Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Occasional Visitor
bykris

Cancel Sky Land Line but keep broadband and TV

[ Edited ]

I object to the extortionate landline price increase and I am currently looking for another provider for telephone services.

I would like to know if I can cancel my landline and move it to a lower cost provider (I'm out of contract) but keep my broadband and TV package? Also by doing this will it affect the price I am paying for the other services?

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Contributor
DELILAHDAVE1

Re: Cancel Sky Land Line but keep broadmand and TV

You can keep TV but cannot have Broadband without landline.

DD

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Super User
snadge+100

[ Edited ]

just too add to what DELILAHDAVE1 has already said:--

if you cancel your land-line you will be cancelling your broadband too, sky used to allow people with phone lines from other providers have their broadband package, but now they dont, even if they did it would be almost impossible to keep your broadband active until you have a new phone supplier due to the systems in place.

one can have either Telephone and Broadband, or just telephone (where the broadband is usually provided over a standard "Twisted Pair" BT/BTwholesale/LLu line), broadband is a provision that requires a phone line as its transfer medium.

you could opt for Virgin Cable Broadband (whos broadband only price is pennies less than it is if you take a virgin  phone line with it)

or some Mobile form of broadband - I wouldnt advise either..

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Test Socket - Router Stats - inSSIDer - TCP Optimizer - DNS Benchmark - Speedchart
Service Updates - Troubleshooting - Pingtest - Speedtest - Do you need a MAC.?
Improve your Wi-Fi - Planner Rebuild & System Reset
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Frequent Contributor (Platinum)
robbbbbbbbbbbbbb

VM bb only packages are very little cheaper than the VM bb + telephone deals as the BB only attract a £49.95 installation fee which is waved for BB + telephone online applications. Rough calculations from current VM web page make it about £20 difference over a year - less than £2 a month.

It should be noted that VM are infamous for increasing charges despite any 'agreement' made up front and in my experience you need to know your rights to even have a chance of getting anywhere in those circumstances.

Super User
snadge+100

@ robbbbbbbbb - ..which is exactly what I said "whos broadband only price is pennies less than it is if you take a virgin  phone line with it" - meaning its pretty much pointless in doing so.

also VM have problems with their router and hub hardware AND over-subscribe in some areas, Ive been told that in some areas people deliberately try to use up their daily FUP allowance so they are shifted onto the 'lower tier' speed because the normal tier is slow and un-usable... whether thats true or not I dont know, I dont think lowering someones sync rate or throughput would affect what channel/network they are on.

Test Socket - Router Stats - inSSIDer - TCP Optimizer - DNS Benchmark - Speedchart
Regular Visitor
Ken.A

Re: Cancel Sky Land Line but keep broadband and TV

At least for recent subscribers you have to have your landline through Sky.

Be aware as well that BT have increased the libne rental and all ISP's and Teleco's other than VM use BT for the landlines therefore the wholesale landline price will go up. Some ISP's will hold the price down for a while to tempt people to use them  before increasing it. Also some of the cheaper line rentals recover the costs in other ways such as call charges or connection charges etc. It can be difficult to compare without a lot of work

Super User
snadge+100

Re: Cancel Sky Land Line but keep broadband and TV

Hi Ken.A :smileyhappy:

Full MPF LLu operators (such as Sky & Talk Talk) dont pay BT wholesale line rental costs, its the operators phone line and network it uses. Sky does have some customers on WLR3 though but most are on SVBN (too tell which your on simply dial 17070 from your phone, if you get sky's zoe your on SVBN, if you get BT Line test Facilitys your on WLR3)

Sky say the price hike is so they can invest in future networks etc..i.e. upgrading equipment etc, but I thought thats what the line rental was for anyway?, do they mean to say they got it wrong and the price should of been 'X'..?  I mean over 1 billion in profit last year? why cant they eat into that and reserve low prices to attract more custom thus making more profits long term! rather than risk losing custom...

WOW its 10p cheaper than BT...  lets make it just 10p cheaper than BT so we can still say its cheaper than BT in letters... crap!