Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Occasional Visitor
gwaenysgor
Accepted Solution

COPYING FROM HD BOX TO DISC

Has anyone successfully copied from HD box to a disc in DVD recorder.  I  have followed the instructions in manual but to no avail.  Help please.

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Pete+H2K

Re: COPYING FROM HD BOX TO DISC

Hi

When you are copying a program from you HD box to a DVD recorder, the easiest  way is to use a scart lead to connect the Sky box to the VCR (DVD Recorder). Change the channel on the VCR to view the Sky box. you can check you are viewing the correct channel by looking at the program guide on the tv, then turn the VCR on and change channel on the TV to view the VCR as if you were watching a DVD. Then press the av channel change button on the VCR / VCR remote until you see the program guide.

It is best to perform this task over night as to copy the program you need to play it, so you can not use the Sky box to watch any other program at the same time.

For this reason, there is a copy function on the Sky set top box.

Look at your planner, highlight the first program you wish to record.

If you only want to record one program then press record on your VCR and then play on the sky stb.

If the program is part of a series, or one of several programs you wish to record to disk

Press right on the Sky remote and press green for copy. The status of the program should change to copy.

Highlight  all the programs you wish to record to disk one by one and press green.

Select programs up to the length of time the disk can accept, anything from 1 hour up to around 5 - 6 hours depending on what quality you have set the VCR to record at.

select the first program, and press select / play.

You will be presented with a warning, that you are about to start a continuous play out of the programs you have marked as copy. Start your VCR to record at this point and press select.

At this time it will show you all the programs listed in sequence, and then start playing them.

If you can not view the Sky channel on your VCR / DVD Recorder, check the cables are plugged in correctly.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Pete

If this post has helped you, you can thank me by clicking the pink star to give me Kudos :-)
Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Occasional Visitor
weecie55

Your info on copying from HD to disc is very useful but can you give me 

info on were to plug in the scart or is it just trial and error ie should i be 

looking for specific ie video in and out on box and vcr

Frequent Visitor
ex-teacher

I'm in a similar position, loads of recordings in need of disc transfer but no success with Toshiba DVR 19DT.

I've followed the advice from "Malcolm" but it just doesn't result in a dvd of the hard drive recording.

Is multiple logic to blame?-ie which gear is in the control of which remote? I've tried all sorts of connections, using new cables, so it must be either control or signal routing. Simple!!

Far from it!  Please help. We , the frustrated, are a growing horde. A wiring diagram would help, with correct info about connections . My sky box, for instance, only has 1 scart socket!

sarge99-sky

[ Edited ]

This should be fairly simple ...

Cabling

Cable a SCART lead between the Sky HD box and an INPUT ONLY scart socket on the DVD Recorder. (Selecting a scart socket with INPUT and OUTPUT with poor scart leads could result in ghosting/problems with sound).

If you don't have an available scart socket on the Sky box or the DVD recorder cable using Yellow/Red/White phono connectors.

Change channels on the DVD recorder to match the name of the INPUT socket used e.g. AV1 or AV2 etc. You will need to be tuned to the input socket channel to record from the Sky HD box. Make sure you are getting an input picture AND sound from the Sky HD box.

(Differening DVD recorders have different input names so I'll not post info on specific ones)

Recording

Make sure you are tuned to the channel for SKY HD input on the DVD recorder as detailed above.

Put a blank DVD into the DVD recorder

If you have a HDD/DVD recorder make sure you are recording to the correct device i.e. either HDD for recording to the internal HDD drive so you can further edit the recording or DVD for recording straight to Disc.

Go into the SKY HD EPG and select the program to be "archived" to DVD (either use the copy function for multiple recordings in a batch) or just highlight the Sky recording to be archived.

Press SELECT on the Sky HD remote contol to get the program summary screen (i.e. program synopsis etc)

Press RECORD on the DVD recorder remote.

Press SELECT on the Sky HD remote control to start the playback.

When complete press STOP on the DVD recorder remote

Press SKY or Backup on the SKY HD remote control.

IMPORTANT

If you intend to playback the recorded disk on another DVD player/recorder you must FINALIZE the disc first. See the instructions for your DVD recorder on how to do this.

PLEASE NOTE

This method should archive material from the SKY HD box but be aware that some output (e.g. Box Office and Anytime) is protected by copy protection and will not be possible to archive.

Hope this helps ...

Cheers, sarge

If you agree with what I've posted or I've been able to help you - please add a kudo (pink button left of post) Thanks.
Occasional Visitor
potvey

hi ive tried all that still not recording to disc

Super User
Mark39

When you have  your DVD recorder connected as Sarge has recommended, and the DVDR input selected on your TV, can you see and hear the Sky programme or menu?

