Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Help
Help

Archived Discussions
This page has been archived
The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information. Links on this page to other sites may not work and contact information may be inaccurate. This page has been archived for future reference.
Learn more about this message
Patrick74

Buffering constantly on twitch.tv

Been having real issues trying to watch anything on twitch.tv recently, pretty much any stream I try and watch buffers all the time, 10 secs of video, 20 seconds of buffering, does not matter if i select soure or a transcoded lower res (bit rates from 1000-3500).

This is with FTTC 40/10 service, download speeds are fine, speed test results are from 30-35mb down and 8.5-8mb up pings around the 20-25ms.

I can stream no problem to twitch at a solid 2500-3500 bitrate with no issues for 12+ hours at a time.

It could be that sky are cacheing this site incorrectly which is breaking it, checking my connections it seems I am being routed through host169-rangea-akamai-aanp.cdn.enlba.isp.sky.com which could be the reason this site is now unusable.

Recently twitch have changed from RTMP-based streaming to HTTP-based streaming.

Also this site seems to be blocked by Sky https://imgur.com/ which means I cannot register to use this site!

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Contributor
Shonk

Re: Buffering constantly on twitch.tv

Stay Safe: Don't post any personal details or Sky account information. Plain text only in this box.
Patrick74

[ Edited ]

Well thought I would try to bypass the CDN servers to see if it sorts it, so far it seems a lot better.

You could give it a try see if it improves anything, currently watching 3 streams at source and no buffering.

Run an Admin cmd prompt (Start/All Programs/Accessories/Command Prompt) right click it run as administrator

Use the following command to add a windows firewall rule which blocks the CDN servers (without the "")

"netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="BlockSkyCDN" dir=in action=block remoteip=176.248.0.0/13,94.0.0.0/12 enable=yes"

If you want to enable/disable this rule or edit it to add more CDN IP addresses check the windows firewall advanced settings. (Control Panel\System and Security\Windows Firewall) Find the rule in the inbound section.

I'm sure Sky probably have more CDN servers but dont know the IP addresses for them yet.

Oh and a handy util to monitor your connections rather then using netstat -an in a command prompt is TCPView from microsoft.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/sysinternals/bb897437

Patrick74

[ Edited ]

Ok after some more checking things out, they seem to cache most things steam, iplayer, youtube, facebook etc.