Router stats from your test socket so that we can get an accurate reading of your Broadband speeds to the Router? To do this go to http://192.168.0.1 then log in with admin and sky and click on show statistics.

If you could come back to us with these stats so we can investigate this further for you then that would be appreciated.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,
Andy
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Contributor
adirondackuk

Thanks Andy.  I did the router stats from the test socket on the 24th and these are the results I had then:

ROUTER STATISTICS

System Up Time: 240:01:02

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up TimeWANLANWLAN

PPPoA2772860350:01:16
Up120783776379910001004240:01:02
Up645314838556530560459240:00:38

Broadband Link Downstream UpstreamConnection SpeedLine AttenuationNoise Margin

10239 kbps606 kbps
30.0 dB17.6 dB
8.4 dB17.2 dB
Poll Interval:  (secs, at least 3s)
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Community Coordinator
Tricia07

Hi adirondackuk,

Can you re-post your stats again from the test socket and if you have any other telephone sockets in use, remove all devices from them and change the microfilter and ensure you do not have any extension cables connected or enhancement devices?

testsocket.gif

Also can you log into your MySky account and advice what estimated speed Sky have quoted as well as your connection details?

Thanks

Tricia07
Community Coordinator

Contributor
adirondackuk

Here is the information requested for two scenarious, the normal set  up and them through the test socket.

Normal Set up

Share Image

ROUTER STATISTICS

System Up Time: 95:30:05

Port

Status

TxPkts

RxPkts

Collisions

Tx B/s

Rx B/s

Up Time

WAN

PPPoA

0:13:50

LAN

Up

95:30:05

WLAN

Up

95:29:42

Broadband Link

Downstream

Upstream

Connection Speed

10238 kbps

606 kbps

Line Attenuation

31.5 dB

18.2 dB

Noise Margin

6.1 dB

17.2 dB

Top of Form

Running from the test socket-all other devices off the line and a new microfilter on.

Share Image

ROUTER STATISTICS    

System Up Time: 95:37:03

Port

Status

TxPkts

RxPkts

Collisions

Tx B/s

Rx B/s

Up Time

WAN

PPPoA

0:02:31

LAN

Up

95:37:03

WLAN

Up

95:36:40

Broadband Link

Downstream

Upstream

Connection Speed

10239 kbps

606 kbps

Line Attenuation

30.0 dB

17.9 dB

Noise Margin

7.9 dB

17.9 dB

Top of Form

Bottom of Form

Information from My Sky Account.

I have the unlimited package.

Promised speed:  9.6-16.4 Download

Connection Details were set on 25/01/2013 to

10.2 for download, and 0.6 for upload.

I was getting closer to 1.0 for upload last year.  I am connected to the Malmesbury exchange and that is one that you are listing as a congested exchange that will be serviced by the middle of February.

I hope this all helps.

Nilsatis

I would imagine its the congestion that is the problem not enough capacity, over subscribed etc.

Other ISP Troll Spotter.
Contributor
adirondackuk

I tend to agree and I am inclide to wait until it is fixed, two more weeks, and then retest.  However I was also told that the problems I have been having with the connection dropping out would not be caused by the congestion and that might be another problem.  What do you think Nilsatis?

Contributor
adirondackuk

My current plan is still to wait until they fix my exchange in February and then retest everything.  I must say however over the past 2-3 days I have been dropping the connection very - very frequently.  Is this something that others are experiencing?  Yes it comes back after 3-4 minutes but for applications that require a constant connection my broadband is useless.  I use wifi to get On Demand so I also have no useable On Demand at the moment either.  If this is not fixed soon I must look elsewhere for broadband.  I did putchase Sky Protect.  Could they help me get back to the service I was experiencing prior to Christmas?

Nilsatis

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Replying to your post on the 30th, Your noise jumps around a bit and for me in wrong directions in the different scenarios of connection, have you done Quite Line test.   I have been their too with congestion once they sort it will be good to go.  Though do look for other faults as well.

Noisy line! Crackles echo When making telephone calls, if so this is not good for your broadband, you can check-
Quite line test dial 17070 from test socket and listen to Zoe - best done with old type analogue phone digital (dect) will do but may have slight hiss If you hear noise- crackling pops echo Zoe will tell you , report a phone fault as a noisy line and echo on your phone can impede your Internet connection, don’t mention broadband at this time report phone fault on 08442 411 653

Again this is best done from the test socket.

Calls to Sky contact centres are free for Sky Talk Freetime, Weekends and Anytime customers.
BT customers pay 5.1p/min and 13.1p connection

Other ISP Troll Spotter.
Contributor
adirondackuk

Yes I did a quiet line test a week back and the line was fine.
Retired Staff Member
Emma-O

Re: Connection and Speed Issues

Hi adirondackuk,

Thanks for taking the time to post.

You mention in your last post your current plan is still to wait until they fix your exchange in February and then retest everything. Did you contact us directly regarding this issue? Has your issue already been escalated?

Please keep us updated on the outcome.

Thanks,

Contributor
adirondackuk

Hi Emma.  I have only gone through the forum and the issue, to my knowledge, has not been escalated.  Tell me what I need to do about this and I will do it; e.g. how do I escalate.  Thanks

Community Coordinator
lainys

Good Evening adirondackuk.

Thank you for your recent post to the community and welcome back to the Sky Help Forum.

I notice you wrote you have to wait until they fix your exchange in February and then retest everything.

Can you confirm who advised you that there was a fault in the exchange?

I look forward to your reply.

Kind Regards

Lainys
Community Coordinator

Contributor
adirondackuk

Hello lainys.  I looked on the sky website, having logged into my account.  The site shows that for my postcode, my exchange is congested and will be 'fixed' by mid feb.  At least that is what it said last week.

Community Coordinator
lainys

Hello again adirondackuk.

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly.

Even though the exchange is congested can I ask where your router is connected to the line, is it connected to the master socket or an extension?

Also can you let me know if  your  master socket has  a line going across the middle of it and 2 screws holding the face plate on? Like the one in this photo http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/media/gallerypage/user-id/27253/album-id/29/image-id/291iFA385A9D6631195...

I look forward to your reply.

Kind Regards

Lainys
Community Coordinator

Contributor
adirondackuk

I think I have addressed this already in the earlier threads.  I have the line across the plate in fact I have been using an iplate for years.  I have at the request of others in this thread don speedtest.net tests and checking of the router status through the test socket.  I did that twice actually.  All of the results are listed above.