Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Occasional Visitor
chrisf2013

Channels freezing and breaking - no adverse weather

Hi

Why are my channels freezing and pixilating - seems to happen more on BBC channels, but does occur on all.

Has a lag as you change channels. Not cables otherwise it would be on all channels.

Its also not weather related as it has been occuring all week ?

Any ideas ?

thanks

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Staff
John-B

Channels freezing and breaking - no adverse weather

[ Edited ]

Hi chrisf2013, your pixelation issue does sound strange.

Are you getting any on-screen messages when this happens?

What type of box do you have? Is it a Sky+ or a Sky+HD?

How do you have your box connected to your TV, is this via Scart or HDMI?

Is this happening on the only SD or only HD channels or both?

If you can let me know.

Cheers

John-B
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Visitor
Dublin+Peter

Re: Channels freezing and breaking - no adverse weather

Exactly the same problem for me. Sky channels fine but everything else either intermittent or absent, and it's been getting gradually worse for the past couple of weeks. I've tried all the linked diagnostic suggestions on the sky site and the problem (Error 25) persists. Carried out a LNB reset to no avail.

The multiroom box is fine which suggests that the problem lies with the HD box itself. I'm very reluctant to pay €65 to get a Sky engineer out to look at what appears to be a very common difficulty with the HD boxes. I already pay a lot for a service I'm now not receiving.

Senior Member (Gold)
John8372

The BBC channels are usually in the low band range and most of the Sky ones are in the high band range. It can occur that the signal the box sends to the LNB to select the high band for one input can affect the other input.

A test you could try is to record one channel in the low band range, say BBC1, while watching another, say BBC2. If you can watch with no problems then the above could be the problem.

Visitor
Dublin+Peter

Thanks John. It's very hard to get a consistent enough signal to carry out the test, but I managed it for a few minutes last night. It was possible to record BBC2 while watching BBC1.

The signal faded after that. All the Irish channels are similarly affected.

Senior Member (Gold)
John8372

Did the signal go while you were still watching and recording or after you stopped?

If while still recording, have you tried the other box connect to the cables in the room where you are having problems?

If the other box works OK, that would suggest it's a box problem and not with the dish or cabling.

Visitor
Dublin+Peter

The signal went after recording, but recording seems to be irrelevant either way. The signal fluctuates regardless. It's been ok for about the last 24 hours but has started failing again this evening. Surely the problem can't be with the dish - the box and signal in the other room is fine. Anecdotally it seems this problem only affects the HD box. It's most unsatisfactory.

Senior Member (Gold)
John8372

It could be problem with the cabling. I had a problem the other week where I was losing the low band channels. I could watch a low band channel OK without a problem if I was recording another low band channel at the same time.

I checked the cabling and found the connections to the LNB on the dish were lose. Tightened them up and haven't  had a problem since.

What I think was happening is the high band 22 kHz select signal the box was sending down one cable was being picked up on the other cable due to the bad connections.

This is why doing the record test and tying the other box will help you know if it's the box or the cabling / LNB.

Staff
John-B

HI Dublin+Peter, did you try John8372's suggestion?

It may help us identify if it is a cabling issue.

Let me know when you get a minute.

Cheers

John-B
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Visitor
Dublin+Peter

Sorry I was away so couldn't try anything. I've set the HD box up on single feed and that seems to be working fine for all channels. All the Irish and BBC channels had been missing - though of course I can't record simultaneously and have lost Sky On Demand.. I can't reach the dish itself.

Super User
AvoriazSkier

Have you tried the problem box in the good box's location? If it's fine there it might indicate that, as John says, you have a cabling/connector issue or one half of the quad LNB is failing.
Still a victim of bureaucracy!