Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Visitor
chriswhite123

Cancelling a Sky Contract within 12 months

Hello Sky Community!

Just a quick question but first i'll outline my situation.

I have been a very happy Sky customer over the last 6 months (tv, broadband and calls). However due to an unfortunate personal injury I am having to move home and into a property that already has a full Sky subscription. When I move into this property I will be contributing to the payment of the existing Sky subscription.

However, because I am only 6 months into my 12 month contract, it is looking like I am going to have to continue paying the remainder of my original contract, which will be about £150 at a minimum. 

I know Sky aren't obliged to prematurely cancel my contract with them, however do you think they will be understanding enough to recognise my unfortunate situation and help me out? 

I have tried contacting the billing support by phone and they have told me they cannot help me, and that I must contact Sky Customer Relations via the sky website. I have tried doing this and have recieved no reply. I have further contacted Sky by phone and asked if I could talk to Sky Customer Relations but apparently that is not possible. 

I have ben a very happy Sky customer for the last 6 months, and when I get back on my feet and am able to live on my own again then one of the first things I plan to do is re-subscribe. 

I feel it would be unfair for me to have to pay £150+ for a sky subscription that I cannot even use, especially when I am also going to be contributing to the payment of another subscription. 

So, has anyone been in a situation like mine before, or know anyone that has and were Sky understanding and able to help them?

Best regards

A happy Sky Customer that wants to remain a happy Sky customer. 

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Regular Visitor
Ashlie-w89

Re: Cancelling a Sky Contract within 12 months

hello

Unfortunatly you cannot cancel within contract , you can however downgrade your package to the minimum package to reduce costs.  

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Frequent Contributor
nrg1972

If that's correct, if they were to downgrade the package and then terminate would they only be charged liquidated damages at the downgraded rate? Or, would it be calculated based on the original package that was signed for for the duration of the agreement?

Community Coordinator
kirkie50

Hi chriswhite123

Sorry that your circumstances have changed, hopefully you will be on the mend soon.

As this is account specific and we wouldn't ask for details over the forum I have sent you a private message.

Thanks

kirkie50
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Visitor
chriswhite123

Hello all,

I just wanted to let everyone know that Sky were very understanding and managed to help me out and terminate the contract.

What a great company, and what a great service they provide. 

I look forward to resubscribing again soon.

Much love x

Occasional Visitor
S+L+Barker

I wish this was the response I had got from Sky whilst trying to cancel my subscription. I am trying to cancel my subscription [I have three months remaining] due to me going on maternity leave. As I'll be on maternity leave I no longer have the funds to pay the monthly fee. I have called Sky three times to try and do this and have been told different information by each one. The first told me; I wasn't in contract and could cancel there and then. The second that; I was still in contract and had to pay the value of the rest of the contract. And the third; that I could not cancel over the phone and had to write to Sky to 'ask' if I can leave.

It's been a total joke.

Super User
Mark39

Clearly there's no excuse for giving you conflicting information. It shouldn't be difficult for Sky to tell from your account whether or not you're in contract. As regards cancelling early, well that is entirely a matter of Sky's goodwill. Many people don't realise when they sign up that a contract is binding and Sky are under no compulsion to allow early cancellation. Best thing to do? I'd put in writing, explaining your circumstances and asking Sky nicely if they'll let you cancel.
Occasional Visitor
ryanmorgan

i have had nothing but problems with sky they have cost me 150 pound in phone bills ringing them.i have been hung up on 3 times..when i first rang sky i was made aware by the chap on the phone he was new..he failed to mention that i would be tied to sky for 12 months..they then told me they sent me a copy of the terms and conditions in the post...they also never arrived.so after many phonecalls and bad customer service and me booking a day of work to wait for a bt engineer that never turned up..that was the final straw and i rang sky yet again to cancel.to be told i cant as im in contract never did i verbally agree or sign to agree to this..so i will not be paying my bill my box and router and dish will be getting sent back to sky and i would advise anybody to go to virgin as they will come and set you up within a few days..sky took 4 weeks and never turned up...after sky have you locked in they will soon bump your bill right up..I don't know anybody with anything good to say about this company they are crooks..I urge sky to send me bills for the duration of my contract..they can waste there time like they have wasted mine..and advice for the person on maternity just change to virgin and send sky there stuff back and buy a good shredder for there future bills and threatening letters..
Occasional Visitor
stooge7

If you think sky is bad,you'll hate virgin even more!!their tivo box is crap and lags terribly.
Cazza36

I am 6 months into my contract with sky. I have sky tv, broadband and phone. I have been very happy with sky until now. I am moving house and there is no communal dish installed. The landlord of the property has said that the dish must go on the roof. I spoke to sky and at first they said I would need to get it done myself, they did'nt mention that they had a special heights team. I have spoke to them again and they have said that they still can't do it they say I will need to get someone to do it myself. I have had a few quotes and been told that it would cost £160. I am not happy to pay out this amount of money and since sky won't allow me to cancel my tv package I will have to pay £36.75 for the next 6 months for something that I can't use. So basically it's my own fault for moving house. Sky say they take the stress out of moving house but quite frankly this has caused me nothing but stress.
Senior Member (Bronze)
fwiw

[ Edited ]

Hi Cazza 36,

You have the right to cancel your contract and pay early termination charge(s) to Sky, according to the tariffs detailed at www.sky.com/earlytermination .

If you read some of the threads  here , you will see that customers have often been told that they cannot cancel early and/or that termination charges are equivalent to the lowest priced package. As you can see in the Sky article, they are not!

I'd advise that you retain careful evidence of any cancellation you send Sky (e.g. screenshots of an email sent via My Sky, or recorded delivery letter). 

SKY HELP PAGES:
Cancellations & downgrades: http://help.sky.com/my-account/billing/remove-a-package-or-cancel-your-subscription
Complaints: http://help.sky.com/my-account/complaints/how-to-complain-to-sky
Code of Practice: http://help.sky.com/my-account/complaints/sky-customer-complaints-code-of-practice
Early Termination: www.sky.com/earlytermination
Terms & Conditions (UK): www.sky.com/shop/terms-conditions

Edit to font to make link readable for the community.

Cazza36

Hi, Thanks for the information. Can I cancel the entertainment extra at £5 and HD pack at £10.25 so I would pay £21.50 for the next 6 months instead of £36.75 or would this change mean I have to pay for another 12 months because I have change the original package.
Occasional Visitor
stooge7

no its not like the price of a low package-its BLOODY EXTORTIONATE.they wanted £260 off me to cancel.thieving +++++

Senior Member (Bronze)
fwiw

Cazza36,

My interpretation of your position is this:

If you are 6 months in to a subscription, then you appear not to have served the minimum HD subscription period of 12 months. Therefore, if you remained an active tv subscriber you would only save £5 per month by downgrading your tv package (with 31 days notice) from Entertainment Extra to Entertainment.

If you were to terminate your contract early you would have to pay the termination charges (in one payment) for the remainder of 12 month minimum terms, as follows:

£15.31 per month for your tv package + £7.44 per month for your HD Pack =£22.75 per month

You also have to factor what you're going to do concerning talk and broadband in to the equation though. Broadband Lite isn't available to non- tv subscribers, whilst Broadband Unlimited attracts a £2.50 per month surcharge for non-tv customers; or if you cancel them early you'd have to pay the applicable early termination charges on them aswell as the tv & HD.

Cazza36

So does that mean I have to continue to pay £36.75 for the next 6 months then?? So much for sky taking the stress out of moving house. Looks like it's my own fault for moving house then.