Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference. Learn more about this message
Getting There
fartoolong

Can't get Sky channels

Does anyone have any idea what's going on here?

On Friday 20th January I watched a movie on Sky Anytime+. When the movie finished a message came up saying I needed to upgrade my subscription to recieve Anytime+.

The next day I tried to watch a show I had recorded earlier and found I could not view recorded shows, record new shows or pause live tv. I called Sky and went through a few things ( switching off/on, wiping hard drive etc.) none of which worked. I was told it would cost £65 for an engineer to visit but because I had been with Sky so long they could do it at a reduced price. I decided not to bother.

On Wednesday 25th January I lost all Sky channels. Each channel showing a banner saying to 'Call 08442 415161 to upgrade your subscription to receive this channel'.

I called Sky again and was told I would need an engineers visit. I asked to reduce the channels I receive and was told if I stay with the channels I have they would wave the £65 call out fee which I agreed to.

The engineer called on Monday 30th January, tried a few things including another box and decided there was nothing wrong at this end. ie Card, box , dish ,cables all ok. Good signal being received etc.

He spoke to a number of other people at Sky Re-paired the box etc. Nothing worked so he asked the person at Sky to send out a new viewing card.

On Wednesday !st February I got the new card put it in the box and re-paired the card following the instructions the engineer gave me.

It still didn't work.

I rang Sky back and told the person I spoke to what had happened. He said I couldn't have got a new card as he had a message on my file to send out a new card. I eventually managed to persuade him that I really did have a new card. He then said as the card had not been issued on their system he would have to contact someone else to issue the card. He asked me if I could make sure someone would be in the following day to get everything sorted.

Next day of course no one rang.

On Friday 3rd February I called Sky again and was told it actually took a week to sort out the card at their end and could I call back on Thursday 9th if no one had been in touch before that. 

Thursday, Friday Sky upgrading their computer systems so can't help.

Today, 11th February I called Sky again. I go through everything that has happened so far. I was then asked the number of my Sky card. I was then told this card had been cancelled along with my earlier card. 

According to Sky I have another box ( I don't), and that this other box (that doesn't exist) has a card that I should be using.

I told them I only have one box and one TFV and that everything had been working OK until this problem came up.

I then asked her to cancel the card and box I don't have and reinstate my box and card.

She said she couldn't do that but if I upgrade to multibox she could switch on the box and card I had as I must have two boxes. I said I had only ever had one box. 

She then said according to their system I had multibox in 2003.

I have never had more than one box connected.( I have bought a Sky+ box and later I bought a SkyHD box but only connected one box) as I only have one TV.

I refused to pay for multibox if I can't use it. I also don't understand why they can't cancel a card I don't have and re-instate a card I do have.

End result of this call is that Sky are sending me a new viewing card. How this solves the situation I have no idea.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so how did you solve it? Should I just cancel Sky and then re-join later in the week? would this solve it?

Sorry about the size of this message.

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Super User
Stantheman2k12

Re: Can't get Sky channels

Hi, Welcome to the forum, I've never seen something like this before.

Is this multiroom registered at the same address as you as sky say you have or a different address. Is there anyone who could have got hold of your personal details and signed up in your name somewhere else?

If I Or Anyone Has Helped Please Kudos. If Your Problem Is Solved Please Click On Accept As Solution.
Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Super User
Stantheman2k12

also when you was pairing your card was the box connected to YOUR phone line?

Do you have sky talk and broadband with sky also?

If I Or Anyone Has Helped Please Kudos. If Your Problem Is Solved Please Click On Accept As Solution.
Getting There
fartoolong

Yes the system was connected to the phone line and the Sky Broadband router.

Super User
Stantheman2k12

Only thing it could really be i think personally is, someone may have used your details to obtain sky somewhere else which sound unlikely.

My guess would be a big system C**k up. when you log in to https://my.sky.com/mysky/myaccount/my-packages

it should show you everything which is linked to your account. 

let me know if you find anythin untoward.

Getting There
fartoolong

Don't know about the multiroom. I was here in 2003 and as I said only using one box.

I doubt anyone else is using my details as I am only being charged for what ordered. ie My Package details tie up.

Getting There
fartoolong

Btw. No one else up to this last call has mentioned multiroom. When they have checked my details they have all agreed my details are correct.

If I did have multiroom I assume they wouldn't give it me for nothing, so, why has it suddenly become a problem and why suddenly shut me off on this card out of the blue?

None of this makes sense unless someone switched me off by mistake. ie got their numbers mixed up.

Super User
Stantheman2k12

The replacement card that was sent out, it could be possible they sent you a multiroom card out instead of a replacement. this would explain the multiroom problem.

Have you missed any payments on your account recently ? and is the DD payment active on the account

Getting There
fartoolong

Direct debit working OK. They took a payment out again yesterday. At least that bit of Sky works OK.

Super User
Stantheman2k12

That bit always works :smileyhappy:

Only thing it could be is a system error, and the advisor actually sent out a multiroom card instead

I would call and double check, But when you get through tell them your account number so they definately access the correct account. (everytime i ring it comes up with someone else for some strange reaon as i live alone)