Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Contributor
rekarts

Call out Charges?

[ Edited ]

My phone went dead again on Sunday, this is the second time in 1 month that this has happened. I sent an email to them on Sunday and noticed I had a reply from them this morning, this is what the email said.

We have established that there is a line fault detected outside your property and for us to proceed further we would need you to agree to the following statement,

“In the event that a visit to your house is required to repair a fault with your line and the engineer finds that Sky is not responsible for the fault, you will be responsible for a call out charge of £99.88, plus an hourly charge of £64.63.

Also, if you cancel the engineer's visit without at least one working day's notice or you are not at home when the engineer calls, you will have to pay the call out charge of £99.88.

Sky will contact you by phone to confirm whether the fault has been fixed. If charges are applicable we will request a one off credit / debit card payment at this time or the charges will be added to your next Sky bill.”

Please confirm that you accept this statement and I will arrange an Openreach engineer to resolve your line fault.

Now to me the way this is worded (I could be wrong) means that if the fault is outside my house and Sky are not at fault then I would be charged. I pay Sky line rental and therefore it is there job to make sure everything outside of my property is satisfactory. I understand that if the fault was inside my property then I would get the bill, however it even says in the email that a fault was found outside of my property so why put this statement in.

Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Staff (Retired)
Jenny-S

Re: Call out Charges?

Hi rekarts,

I'm sorry the Openreach Mandatory Statement has caused confusion, I'll try to explain it better.

Sky are responsible up to the test socket (faceplate removed) within your home so any fault that is found from there to the exchange is our responsibility and no charges would be incurred to yourself.

In order for us to raise a fault with Openreach their mandatory statement has to be agreed to, what the mandatory statement means is that if an engineer is booked (pre arranged with yourself) and finds that the fault lies within your home past the test socket then you would be required to pay the charges both initial call out and hourly rate.

If a visit has been pre-arranged and you are not at home when the engineer calls or you do not cancel the visit without at least one working day's notice then you are still required to pay the call out fee of £99.88.

I hope this explains it a bit better for you,

Jenny
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Please do not post any personal details or account information. Please use plain text.
Contributor
rekarts

It does Jenny-S thank you. I didn't have to agree to this last time when they didn't know where the fault was, so I found it strange when they know the fault is outside but they are asking me to agree to these charges. It is in my opinion badly worded and should be changed to stop confusion. Also I hope that I will be told when an openreach engineer has been booked because if I am not and I am not home then I again should not be responsible for a call out charge.

Frequent Contributor
ryanrazhughes

ive not long got off the phone to an advisor regarding my no dial tone, and he gave me a reference number and said someone will be intouch in 72 hours, surely it can be done quicker

Frequent Contributor
ryanrazhughes

oh and i best not be charged, it only supposedly got turned on on monday, an not woked at all

Contributor
rekarts

Surprise, surprise, Sky have not deducted any money from my bill for the 4 days I went without a landline 4 weeks ago or the 5 days and counting I am without a landline now. So I am paying for a service which I am not currently receiving. I replied to their email yesterday morning asking them to contact me, I provided my mobile number, I have had no reply to the email and I have had no phonecall either. My landline keeps riniging (it is a mains powered cordless, my corded does not ring) and I have no idea who it is to return the call. It could also be the police or insurance company trying to get in contact with us about the theft of my husbands motorbike. This landline couldn't have went dead at a worse time.

Community Coordinator
Shelz

Hi rekarts,

I apologise that you have not received a call as yet however when communicating via email our responses can take up to 10 days.

Thanks for your patience while we work hard at responding to you as soon as possible.

Shelz
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Frequent Contributor
ryanrazhughes

Hi Rekarts i just ring up and as soon as an actual person talks to ya, just say ure credits about to go its important and can they ring you back, they ask your name, address n number then call you back straight away usually, last number i tried and it worked was 08000512592, well thats what they rang me from, e-mail service is rubbish unfortunately

Contributor
rekarts

Hi ryanrazhughes, I can't afford to ring on my mobile, it usually takes them 20mins+ before I get to talk to someone and at 75p per minute on my mobile it would cost me at least £15 before I got to speak to anyone

Frequent Contributor
ryanrazhughes

Hi rekarts, yer i only had about 70p the other day and got through, luck of the draw i suppose, or certain numbers n options you pick, dunno, i blew about a tenner the other week ringing them, was on hold 4 like 8 mins then they hung up! the one rang the other day was 08442410515 then they called mer back on 08000512592, ide give it a try 4 a minute any longer than that then just hang-up, good luck getting everything sorted