Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Visitor
Tigger69

Call Barring

[ Edited ]

I'm looking at adding call barring to my sky talk features. Can you tell me if call barring works on O800 numbers?  If I take call barring how long do I have to keep it for? Is it possible to add call barring to my features, online so I don't have to phone in?  How much does it cost as well please. Thanks in advance

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Community Coordinator
Malcolm-M

Re: Call Barring

Hi Tigger, Are you looking to bar incoming or outgoing calls? You would have to contact our Sky Talk team to add or remove features. I'm not sure if you have to keep these for a month however I will try to find out.

Malcolm-M
Community Coordinator
Community Welcome, Hints & Tips
Sky Help Centre http://www.sky.com/help

New to the forum? Click here
Tagging your posts and others with relevant key words is another way to help,
it also counts towards forum rank.
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Visitor
Tigger69

Hi Malcolm  Thanks for your reply. I am looking to bar incoming calls, the majority of the calls are 08000 numbers - telemarketers who don't take No for a answer, hence why I asked if call barring does work on 08000 numbers as I had been told it doesn't. 

I am also now alternatively considering changing our phone number as these calls are seriously driving me nuts  so if you could also give me any information on that as well it would be much appreciated and might just save what sanity I have left:smileyhappy:

Community Coordinator
Malcolm-M

Hi Tigger69, Have you registered with the Telephone Preferencing Service as while it doesn't stop marketing calls it does help where you don't have an existing relationship with the company calling?

I'll check on the 0800 question for you and try to get an answer.

In some circumstances we will arrange a number change if you want to pursue this you would need to get in touch with Sky Talk via the Contact Us link.

Malcolm-M
Community Coordinator

Visitor
Tigger69

Hi Malcolm 

Yes I've been registered with TPS since around the time it was first introduced, (used to work for BT)

Call barring or changing my number are the only options I think we have left.  Although barring 08000 numbers would greatly reduce the calls, i know it wouldn't stop the numerous "unavailable" calls with pre recorded messages, silent calls or even the orders for a major catering firm who's number is simimlar to ours,  maybe changing our number would be the best option depending on if Sky will do this for me, will wait for your reply regarding the call barring first before contacting Sky Talk.  Thanks

Community Coordinator
Malcolm-M

Hi Tigger69. Sorry about the delay. I'm assured the system does accept 0800 numbers.

Malcolm-M
Community Coordinator

Occasional Visitor
Cumbrianimal

Hi, Before I switched my telephone line rental to sky I was on a BT list which prevented unwanted nuisance calls. These have returned since the switch to sky. Please advise whether I can simply register with you once, as I did with BT to prevent all kinds of unsolicited calls, or will I need to use you call barring service?  If its the latter then I have to tell you that I have rung "14258" several times, following your online instructions on how to bar the last number that called me, and all I get is a recording saying "Sorry, this service is not available. Please hang up."  Finally, if I use call barring please advise me if there are any additional charges, limits on how long the barring last, limits on how many numbers I can bar and so on?  Please advise ASAP! Scottish Power (0800-0279016) have been ringing several times a day for weeks now, only to hang up everytime, until someone finally spoke this evening! I'm not a customer of Scottich Power and after this telephone harrassment I never will be!

Occasional Visitor
Darren+Ackers

I also wish to set up call barring as I keep getting nuisance calls from these numbers, who claim to be Barclaycard and try to gain personal information even though I don't even have a Barclaycard account:

0845 3007027, 0845 3512268, 0845 3512269, 0845 3512270, 0845 3512271, 0845 3002327
I've tried the 'Contact Us' link on the Sky website which just links to several help pages and no way of contacting sky. It tells me to ring "14258" but all I get is a recording saying "Sorry, this service is not available. Please hang up."
I'm registered on TPS service and have reported it to Ofcom. Can Sky please help?

Occasional Visitor
swanley

i want to barr a mobile number how do i do this

Community Coordinator
Robert

Hi swanley, It is possible to block incoming calls from a mobile number if you know the mobile number you wish to block.

To do this you would need to contact our Sky Talk Customer Help team and request the Last Caller Barring feature to be applied to your line. This feature is charged at £3.35 per month and usually takes around 72 hours to go active on your line.

Once the feature is active you can barr the last number that called you (with the exception of 0800 and international numbers) or dial a short code to access the feature on your phone and manually enter the number(s) you wish to block. The system allows you to store up to 10 numbers.

Click here for more information on Last Caller Barring and other Sky Talk Calling Features on the Sky Help Centre.

Robert
Community Coordinator

Community Coordinator
michael-r

[ Edited ]

In addition to Robert's post, it is not possible to just block out mobile numbers. We can add the feature on to the line and this can store up to 10 numbers, which can be either landline and mobile numbers.

We are not capable of changing the landline number unless a police report reference number is provided.

Michael
Community Coordinator

Occasional Visitor
Rahul+Ramdasi

Hi,

I want to bar all outgoing calls. Is that possible?

-Rahul

Community Coordinator
michael-r

Hi Rahul,

Unfortunately Sky talk do not support a feature where we can bar any outgoing calls on the line. As an alternative suggestion, there are hand sets on the market that may be able to support a pin function; where a pin would be entered before you can access the calling feature through the handset.

Hope this helps and merry christmas!

Michael
Community Coordinator

Occasional Visitor
AlastairJ

Hi

Does that mean that there is the ability to bar some types of calls or there are no features to manage outgoing calls.

If not, is it possible to transfer from sky to another provider before end of contract by paying the remaining subscription costs?

Many thanks

Occasional Visitor
kazbo

I have call barring and it is no good for me how do I remove it from my subscription and withholding my number also its too much trouble !!!