Occasional Visitor
Freediver

Hi Sarge/others,

I am trying to copy over all the content of a SKY+ box to a HDD recorder before my new 1Tb box is installed next week.

Of course there is no HDMI input on the recorder due to HDCP copyright controls, but is there any difference in quality between the 2 output SCARTs on the SKY+ box and can you set these to RGB or S-Video outputs?

Also - as so many users are now upgrading or swapping SKY+HD to the new 1Tb box, isn't it about time that SKY found a way to copy over the content directly from one box to another when swapping them over - even if its a paid-for extra service as part of installation. Copying from 1 hard drive to another would take just minutes if you could access the hard drive content directly as I am sure a Sky engineer would be able to do.  Or perhaps there is a way of "authorising" a user to access the Box via a USB or other digital connection - but only with a code provided by Sky (just an idea...).

I am sure I am not the only one who is really frustrated that I will not be able to see the content (non-HD of course) thats been recorded on my existing SKY+ HD box in the same quality that it was recorded originally - and not the smudgy SCART copied output.

And never mind the days it takes to copy it all over!  I really hope Sky are looking at this issue (but I don't expect a confirmation of this!)

Any advice/thoughts/ comments?

Steve

Super User
Mark39

Freediver wrote:

...but is there any difference in quality between the 2 output SCARTs on the SKY+ box and can you set these to RGB or S-Video outputs?

Can't say without seeing the manual - but the TV SCART definitely always outputs RGB. No need to change any setting.  

The so-called VCR SCART output on some equipment outputs composite only (because that's all VCRs can handle) but I'm not sure about the Sky box.

Connect your recorder to the TV SCART to be safe.

Occasional Visitor
Paff

Steve

You are absolutely right about Sky needing to provide a faster (USB to USB?) connection on HD boxes, to facilitate copying one disk contents to the replacement box . . . .

I am 2 DAYS into sorting out the cabling, connections and method for copying important recordings to DVD via a recorder and am only 24 hours away from the engineer arriving with the new box.

The Sky instruction manual does not even follow the current options on the screen, and there is no interest from Sky to provide a method other than the one discussed above. 

I will have one more go, with the benefit of this thread's advice, and then write to the Technical Director, whose Customer Services staff are saying the usual platitudes . . . .

But the important recordings will go out the door with the engineer, I fear.

Many thanks to Steve and all who contribute on this subject.

Paff

Occasional Visitor
ridgeway27

I have just encountered the same problem and was quite annoyed having forked out £354 for a new Panasonic DVD/VCR/HDD recorder. I can copy two separate Sky channels to the Sky HD box at the same time but cannot copy to the recorder if I am watching a Sky HDMI channel and, come digitalisation next year, all my viewing will be though HDMI. What I have tried and found to be successful is as follows:

1. Record to the Sky Hd box. Simple.

2. Later, and after the recording has finished, select the appropriate drive on the recorder and select the VHS channel

3. Play the recorded programme through the Planner/SkyHD box as though it was just a straightforward TV channel.

4. Press REC on the recorder. Bingo, it works a treat and quality is good.

Of course, the downside is timing. Time to record to the Sky HD box and the same time again to copy to the DVD/VCR, but, so what, it works!.  

Visitor
cmw66

Has anyone recorded from the SKY HD box via HD cable to Laptop. Would like to do this but wonders if would work, I have a copy of Nero10 on my desktop which I will try and use.

Super User
Mark39

Are you sure your laptop has an HDMI input? Most video cards have HDMI output only.

Visitor
Dadnarg

I found it quite simple Once i'd worked it out. As the HD box has only got one scart socket I purchased a Nikkai scart to 2xscart box from Maplins, plugged this into the sky box then ran a scart lead to the av1 on my tv and a scart lead to my tv in on my dvd recorder and used an HDMI lead from my recorder to the HDMI on the tv, it  works fine. The usual drawback is that you either have to watch what your recording or set it recording and switch the tv off. I hope you find this useful, it took me weeks of trial and error to solve the problem but this works and is quite easy and straight forward.

Super User
Mark39

Not sure why you need the 2x scart box? All you should need are two HDMI connections: one between your Sky box and TV and a second between the DVDR and the TV and a scart connection between the Sky box and the AV input of the DVDR, as you describe.

From your description you have no HDMI cable between your Sky box and TV, so none of your Sky viewing will be in HD.