Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Visitor
MikeyBoy01
Accepted Solution

Connecting sky box to a phone line

I have just finished renovating my lounge, and I cannot get my sky box to connect to the phone line.  Set up is that the master socket is in the next room, and I have run a phone cable from in that (blue and brown wires connected) into the lounge.  That phone cable goes directly into the 2 way adaptor (blue wire and blue / white wire) that came with my 1TB sky HD box.  THat plugs into the sky HD box.

Any suggestions on why it is not working?

Thanks.

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Super User
Mark39

Re: Connecting sky box to a phone line

I'm not sure I've understood your description, so here's how it should be connected to make it work.

At the master socket end, your extension cable needs to connect to pins 2 and 5 (the BT cables from the street connected to these pins should be coloured blue/white and white/blue). Without trying to teach you to suck eggs, your extension cable should terminate in a BT plug which goes into the socket on the master socket faceplate, rather than direct to the connections inside the master socket (I don't think you're allowed to do that!). The extension cable should connect to the outer two pins of the BT plug.

At the Sky end, it's the two inner pins of the RJ11 plug that should be connected to your extension cable.

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Visitor
MikeyBoy01

Hi, thanks for that.  The other socket I have connecting into the master socket is an older wire I guess, and blue and orange wires were connected into points 2 and 5, so I just replicated this with the new extension.  It works fine now, with 1 caveat.  My sky box says phone line connected, but the broadband is dead.  Broadband works fine when I disconnect the sky box.  My assumption is that I need a broadband filter in there somewhere.  Any suggestions of a specific filter I can get to fit my "configuration"?

Visitor
MikeyBoy01

wired in a proper second socket.  All resolved.  THanks!

Super User
Mark39

Glad you've sorted it - I think that's the neatest solution.

Visitor
claire+10

Hi need some help plz. My sky plus hd box in my living room is not connected to my phone line.  The engineer came out and put in the line but i couldnt even get online with the cable that he put in the living room i dont even know if my multi room is connected so my broadband is connected to the main socket in the hall way.

can anyone help me plz

thanks

Super User
Mark39

Hi Claire,

Bit confused here. Can you explain a bit more about the line the engineer put in the living room? Did he fit an extension socket in the living room, or just a long cable between your Sky box and the phone socket in the hallway? Is your broadband router connected to the hallway socket via an ADSL filter?

By multiroom, do you mean you have another Sky box in a different room? You can check whether it's connected to a phone line by pressing Services -> Settings -> Signal on your remote. Then page down, and it will show whether that box is connected to a phone line or not.