Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference. Learn more about this message
Explorer
GPMann
Accepted Solution

Can't enter network password to connect to on demand - no alpha-numeric options appearing

I received my free wireless connector (mini) yesterday and set it up this evening, following the instructions in the box (the same as the instructions in the forum post).

All went well until I selected "connect with password" option (my router doesn't have WPS).

My remote control will not scroll through the alphanumeric options so I cannot enter the password.  For example, the first character of my password is "p" but when I press the "7" key all I get is "7" - if I  press it quickly, all I get is "77".   I tried other buttons but all I'm getting are digits, not letters.

I've unplugged the sky+HD box (with the connector attached) and re-started, but that hasn't fixed it.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Getting There
Robinblood

Re: Can't enter network password to connect to on demand - no alpha-numeric options appearing

It's the WEP 64 setting on the wireless router.
Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Getting There
eels1964

Re: Can't enter network password to connect to on demand - no alpha-numeric options appearing

I had same problem - go to pages on probs with remote - about 4/5 pages back somebody outlined solution to this prob - you need to convert your password to a hex-decimal one - via a website (address is provided).  This gives a longer password, if that is too long for spaces available, you will need to reduce size of your router password - to 5/6 letters/numbers for example and then do conversion again - this is the password you then need to tap in.  Sky should be onto this but call centre don't seem to be

Explorer
GPMann

eels,

Thanks so much for pointing me in the direction of the "hexa" thread.  I found it, and converted my password to hexa, sadly it didn't work for me (the password length was ok, I just got the "difficulty connecting to network" message).

My router is several years old now, wonder if that's got anything to do with it?   Ah well, on demand will have to wait for a while longer :smileyhappy:

Thanks again

Explorer
GPMann

Robinblood,

Thanks for the reply - what exactly can I do about the WEP64 setting?

Super User
nsewell

Im not sure if this works with the mini version of the connector but it does with the regular connector.

You can plug it into your computer, open up the web browser and go to http://skywirelessconnector/login.html.
Enter Username: admin Password: sky to login.

You should then be able to connect to your router via the webpage.
Getting There
Robinblood

Problem solved, I changed security settings on the router to Wpa2.😄
I'm New Here
1285AR

Did not enter the 4 digit PIN number on set-up and the screen is asking for a PIN number now every time we try to use it, therefor we cannot get in.
Explorer
GPMann

[ Edited ]

Success at last!

The following worked for me:

- convert the network password to hexadecimal so that it can be entered using the sky remote.  There are a number of websites that can do this, just google "ascii to hexadecimal" for a selection.  Thanks again to eels for this tip.

- switch off all other wireless devices using the router (phone, laptop)

- select the "connect with password" option

- enter the hexadecimal version of the network password.

The password was accepted, and the mini connector found the network.   

Now to see what's available!

Thanks to all for assistance.