Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Getting There
MagicalFlump

Can i replace the default sky router?

Hello everyone. Recently the SAGEM F@ST2504 router with is the default that i got with Sky Broadband Unlimited is not enough for me and need a more powerfull router. Im am thinking of getting a Linksys X2000 router Phoneline AND Ethernet cable.

What i want to know is, is it possible to REPLACE the Sky router with this better Linksys x2000 one?

Thanks!

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Graduate
ashleyjones

Re: Can i replace the default sky router?

Sky's T+Cs (section 3) specifically stipulate that you must use their supplied router and you must allow the firmware to be automatically updated by sky.

Whilst not recommended* - It is possible to use another router to access the sky service, but first you need to be able to obtain your adsl connection login details which can only be obtained from the SAGEM F@ST2504 sky router. 
Only when you have your sky adsl connection login details will you be able to configure your own router to be able to access the sky service. Pm me i could help

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Explorer
Fonefixer

They like to insist you use their router purely because they can remotely log into and control it (Admitted by Level 3 Tech at Sky)

However, if you can prove (as I did) that the router is basically rubbish then they will allow you to do so and place notes on your account accordingly. They sent me a replacement router which produced the same faults (Lots of header errors) which Level 1 Techs were insisting were a BIG problem (dont you just love script readers!)

I then connected my router to the line, did some testing and not only did the errors dissappear but the speed increased by 2Meg and the attenuation figures dropped quite a bit. I sent them screenshots of my router stats, including an error count - they couldnt argue in the end.

They wont give you your login details but they will "confirm them". Google for "Sky router passwords" get the details and youll be ok.

Super User
Damien-SW

if you get a non adsl router (i.e. cable ) you can simple plug it into the back of the sky rotuer and just use the sky router a s a modem.  no problem at all

the rotuer I use is this one http://www.buffalo-technology.com/products/wireless/wireless-n-nfiniti-dual-band/wzr-hp-ag300h-airst...

its amazing and works 100% with the sky router

as I also got it could easily guide you through the setup

----------------------------
If I have replied to one of your post for help and asked a question which you have answered but not got a reply from me feel free to PM to remind me to check your post.

Also if i have helped please click on kudos and if I solved the problem please make my post as a solution.

Damien
Getting There
MagicalFlump

Re: Can I replace the default sky router?

Hi - just now I have finished on the phone to sky. 1st - its the worst customer support ever. and 2nd he said that i cannot replace the router or add but i can if i use sky. Now im not an idiot, i know what im talking about, i develop software, build computers ect - the guy on the phone thought that i didn't know anything and kept saying "I can't help you" - so much for a 'Help Centre'

But anyway. i have bought the Cisco Linksys X2000 router and still have the sky, now what i want to do is use the SKY SAGEM F@ST 2504 as a modem and the Linksys X2000 as the router and DHCP.

After a phone call we ended up ordering a £35 Wirless N router from sky to be used as a replacement or additional.

Now this is the setup we want when the new router comes:

The 'New' Sky N router as the modem (&Possibly the downstairs access point)

The Linksys router as the upsatirs router but use the Sky as the modem for the upstairs router.

Is the possible? - and if somebody could please guide me though this?

Thank you.

Getting There
MagicalFlump

bump

Retired Staff Member
batweb79

Hi MagicalFlump,

Firstly welcome to the forum and thanks for bringing your query to the community.

I'm sorry but the set up you have described is not something Sky can support you with.

We are able to talk you through the set up and connection of your computer/laptop/smartphone/games console to the Sky equipment (wired or wirelessly), anything other than that is beyond our support boundaries.

I believe it is possible to do what you are suggesting and a community member may be able to help.

Barry
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Super User
Damien-SW

how will you be connecting the two router together?

If I have replied to one of your post for help and asked a question which you have answered but not got a reply from me feel free to PM to remind me to check your post.

Also if i have helped please click on kudos and if I solved the problem please make my post as a solution.

Damien
The Fixer
Rovman

ok. plug the sky router into the phone socket and plug an ethernet cable into port 1 on the back. For now directly wire this up to your PC.

Log onto the router setup pages and turn off the wireless hotspot, you shouldnt need it and it could just confuse matters. Now disconnect the ethernet from this router that is in the back of the pc, keep that cable handy though.

Now take the cisco router and connect that to your pc via an ethernet cable, using one of the yellow ports on the back of the router. This router then needs to connect to the sky router using the ethernet cable you already have connected to the sky router plugged into the "blue" ethernet port on the back of the linksys (its seperate from the other ethernet ports)

Physically its that simple, thats he hardware setup. The easiest thing to do now is just run the software that comes with the linksys router and follow the instructions to set it up in gateway mode.

http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?pid=80&vw=1&articleid=24368

I'm New Here
FreddyLulu

Ongoing router issue

We have been using a Netwgear router supplied by Sky for a number of years now. Recently we have not been able to access the internet and if we have it soon drops off with the Network either not visable or we get the "Cannot Join Sky" message.

We have switched it on/off continuously and on reading a number of these forums are pretty flumoxed on what is the best solution.

Help if you are able would be greatly apreciated.

Thank you

Retired Staff Member
GarryC

Re: Ongoing router issue

Hi FreddyLulu,

Thanks for taking the time to post.

As you are connecting wirelessly to the router, we need to see if is the wireless that is dropping out, or if the router itself is losing it's connection.  When you notice you are unable to connect, do you see any different lights on your router than you would normally see?

Thanks,

Getting There
Skyuser2288

Hi Damien, The router you suggest looks to be around £45. Is that right as technology shops seem to suggest I would need to pay a lot more.
Super User
Damien-SW

if you can buy it for £45 you getting a good deal.  but make sure its the EU eddition not the USA and that its this modal WZR-HP-AG300H as the modual down from it is very similar but not as good

if you google WZR-HP-AG300H comes aroun the 70-90£ range

Damien
Getting There
Trev1983

Ive just spoken to sky (15 mins ago) regarding a line fault im currently having, whilst on the phone I spoke of a firmware bug ive found in the sagem router and if they are looking to resolve it. A short while after I asked could I use a non sky router and the support guy said that I could but sky would not be able to support me if I have any problems with that router, which is totally understandable and fair enough.

Getting There
Skyuser2288

Thanks Damien. I have the router now. How do I connect it please? Debra