Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference. Learn more about this message
Getting There
GeneralHopper

Can the ISP block ports to my router

Hi

This is not for me, this is for a friend to be applied to their Sky Broadband.

The issue is with a family member with the addiction to World of Warcraft.  My friend is wanting to block the ports for World of Warcraft for a measure in attempt to stop the family member from playing the game.

Now many will say straight away to block the port via the firewall on the router.  This has already been done but with a design flaw for this kind of thing on the router (most home routers not just Sky's) is the factory reset button....press that and bam back to normal again.  This is exactly what has happend.

Now I am wondering if upon request from the broadband account holder, can Sky block the port from their (Sky's) end to my friends router.

As someone with a networking degree, from my point of view it wouldn't be a problem, however it is down to whether Sky provide this service.  I have thought of many different ways around it.  No chance of getting on the computer itself to apply some sort of fix as they are never off the thing and always near it.  No way to get access to the WoW account as well.

I hope someone can help

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Super User
Damien-SW

Re: Can the ISP block ports to my router

not that I know of.  how computer wise is this person

----------------------------
If I have replied to one of your post for help and asked a question which you have answered but not got a reply from me feel free to PM to remind me to check your post.

Also if i have helped please click on kudos and if I solved the problem please make my post as a solution.

Damien
Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Getting There
GeneralHopper

[ Edited ]

The person with the WoW problem I am not too sure how computer wise they are.  Why do you ask?

EDIT: I don't think they are computer geniouses by a long way, just general computer know how.

Super User
Damien-SW

Hi, you could use opendns.com and set the settings so that wow servers are blocked, you could manualy configer the settings on the PC to only use open DNS service (its free)

----------------------------
If I have replied to one of your post for help and asked a question which you have answered but not got a reply from me feel free to PM to remind me to check your post.

Also if i have helped please click on kudos and if I solved the problem please make my post as a solution.

Damien